Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Ghastly day here, surely a maximum of 14C must be nearly a record low for London in early August?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Ghastly day here, surely a maximum of 14C must be nearly a record low for London in early August?!

Funnily enough I think 09th August 2001 was quite a similar day to today so maybe similar readings at LHR.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Looks like this August is going to be joining an ever growing list of forgettable, cool and wet Augusts since the turn of the decade. By my reckoning 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and now 2017 have been horrid - meaning 5 of the 8 Augusts this decade have been poor. 2012 was warmish but wet, 2013 was ok, and last year wasn't bad, but none of them were what you'd call memorable in any way. Are changing times and weather patterns around August causing these repeatedly bad setups, or just a natural variation/bad cycle of months? 

August 2015 was average here. I believe in 2015, July was better for the south and August was better for the north.

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Oh don't be so dramatic - nothing wrong with 14C in August! Get outdoors and enjoy yourself! At least it isn't 25C which is unbearably hot (apparently)!

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
20 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.3f653cfd0fd6fb038304b5b66fd285fd.png

You just got to laugh at that chart, you wont see one like that in january thats for sure.

Warmth all around us but notice how the green snot always makes a beeline towards us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
5 hours ago, MP-R said:

Yes exactly. I think August 2006 was the first time I properly took note of a poor August (probably all relatively though because in isolation it wasn't THAT bad here). Summer 2007 was also the first time I took note of a very poor June/July after the first 10 days of June. Even the likes of 2002 and 2000 had spells of fine weather. August 2008 was then like no August I'd ever experienced before - probably the worst in my lifetime (I was born in 1992 so don't remember that one).

the worst summer before modern times (last ten years or so) was 1985.. that type of summer seems pretty normal now.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

the worst summer before modern times (last ten years or so) was 1985.. that type of summer seems pretty normal now.

I'm not sure that's true - or maybe it just depends on the region. Looking at weather data for Leeds, 1986 was much worse than any 'modern' summer in terms of below-average temperatures. August 1986 for instance had an average high of 17.3C, no August in the past 15 years has come anywhere that. Heck, even 'bad' Junes (i.e 2007 and 2012) were warmer than that.

There have been some poor summers in recent years but I can think of many summers in the 60s and 80s that were much worse. Even some in the 90s (1991 or 1992 IIRC).

Edited by cheese

Posted
9 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Summers 85-88 were more notable for being poor than recent summers. And what about 77-82:shok:

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

bad for the SE yes, but Midlands northwards quite common, trend for August to be least summeriest month, after June/ July, even Sept

Posted

had to put the heating on yesterday for an hour or two, just to take the chill off,  this morning, getting up for work at 6.50am felt distinctly autumnal,   

the forcasters keep saying about the jet being in an usual southerly position for summer ,  but is it ? :nonono: it does seem to come over us and pester more often in the summers recently, maybe its the new normal position for summer 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Oh don't be so dramatic - nothing wrong with 14C in August! Get outdoors and enjoy yourself! At least it isn't 25C which is unbearably hot (apparently)!

Yes I must not be so selfish and see the positives. The ducks are happy, the grass is green. Shame about all the holidaymakers, children and those whose businesses rely on the above and good weather. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes I must not be so selfish and see the positives. The ducks are happy, the grass is green. Shame about all the holidaymakers, children and those whose businesses rely on the above and good weather. 

Head west! We've had sunshine here this afternoon and even reached the lofty heights of 18C lol.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
2 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Warmth all around us but notice how the green snot always makes a beeline towards us.

Don't worry Pete all the blue colours will head into Europe come silly season,and the

UK will endure more green Snot.

C.S. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, IanR said:

had to put the heating on yesterday for an hour or two, just to take the chill off,  this morning, getting up for work at 6.50am felt distinctly autumnal,   

the forcasters keep saying about the jet being in an usual southerly position for summer ,  but is it ? :nonono: it does seem to come over us and pester more often in the summers recently, maybe its the new normal position for summer 

I swear anybody who puts their heating on in August has more money than sense.......better get that aircon going,been a tad warm today:)

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

I swear anybody who puts their heating on in August has more money than sense.......better get that aircon going,been a tad warm today:)

Same applies to air conditioning, which in this country should only really consist of opening the window lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

lucky enough to have both air con and central heating - more and more places have it in central London , mainly because of the UHI the nights can be so warm....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
55 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Same applies to air conditioning, which in this country should only really consist of opening the window lol.

Just trying to lighten the mood! :) Though seriously heating on?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

While i do want summer gone (i am a cold fan bar March-June) even i must admit that some of the runs we are seeing are verging on horrific for heat lovers. The GFS from day 6 onwards has fairly slow lows crossing every 1-2 days with the Azores nowhere in sight. 

Posted

At least the cool weather makes a nice change from the exceptional warmth we have endured for most of this year.  No doubt it will return in September lasting until New Year.....

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Just trying to lighten the mood! :) Though seriously heating on?

My Mum was thinking of putting the heating on in her place today. It   does feel like winter here, brrr!

Posted
25 minutes ago, Don said:

At least the cool weather makes a nice change from the exceptional warmth we have endured for most of this year.  No doubt it will return in September lasting until New Year.....

Wheesht... might have to wait till october this year. What a depressing outlook from CFS.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CFSv2/htmls/euT2me3Mon.html

Posted
14 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Wheesht... might have to wait till october this year. What a depressing outlook from CFS.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CFSv2/htmls/euT2me3Mon.html

December and January :help:

We are having our winter in August this year!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1