Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
18 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

weed?... what weeds have airborne pollen?... fungus spores? not 'hay' fever then ... lol

Nettles for one.  Certainly some nettles still in flower at my location.

Posted
3 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

weed?... what weeds have airborne pollen?... fungus spores? not 'hay' fever then ... lol :p

i guess any alergic reaction to 'summer stuff' gets lumped in under the 'hay'fever tag. when i got it, i only got it in june/early july. by mid july it was over for me.

It would sound like you're just allergic to grass pollen then, as that is the main season for it, but that isn't the only cause of hayfever. It's not me making it up, the national aerobiology unit are the experts.

As for weed pollen, check the pollen calendar below - nettle, dock and mugwort (sounds like something out of harry potter!) appear to be the main ones. 

pollen-calendar-national-pollen-aerobiology-research.jpg

This is the wording from their pollen forecast today

With cooler temperatures and scattered temperatures across Northern Ireland, Scotland and the Northern half of England the weed pollen risk will be low, however, in Wales, Central and Southern England there is the potential for a moderate risk on warmer drier days. The grass pollen risk is low but fungal spores will be high during warm and humid conditions.  

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=pollen;sess=

And yes, fungal spores aren't causes of 'hayfever' but they are allergens which happen to be released during warmer weather at this time of year. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Hope this isn't too off-topic for the fungal spores and allergens thread, but I think many would take the DJF height anomalies from last night's CFS 18z:

cfsnh-3-12-2017.png?18

cfsnh-3-1-2018.png?18

cfsnh-3-2-2018.png?18

It's a trend, I tell ya.

Edit: The last one *is* February, but for some reason it's labelled Mars 2018. Sylvain?

Edited by Yarmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Paul said:

It would sound like you're just allergic to grass pollen then, as that is the main season for it, but that isn't the only cause of hayfever. It's not me making it up, the national aerobiology unit are the experts.

As for weed pollen, check the pollen calendar below - nettle, dock and mugwort (sounds like something out of harry potter!) appear to be the main ones. 

pollen-calendar-national-pollen-aerobiology-research.jpg

This is the wording from their pollen forecast today

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=pollen;sess=

And yes, fungal spores aren't causes of 'hayfever' but they are allergens which happen to be released during warmer weather at this time of year. 

so basically we are in agreement..

but tbh i cannot see mugworth, nor nettle, producing the amount trees or grass does... but hey, people suffer so somethings responsible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

yes, 26c and fresh, not humid, quite unexpected tbh i expected it to be muggy/humid but it wasnt.

hayfever? at this time of the year?.... i dont get that - all the air borne pollen was over ages ago.

I'm worse now than in June or July!! Longing for the freedom to wake up and not be flipping sneezing and eye's itching and streaming.....bring on that wonderful clean fresh Autumn air,can't wait:)...I know you don't agree,sorry.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 hours ago, markyo said:

I'm worse now than in June or July!! Longing for the freedom to wake up and not be flipping sneezing and eye's itching and streaming.....bring on that wonderful clean fresh Autumn air,can't wait:)...I know you don't agree,sorry.

yes, mine worse too, only though with dew or rain, otherwise okay

Posted

What a fantastic start to a working day,fantastic sunrise,single figure temps,makes one feel so much better! Bring on Autumn:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

what a dreadful start to a working day, cold, damp, manky autumnal smell, nothing to look foreward to but cold dark days. roll on spring...

*mischievous snigger*

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, mushymanrob said:

what a dreadful start to a working day, cold, damp, manky autumnal smell, nothing to look foreward to but cold dark days. roll on spring...

*mischievous snigger*

I'm with you all the way, Mushy; I'm already counting down the days to the Vernal Equinox!:help:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
On 9/1/2017 at 07:46, Ed Stone said:

I'm with you all the way, Mushy; I'm already counting down the days to the Vernal Equinox!:help:

And me Ed! autumn sucks, all 5 months of it, 

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

And me Ed! autumn sucks, all 5 months of it, 

the climate in the uk is autumn by default for all 12 months,  the only way to tell the season is if the leaves are bare or not . or if it goes dark at 4.00pm  :nonono:

Posted

I was up in the loft earlier so I got our winter coats down in anticipation. We go on holiday at the end of the month, back home in the early stages of October. I do not want any of this Indian Summer nonsense on my return. Force 9's, red faces, cracked hands, oh yes. :D

