Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
12 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I think I mentioned a few weeks back I don't mind warmth in September as the nights are usually cooler because of less daylight, so as long as August stays cool like this I will be happy. Loving the cool air today, feels nice and fresh with low humidity, got a few windows open and it's so comfortable in here with that breeze blowing through.

Can't find anything to complain about,very comfortable lovely weather. We are very fortunate,many are not at the moment in areas of Europe. Must be horrible.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Hell isn't far from the mark. People are DYING in europe. Anybody who pines for conditions like that isn't right in head. They should just lock themselves in a turkish bath.

Weather enthusiasts on a weather forum want extreme weather. What a shocker. Exactly the same applies in winter when people want cold weather despite the fact that people die because of it.

Let's be blunt - people die every day. There ain't nothing you or I can do about it, and no amount of wishing or cursing will stop the weather doing what it wants. I don't enjoy extreme heat, but I certainly enjoy the novelty of it, much like I enjoy the novelty of heavy winter snowfalls (even though living with it day in day out from November to March would probably prove tiresome).

And let's be honest - I don't know about everywhere else but it's rained here on most days out of the past 7. That's not good weather, objectively speaking. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
34 minutes ago, Matthew. said:

That Azores high is being flattened way too quickly for any proper settled conditions. All in all though very normal late summer weather really. Think some are after the extremes thinking their normal. September sees the high migrating NE so this is always favourite for settled. Apparently September 10th is national high pressure day:pardon:

Would agree nothing too out of the ordinary, really

But I wonder when both national thunderstorm day and national snow day fall on?:pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Would agree nothing too out of the ordinary, really

But I wonder when both national thunderstorm day and national snow day fall on?:pardon:

Indeed nothing out of the ordinary for the modern August, but also far from the norm. There's a reason this is the warmest time of the year - because conditions like this shouldn't be happening lol. Another modern trait seems to be a settled first week of September before turning more unsettled around the 10th, some years earlier and others later.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
53 minutes ago, cheese said:

Weather enthusiasts on a weather forum want extreme weather. What a shocker. Exactly the same applies in winter when people want cold weather despite the fact that people die because of it.

Let's be blunt - people die every day. There ain't nothing you or I can do about it, and no amount of wishing or cursing will stop the weather doing what it wants. I don't enjoy extreme heat, but I certainly enjoy the novelty of it, much like I enjoy the novelty of heavy winter snowfalls (even though living with it day in day out from November to March would probably prove tiresome).

And let's be honest - I don't know about everywhere else but it's rained here on most days out of the past 7. That's not good weather, objectively speaking. 

It *has* rained, but here its been transient. By no means a washout.

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Can't find anything to complain about,very comfortable lovely weather. We are very fortunate,many are not at the moment in areas of Europe. Must be horrible.

As it happens I consider myself very fortunate to be on the hot side of the coin rather than the cool one right now. Freshness can wait until October; it's a complete waste at this time of year.

Off to get my head checked... not.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
15 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed nothing out of the ordinary for the modern August, but also far from the norm. There's a reason this is the warmest time of the year - because conditions like this shouldn't be happening lol. Another modern trait seems to be a settled first week of September before turning more unsettled around the 10th, some years earlier and others later.

I suppose considering what's happening in some parts of Europe at the moment, I guess you do have a fair point. Although we've only just started this new month, I just wonder if there's been any other Augusts in the past where there's been some (unusually) hot conditions in parts of Europe like this

At least for the UK, having unsettled/changeable August's (like the way this one seems to be shaping up to be) I would say isn't too unusual, but it has been a while since we have had a truly settled and very warm August

It would be ironic if it was to turn unsettled towards the 2nd week of September this year - we would then have to wave good bye to national High Pressure day (lol) ;) 

But I hope not!

