Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
55 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

... i ought to add.... i use my leaf blower to clear the grass of dew on mornings like this :) . a giant hair drier, lol.

When needs must Mushy, As the saying goes 'Where there's a will, There's a way' :pardon:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Anyone want to give an amateur forecast for Reykjavik from 1st to 5th October using the models? Going there for a break. First in several years. I joined this forum to learn and have my own ideas how the weather in that period might pan out. I would be interested to hear from more experienced people's interpretation. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

Anyone want to give an amateur forecast for Reykjavik from 1st to 5th October using the models? Going there for a break. First in several years. I joined this forum to learn and have my own ideas how the weather in that period might pan out. I would be interested to hear from more experienced people's interpretation. 

It will be chilly with a fair amount of rain.

Didn't even need to check the models for that one...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well im a bit peeved that yet again this summer/autumn high pressure fails to establish and produce a lengthy, nationwide, settled spell.

of course IF this pattern continues, it means no lengthy cold this winter, but that doesnt rule out a 36/60 hour blast.

Posted

Try this link it is the Icelandic Met Office own forecast, touch more reliable than given above!

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/areas/

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
20 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

Depending on what you're looking for.  Swimming holidays ideal because of the abundance of geothermally warmed pools including of course the Blue Lagoon.  Fortunately the weather is irrelevant. 

http://www.bluelagoon.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lagoon_(geothermal_spa)

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Depending on what you're looking for.  Swimming holidays ideal because of the abundance of geothermally warmed pools including of course the Blue Lagoon.  Fortunately the weather is irrelevant. 

http://www.bluelagoon.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lagoon_(geothermal_spa)

Yes , the Blue Lagoon is part of the plan! Reason I was asking for forecasts is I am hoping that it is colder rather than mild mush which we are so used to in British Isles. Your are correct in saying the weather is largely irrelevant as none of the activities I have planned depend on the weather. I'd just like maybe to see the Northern Lights which does require a clear night. A forecast of high pressure for that period would be ideal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
21 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

I would say fairly standard weather for the time of year - low pressure, with some wind and rain unfortunately. Model output is all showing a trough in the Iceland area....so I'd pack plenty of warm clothes, and some waterproofs! Temps probably in the 9-12c region.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm hearing of potential for a very vigorous low to traverse British Isles on 2nd October so hopefully that will pull some Northerlies down through Iceland while I'm there.

Posted
38 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

I'm hearing of potential for a very vigorous low to traverse British Isles on 2nd October so hopefully that will pull some Northerlies down through Iceland while I'm there.

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 23/09/2017 at 07:24, mushymanrob said:

well im a bit peeved that yet again this summer/autumn high pressure fails to establish and produce a lengthy, nationwide, settled spell.

of course IF this pattern continues, it means no lengthy cold this winter, but that doesnt rule out a 36/60 hour blast.

It has been a thoroughly rotten September - the coolness isn't a problem so much as the the rain that's fallen on nearly every day. It's getting to be ridiculous now. The ground is becoming sodden - and September is way too early for tat.

If we could have a week without rain, and a couple of day with sunshine - you know, where the sun actually shines all day instead of giving way to rain in the afternoon - that would be great.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

Been reading this site for a few months, learning a lot. Feel bad for you UK dwellers re. the 'summer'....I lived there for 12 years before moving to central europe / alps. It is sunny here about 300 days a year. Am fed up with hot dry weather like today and can not wait for temps to drop. Last 4 winter seasons were relatively mild and dry, so I have built up a strong disliking for the Azores.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
1 hour ago, lumberjack said:

Been reading this site for a few months, learning a lot. Feel bad for you UK dwellers re. the 'summer'....I lived there for 12 years before moving to central europe / alps. It is sunny here about 300 days a year. Am fed up with hot dry weather like today and can not wait for temps to drop. Last 4 winter seasons were relatively mild and dry, so I have built up a strong disliking for the Azores.

The Azores High is about as welcome as meat at a vegan festival.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, cheese said:

It has been a thoroughly rotten September - the coolness isn't a problem so much as the the rain that's fallen on nearly every day. It's getting to be ridiculous now. The ground is becoming sodden - and September is way too early for tat.

If we could have a week without rain, and a couple of day with sunshine - you know, where the sun actually shines all day instead of giving way to rain in the afternoon - that would be great.

Not sure rain has fallen every day,not even close to be honest,quite a bit i admit but not excessive by any means. Just proper Autumn weather really. Very nice for a change.:)

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I have recorded some precipitation on 18 days this month. 13 days over 1mm. That is objectively a lot. In a typical September we get 8 days of rain. September on average here actually gets fewer rain days than any other month.

This might be proper October weather but it is definitely not proper September weather. This September is shaping up to be a cool, cloudy and wet affair. 

People celebrating a 'proper' autumn month seem to have some very strange ideas about what a typical September is supposed to be like.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, cheese said:

I have recorded some precipitation on 18 days this month. 13 days over 1mm. That is objectively a lot. In a typical September we get 8 days of rain. September on average here actually gets fewer rain days than any other month.

This might be proper October weather but it is definitely not proper September weather. This September is shaping up to be a cool, cloudy and wet affair. 

People celebrating a 'proper' autumn month seem to have some very strange ideas about what a typical September is supposed to be like.

What is a typical September supposed to be like?

Down here its been rather nice, no extension of summer (heat) and not too wet, temperatures a little below the LTA (so far) and some warm early Autumn  sun to enjoy too.

It all fits within the LTA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

What is a typical September supposed to be like?

Down here its been rather nice, no extension of summer (heat) and not too wet, temperatures a little below the LTA (so far) and some warm early Autumn  sun to enjoy too.

It all fits within the LTA

I agree,this September very much fits in the with the LTA. Makes a very nice change for once to have a change of season in the right month!:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

To be honest, since mid month it's been fairly standard September weather here. It was just unusual to have such an unsettled first week and the first named storm before the Equinox.

I think some people's perceptions of September have also been skewed by warmer and more settled ones in the last 10 years or so.

• Like 3

Posted
On 23/09/2017 at 15:34, Northwest NI said:

I'm also going to Reykjavik 2-5th October then Halifax Nova Scotia for ten days... booked blue lagoon... hoping for a glimpse of northern lights too... 

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/node/114 3day forecast for aurora....

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

I'm also going to Reykjavik 2-5th October then Halifax Nova Scotia for ten days... booked blue lagoon... hoping for a glimpse of northern lights too... 

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/node/114 3day forecast for aurora....

We may have a bumpy flight! Where you flying out of? 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

We may have a bumpy flight! Where you flying out of? 

Flying from Manchester... great deal with Iceland air.... yep saw that Monday looks a bit breezy... looking good atm for high pressure ridging Iceland 3-5th (gfs) so maybe just maybe clear nights fingers crossed just hope the aurora appears... 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

Not particularly pleasant today; far too muggy. Nothing worse than rainy weather when the air is sourced from a warm direction. I really wish that Azores High would <insert profanity here> off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
8 hours ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Not particularly pleasant today; far too muggy. Nothing worse than rainy weather when the air is sourced from a warm direction. I really wish that Azores High would <insert profanity here> off.

.... yes there is, when its sourced from a cold direction. nothing worse then cold wet, i prefer snow to that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
51 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

.... yes there is, when its sourced from a cold direction. nothing worse then cold wet, i prefer snow to that.

yes, definitely, would rather rain at 13° than 2°

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

At least when it's cold, you can wear a coat to keep warm rather than overheat. Warm rain is just a pain, unless of the torrential variety hehe.

• Like 1