Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
17 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

A pretty good December 81 here in Bristol.

1st blizzard hit us on 1st Sunday that Dec at about 11.30am; i was getting ready to go to pub for midday opening:D

It raged for 4 hours dumping 8ins of snow before v mild air followed from the SW; by 10.00pm that evening you wouldnt had known we'd had a blizzard!

Plenty more snow events that December. Only on, over te in my lifetime that came close to Dec 2010. 

But i'll disagree with comparing this December to 1981 - not even near.....yet. We'll need 3 or 4 good snow events in next few weeks to match Dec 81 imo and i dont mean 1inch melt jobs.:D

Hi Bristle Boy,

When I said that, the synoptics and NH profile now, reminded me of Dec.1981, I didn't mean that it's necessarily going to lead to X,Y,Z, exactly, as it did in  1981, after all, this spell is only just getting under way.

Two main differences, at the moment, on the 8th Dec,1981, there was a surface high pressure of an incredible, 1060 mbs, over Greenland which allied to a cold front, moving south, helped drive, frigid Arctic air, across the UK.

After the initial snowfall, on the 8th, we had clearing skies and winds falling light.

There were then a string of bitterly cold, frosty nights. On the night of 12ht/13th Dec, a low of -25.1c was recorded. at Shawbury (Shropshire), over the snowfields. I think, this is still the lowest, minimum temperature, ever recorded in England, to this day!!   So when a depression, approached from the Atlantic on the 13th Dec .and encountered, this deep surface cold, ppn soon turned to snow, it stayed as snow, further north but turned to rain in the south, as milder Atlantic air, engulfed southern England.

I do believe that Sunday's forecast snow, will only be a major player, north of the Midlands, if ppn gets that far north  as we do not have, that deep, entrenched, surface cold as we did in 1981. Of course, I hope my musings, are incorrect and we all see a bit of the white stuff, not long to wait!! 

Moving forward, I've been greatly encouraged by Stuart's (Glacier Point), latest update, on the Mod Thread. As he suggests, if that lobe of PV, over Canada, can move further west, away from Greenland. If there are height rises there, in tandem with forecast height rises over Scandinavia, we could then be looking at a very interesting period of weather, into the New Year.

Whatever way the cards fall, it's certainly a fascinating period of model watching.

Best wishes,

TomSE12.

Posted

Sorry GP, Stewart of course!!. I'll blame my CVA, on that, my memory playing terrible tricks on me again.

Best wishes,

TomSE12.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

There used to be a time, when it was normal winter weather, no fuss

In this modern 'snowflake' world, those times are truly gone

Listen, it's still 9c out there, so much for turning significantly colder, it is nowhere near cold enough for anything wintry

The forecast has been downgraded from heavy blustery snow showers to isolated sleet / snow showers for Friday

I am going back to sleep !!

Posted

All this talk of a couple of weeks of cold with snow chucked in and best start to Winter since....whenever....

Looks like it's imploding......shock, horror!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Please, if the South East is to miss out on a fantastic snowfall opportunity this weekend, please don't add further insult to injury with COLD RAIN. That is the pits....you can keep it ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Certain users will come crawling out of the woodwork now that some models show things further south - with the usual 'OMG IT MIGHT SNOW IN SE ENGLAND' posts that nobody else cares about.. yawn. ?

• Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, cheese said:

Certain users will come crawling out of the woodwork now that some models show things further south - with the usual 'OMG IT MIGHT SNOW IN SE ENGLAND' posts that nobody else cares about.. yawn. ?

Morning all,

Yes, it does seem some models, have shifted Sunday's snow threat further south, But a word of caution. I think, that unlike Dec.1981 and Dec 2010, we don't have entrenched, deep surface cold, yet!! It's a shame, we've not had a run of severe frosts and preferably, some snow cover, that Sunday's milder air and ppn, were about to run into. Had that been the case, I think a lot more of us would have been in the equation, for snowfall. I think that the cold air, sat over the UK on Sunday, could fairly soon, be mixed out.

Those areas, in the south of the snow band, could soon see their snow, turning very sleety. I do hope my pessimism, is unfounded, and that many of you, see some decent snowfall.

Whatever happens, the season has only just started and hopefully they'll be other opportunities, for all of us, further into Winter.

Best wishes,

TomSE12.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Yes, it does seem some models, have shifted Sunday's snow threat further south, But a word of caution. I think, that unlike Dec.1981 and Dec 2010, we don't have entrenched, deep surface cold, yet!! It's a shame, we've not had a run of severe frosts and preferably, some snow cover, that Sunday's milder air and ppn, were about to run into. Had that been the case, I think a lot more of us would have been in the equation, for snowfall. I think that the cold air, sat over the UK on Sunday, could fairly soon, be mixed out.