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

I was up in the loft earlier so I got our winter coats down in anticipation. We go on holiday at the end of the month, back home in the early stages of October. I do not want any of this Indian Summer nonsense on my return. Force 9's, red faces, cracked hands, oh yes. :D

Sounds like a perfect Autumn holiday!...Seasonal weather:) Something that's be lacking for a long time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Morning all ,nice to see some interesting :yahoo:Autumn charts for this September rather than the usual warm benign conditions of recent Autumn's of September and indeed October  ,Perhaps seeing the first storms of the season ,but there will see plenty of sparkling autumn sunshine between the weather systems. I think we are seeing a completely different atmospheric  pattern than recent years:yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Morning all ,nice to see some interesting :yahoo:Autumn charts for this September rather than the usual warm benign conditions of recent Autumn's of September and indeed October  ,Perhaps seeing the first storms of the season ,but there will see plenty of sparkling autumn sunshine between the weather systems. I think we are seeing a completely different atmospheric  pattern than recent years:yahoo:

Yes,great to see. Some actual weather!

Won't please the high pressure fans over on the 'mystic meg thread'but hey, it is now autumn! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Storms and gales are not at all normal for September. It's one of the most settled and anticyclonic months of the year on average. It's less Atlantic-dominated than any of the summer months. Average temperatures are almost identical to June.

You guys are aware of that, aren't you? It's only the 3rd of September. The kind of 'typical' autumnal weather you want doesn't become 'typical' until the end of October. It's like the same people who expect full-on spring as soon as the calendar says 1st of March. Completely ridiculous and happens every year. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the following winter will be yet another depressing affair with endless Atlantic lows and rain, and almost no snow - if that kind of weather excites you (each to their own), then you're surely in for a treat! 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
51 minutes ago, cheese said:

Storms and gales are not at all normal for September. It's one of the most settled and anticyclonic months of the year on average. It's less Atlantic-dominated than any of the summer months. Average temperatures are almost identical to June.

You guys are aware of that, aren't you? It's only the 3rd of September. The kind of 'typical' autumnal weather you want doesn't become 'typical' until the end of October. It's like the same people who expect full-on spring as soon as the calendar says 1st of March. Completely ridiculous and happens every year. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the following winter will be yet another depressing affair with endless Atlantic lows and rain, and almost no snow - if that kind of weather excites you (each to their own), then you're surely in for a treat! 

Indeed - mind numbingly boring! sort of like summer refusing to leave. It's a novelty to have an unsettled & cooler than normal September. It's probably my least favourite month of the year so I'm going to enjoy the next week or so for it's unusualness!

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
49 minutes ago, cheese said:

While next weekend's low is indeed very premature for so early in the season, I'd expect Atlantic weather more than overhead anticyclones come September. Admittedly, we've become used to high pressure being in charge for the first third of the month, but by midmonth in many years, the first strong winds are often showing their hand e.g. 14th September 2015, 16th September 2013, 12th September 2012, 11th-13th September 2011 etc. etc. Other than next weekend's bomb, nothing too unusual really as there will still be brighter spells between rainbands.

Posted

I'm sure the weather graphics are miss spelt,Humid should be spelt  Horrid! Really unpleasant today,thankfully a distant memory by mid week,roll on the lovely Autumn weather:)

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'm sure the weather graphics are miss spelt,Humid should be spelt  Horrid! Really unpleasant today,thankfully a distant memory by mid week,roll on the lovely Autumn weather:)

Agreed, Markyo. The air felt suffocating today. Not nice at all.

I'm not counting my chickens yet; there's a lot of talk in the media right now regarding mid-month that I don't like the sounds of.

Posted
22 hours ago, cheese said:

1) what's the problem of looking forward to the coming season? It doesn't mean we expect it immediately.

2) I did state in my post that I got the winter coats out for when we return from holiday "in the early stages of October".

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
22 hours ago, MP-R said:

While next weekend's low is indeed very premature for so early in the season, I'd expect Atlantic weather more than overhead anticyclones come September. Admittedly, we've become used to high pressure being in charge for the first third of the month, but by midmonth in many years, the first strong winds are often showing their hand e.g. 14th September 2015, 16th September 2013, 12th September 2012, 11th-13th September 2011 etc. etc. Other than next weekend's bomb, nothing too unusual really as there will still be brighter spells between rainbands.

It will vary across the country but September here is one the sunniest months of the year in percentage terms (sunnier than June), and also one of the driest - both in total precipitation and precipitation days. It might be different in Western areas but September in this neck of the woods, on average, is far from being unsettled in any sense of the world.

Edited by cheese