Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

After a string of summers feturing heatwaves or repetitive Spanish plumes, every summer since 2014, I'm happy with the way this Summer has turned out, on the whole although GFS's insistence, now in the ensemble mean, on a height- rise over our shores, is rather worrying. I'm hoping that ECMWF is has it nailed and that this Summer ends mercifully.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Mushy traditionally it is a rather stagnant month in general. Roll on Autumn proper.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, snowwman said:

After a string of summers feturing heatwaves or repetitive Spanish plumes, every summer since 2014, I'm happy with the way this Summer has turned out, on the whole although GFS's insistence, now in the ensemble mean, on a height- rise over our shores, is rather worrying. I'm hoping that ECMWF is has it nailed and that this Summer ends mercifully.

to be honest, the GFS Ens are merely showing dry & average temp wise.... I could easily live with that for a couple of weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

september bores me......dreadful month of coming death and darkness.

September is the best month of the year over here...often sunny warm days cool crisp mornings and evenings little or no rain...lovely Autumn colours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, snowwman said:

eh?.... i must have been asleep, or drunk... ive not had any summer that featured heatwaves or repetitive spanish plumes for over ten years.

ok 2013 had a heatwave, disrupted but plenty of heat in july.

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

September is the best month of the year over here...often sunny warm days cool crisp mornings and evenings little or no rain...lovely Autumn colours.

oh the pretty colours - of death.. a pretend summer month , a pretend autumn month... its a nothing month just waiting for autumn proper.

the fresh colours of spring are far superior, not as '70's wallpaper' , but new vibrant growth full of hope.

Posted
Just now, mushymanrob said:

oh the pretty colours - of death.. a pretend summer month , a pretend autumn month... its a nothing month just waiting for autumn proper.

the fresh colours of spring are far superior, not as '70's wallpaper' , but new vibrant growth full of hope.

Spring sucks over here to use a Canadian term..often cold and wet..yuk

Posted
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

Spring sucks over here to use a Canadian term..often cold and wet..yuk

oh i see... fair comment, i cant comment on canada, ive not been. :)

Posted
3 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

oh i see... fair comment, i cant comment on canada, ive not been. :)

Mind you this summer here has been far better than yours from what i can gather

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Mind you this summer here has been far better than yours from what i can gather

No. Summer, this year, has been wondrous in Blighty :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
39 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Sept here tends to be summerier than August, always tends to be a break in the westerlies, virtually guaranteed warm high pressure days at some point,

August is relentless westerlies, bit like Dec to Feb, only miles warmer

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
4 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Any breaking news on the Darlington ENS, you know, for the people who actually live in Darlington and not London.:D

If you mean the GEFS ensembles, they're all on the weatheroutlook's site. Just click on the GEFS move down to the bottom of the page where the graphs are and then click your town (if its there).

Posted

The weather here has been perfect since last friday. Low 20's and sun with little breeze. This is the summer weather I love, no 30+ stuff for me please.

• Like 3

Posted

this is why i dont like august/september. yesterday was very pleasant in the afternoon, but the scent in this mornings chilly air smacks of autumn.

next weeks looking cool too. but mainly dry?

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

this is why i dont like august/september. yesterday was very pleasant in the afternoon, but the scent in this mornings chilly air smacks of autumn.

What I like this time of the year is that even on a sunny day the sun feels much milder on the skin. In June the risk of burning is very high and you see lots of lobsters around town.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

The scent of Autumn is one of the best smells there is,beats the stench of a hot summers day hands down. Love those Sunday mornings when Autumn garden bonfires get lit,the fantastic feeling of opening that front door to the first proper cold morning,nothing can beat that in my opinion.:)

• Like 2

Posted

We now have had almost a full week of dry,warm 22-24c,and relatively sunny weather( after last weeks deluge).

Perfect summer weather with more on the way,some showers over next few days but thats good too.

All in all pretty good summer down here,amazing the difference a couple of hundred miles makes.Two different countries almost.

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

The scent of Autumn is one of the best smells there is,beats the stench of a hot summers day hands down. Love those Sunday mornings when Autumn garden bonfires get lit,the fantastic feeling of opening that front door to the first proper cold morning,nothing can beat that in my opinion.:)

I couldn't agree more! I am focused on what the autumn has in store while keeping an eye on the Atlantic hurricanes.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, karyo said:

I couldn't agree more! I am focused on what the autumn has in store while keeping an eye on the Atlantic hurricanes.

Not only is it more comfortable it is normally more interesting,changing light levels etc all help

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

stench of summer?..... my god, where do you live, a sewage farm?. :rofl:

the only scents i get in summer are off blooms, lilies, jasmine, roses, etc etc etc... all i get in autumn are smelly dying plants, dead/decaying vegetation, dampness, and chilly.  i dont mind winter because the aira clean - but theres nothing to compare to a mild spring day in april, when the air is full of the freshness of new growth.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
26 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

the only scents i get in summer are off blooms, lilies, jasmine, roses, etc etc etc... all i get in autumn are smelly dying plants, dead/decaying vegetation, dampness, and chilly.  i dont mind winter because the aira clean - but theres nothing to compare to a mild spring day in april, when the air is full of the freshness of new growth.

Agree with you about the scents of Spring and early-mid Summer, best time of the year imho with all that new growth and freshness. Autumn smells are often of things dying, decaying etc. Better in a drier climate but in the wet UK not so good. Though like Markyo says, I do like the scents of fires and mists/fogs. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
19 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree with you about the scents of Spring and early-mid Summer, best time of the year imho with all that new growth and freshness. Autumn smells are often of things dying, decaying etc. Better in a drier climate but in the wet UK not so good. Though like Markyo says, I do like the scents of fires and mists/fogs. 

Absolutely. Autumn is definitely about the crisp light and colours for me rather than rotting smells haha. In contrast to spring which is all about the flowers, bright green trees and rapidly strengthening sunshine for me.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

The stench of that ruddy pollen!! Natures weapon of mass destruction to my eyes and nose!:angry: But seriously i love opening that door to that first few cold mornings,really wakes one up:)

• Like 1