Those areas, in the south of the snow band, could soon see their snow, turning very sleety. I do hope my pessimism, is unfounded, and that many of you, see some decent snowfall.

Whatever happens, the season has only just started and hopefully they'll be other opportunities, for all of us, further into Winter.

Best wishes,

TomSE12.

If we happen to miss out on the snow then I personally hope what snow falls elsewhere will be washed away by rain as quickly as possible!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

If we happen to miss out on the snow then I personally hope what snow falls elsewhere will be washed away by rain as quickly as possible!

Bit harsh - Yorkshire averages a lot more than the SE ever does. Hopefully everyone will get some. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Bit harsh - Yorkshire averages a lot more than the SE ever does. Hopefully everyone will get some. 

Be that as it may, there is nothing worse than watching other parts of the country have snow while you have nothing - and even up here, since 2013 snowfalls have been scarce. I can count on one hand the number we've had. Nowhere has done very well - and if we get nothing on Sunday then we probably won't get any all month.

I would prefer everywhere to get snow as well, but if we don't get snow then yes I'd prefer it if nowhere did. That might be childish and petty but hey, that's how it is. I know I'm far from the only person on here who thinks like that.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

A summary of winter model threads since whenever:

Snowmageddon on Friday!!

Then Snowmageddon on Sunday!!

Then Bit snowy on Tuesday

Then Sleet maybe Thursday

Rain. It’ll rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

Be that as it may, there is nothing worse than watching other parts of the country have snow while you have nothing - and even up here, since 2013 snowfalls have been scarce. I can count on one hand the number we've had. Nowhere has done very well - and if we get nothing on Sunday then we probably won't get any all month.

I would prefer everywhere to get snow as well, but if we don't get snow then yes I'd prefer it if nowhere did. That might be childish and petty but hey, that's how it is. I know I'm far from the only person on here who thinks like that.

I don't even need one finger to count the amount we have had!

I suppose we make up for it with summer warmth though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
25 minutes ago, cheese said:

It amazes me how simple weather can bring out people's worst sides. There are always going to be parts of the country that will have 'better' weather than your area, either from time to time or more generally. Snow events in particular, are very rarely nationwide events. Usually, they affect only parts of the country, so many places inevitably miss out. I think we were spoilt in 2010 with the entire country in a big snowy freeze but that sort of event is extremely rare. 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It amazes me how simple weather can bring out people's worst sides. There are always going to be parts of the country that will have 'better' weather than your area, either from time to time or more generally. Snow events in particular, are very rarely nationwide events. Usually, they affect only parts of the country, so many places inevitably miss out. I think we were spoilt in 2010 with the entire country in a big snowy freeze but that sort of event is extremely rare. 

And? Is this supposed to make me feel better or something? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 minutes ago, cheese said:

And? Is this supposed to make me feel better or something? 

I'm not sure why you're so grumpy, in the first place? Leeds looks like getting a few cm's of snow at least, unlike an inch of rain where I live. Try living here, if you like snow. I hope as many people as possible get snow and enjoy it to maximum, even if my area sees nothing.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4

Posted

Another storm in a teacup really, the problem with the U.K. is the chances of getting a nationwide snow event are slim to none at the best of times so for those who get snow good luck for those of us who don’t ( myself included ) back to the outer reaches of FI looking for obscure synoptic patterns that may, just may deliver. ???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, cheese said:

I'm sorry but that is a truly selfish outlook on life. I am currently sat 10-20 miles too far NE of a streamer which will likely dump a good 10-20cm of snow for those under it, yes i wish i could be under it, but i'm glad for those who are getting what they want.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Staffordshire said:

I'm sorry but that is a truly selfish outlook on life. I am currently sat 10-20 miles too far NE of a streamer which will likely dump a good 10-20cm of snow for those under it, yes i wish i could be under it, but i'm glad for those who are getting what they want.

Well, good for you - but I gain absolutely no enjoyment from looking at snowy scenes in other parts of the country. I couldn't give a toss to be honest. 

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Well, good for you - but I gain absolutely no enjoyment from looking at snowy scenes in other parts of the country. I couldn't give a toss to be honest. 

I bet you're fun at a party. Its not that I gain enjoyment from it, but rather i don't gain enjoyment from others misery, as you seemingly do.

• Like 1