Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
13 minutes ago, Snipper said:

So how many months before winter officially ends?

In an unusual twist, its ending before it begins this year.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

Brilliant!!! :):)

Yes,I've never read such rubbish on here before as today's weeping and nashing if teeth. Leaves are still on trees diwn here!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Very interesting output posted in the "other forum" demonstrates data to support the modernwinter hypothesis:

DK8SfOIUQAExsVB.jpg:large

Actually your sig is accurate Chris, and we are exactly same age, do you remember Atlantic 252?

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Actually your sig is accurate Chris, and we are exactly same age, do you remember Atlantic 252?

Sadly I don't.

Posted

I'm starting to think that the models aren't that fit for purpose really. Sure they're pretty helpful for the next hand full of days, but beyond a week they can come up with nearly anything. Beyond that they just seem to flip and flop all too often. It's not just cold spells which fail to materialise as well. I'm pretty sure I've seen cold spells pop up at short notice (even if really brief) when the week before we assumed blowtorch southwesterlies were all that we're on offer for the foreseeable. Probably best to never put too much stock in what the weather may be beyond 5 days to a week at most.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I'm starting to think that the models aren't that fit for purpose really. Sure they're pretty helpful for the next hand full of days, but beyond a week they can come up with nearly anything. Beyond that they just seem to flip and flop all too often. It's not just cold spells which fail to materialise as well. I'm pretty sure I've seen cold spells pop up at short notice (even if really brief) when the week before we assumed blowtorch southwesterlies were all that we're on offer for the foreseeable. Probably best to never put too much stock in what the weather may be beyond 5 days to a week at most.

They all seem to underestimate jet/pv, Atlantic, overdo cold/blocked setups, especially ECM

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Too far North, too far South, too far East, too far West, too marginal, not enough elevation, too near the coast, stupid shortwave......... Yep the silly season is on it's way! :D

Edited by Day 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

Well yes, regardless, we should be doing a lot better than that. Any normal winter has at least 1-2 snowfalls. It's incredible how bad our luck has been the last few years.

Yep, it ain't like it used to be that's for sure.

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

EC jumps ship...wonderful.:nonono:

GFS seems to have modeled this the best, just hope not too wet with the SW'lys, prefer SW'lys to PM air anyway, tends to be dryer here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 hour ago, Northwest NI said:

All future ones also, apparently. :drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Apparently, winter is officially over on November 14th, with many trees here in the SE still in partial leaf. Is it that time of year to grab a cold one (beer, that is, not much else that's cold on offer, it seems) and watch the varied forms of emotional breakdown that happen every winter on here?

• Like 5

Posted

Well at least we still don't know what the weather will be for each day from the 1st of December to the 28th of February yet. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

All future ones also, apparently. :drunk-emoji:

Modernwinter is a reality, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Modernwinter is a reality, I'm afraid.

Are you channeling Ian Brown? :)

Nobody disputes that the world is getting warmer and the UK along with it (ok some do, but they can be safely ignored), but to pretend that there's no chance of Britain getting notable cold spells ever again is preposterous. The last 3 years have been largely uneventful, but the 5 prior to that were not. That's hardly unusual for Britain: it's the way it's always been.  

• Like 3

Posted
On 11/11/2017 at 23:35, Bristle boy said:

Island. Atlantic. Gulf Stream. Weather from a Westerly direction 85% of time. Default weather pattern for our tiny islands. Reality.

And there endeth my annual weather-related post (posted around this time of year most years).

I refer the honourable NW members to the post i made 'earlier' :D (and last year...and the year before...and so on)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Nobody disputes that the world is getting warmer and the UK along with it (ok some do, but they can be safely ignored), but to pretend that there's no chance of Britain getting notable cold spells ever again is preposterous. The last 3 years have been largely uneventful, but the 5 prior to that were not. That's hardly unusual for Britain: it's the way it's always been.  

IMO, he was right initially, but was criticised as his predictions were a few years away from being proven correct.

2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I refer the honourable NW members to the post i made 'earlier' :D (and last year...and the year before...and so on)

Indeed, and that's before AGW is taken into account.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

And actually if the warming Arctic does indeed cause regional patterns of weaker poleward thickness gradients then persistent jet-stream patterns will iincrease and possibly frequency of extreme weather events  Depends where they fall of course.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, knocker said:

And actually if the warming Arctic does indeed cause regional patterns of weaker poleward thickness gradients then persistent jet-stream patterns will iincrease and possibly frequency of extreme weather events  Depends where they fall of course.

I hope you're not forgetting the effects of the moon, Malcolm?:D