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Adding extra info

Posted

Thing is August 95' saw a displacement of the Azores high over the Uk. This was displaced. The norm is further south with the jet running to the north bringing changeable conditions with some good days thrown in which is how I see the first half of this month. Okay maximums are a touch down but certainly not anything noticeable. September though sees a natural displacement taking place therefore the chances of settled weather are genetically higher as its born that way. Anyway back to August and the Met office Time-series shows the last 100 years of many similar Augusts which had a similar theme.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Our climate is the problem for anyone wanting a decent summer (prolonged frequent heat) or a cold winter (persistent cold & snow). Apart from notable exceptions like summer 76, 95, winter 46-47, 62-63 it has always been like this. We do not have a continental climate. If the UK was situated 800-1000 miles further east into the continental Europe most people on here would be very happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
33 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

It *has* rained, but here its been transient. By no means a washout.

no washout, but Monday looks like it will be, tomorrow not great either, why always in the day

Posted
30 minutes ago, Matthew. said:

Thing is August 95' saw a displacement of the Azores high over the Uk. This was displaced. The norm is further south with the jet running to the north bringing changeable conditions with some good days thrown in which is how I see the first half of this month. Okay maximums are a touch down but certainly not anything noticeable. September though sees a natural displacement taking place therefore the chances of settled weather are genetically higher as its born that way. Anyway back to August and the Met office Time-series shows the last 100 years of many similar Augusts which had a similar theme.

... some Septembers see a displacement as do some Augusts. Some don't. Quite simply, I think we're in a period where September can often outshine August. When I was growing up, this certainly wasn't the case. Indeed, September is on average wetter than August here, albeit not by much.

Posted

There are weather extremes going on. while southern Europe roasts... in The  UK we  have been below the norm for a good few weeks now..The average for my location is just under 21c this time of year. and I honesty cant remember the last time we reached it.. add in the rain and cold NW..

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Yep sadly the weather has to balance out, so for the extreme heat in the S/SE of Europe, there has to be something way below average somewhere else. For that read the UK and scandi!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

... some Septembers see a displacement as do some Augusts. Some don't. Quite simply, I think we're in a period where September can often outshine August. When I was growing up, this certainly wasn't the case. Indeed, September is on average wetter than August here, albeit not by much.

I feel the same - summer was often baking hot, while autumn (back to school, shopping for new shoes) was often rainy. I am 43 so I am basing this on being at school in the 80s. Now I feel May and June and bits of July is more summery, followed by an autumny end of summer, then another warm and dry spell in September. I am now confidently planting things in July knowing we have, more than likely a second shot at summer for fast growth and harvesting before proper autumn kicks in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Looks like a reasonable weekend here in the S, at last! The previous 3 were completely ruined by wind and rain. Am craving a return to sunnier skies and some warmth, it is summer after all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

We are very lucky in this country unlike southern Europe. Latest reports warning of 150k deaths a year in that area due to extreme weather,99% due to heat. Not looking good. We should be very grateful for our climate i feel,yes bit of a pain at times but nothing like a killer That Europe is and will be facing in the future.

Posted
3 hours ago, Woollymummy said:

I feel the same - summer was often baking hot, while autumn (back to school, shopping for new shoes) was often rainy. I am 43 so I am basing this on being at school in the 80s. Now I feel May and June and bits of July is more summery, followed by an autumny end of summer, then another warm and dry spell in September. I am now confidently planting things in July knowing we have, more than likely a second shot at summer for fast growth and harvesting before proper autumn kicks in.

Was the same in the 90s. I only remember 1999 being warm and sunny and that was only the first half of the month. Even October can be warm now.

Its a shame that with such a weak jet in August, we have to end up with low pressure over the country so often.

Posted
12 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

There are weather extremes going on. while southern Europe roasts... in The  UK we  have been below the norm for a good few weeks now..The average for my location is just under 21c this time of year. and I honesty cant remember the last time we reached it.. add in the rain and cold NW..

Really?

I've been up in the NW for a lot of this summer, Merseyside in fact and temps have been constantly at 20 to 22 c with pretty high humidity making a fan necessary in the evenings to make things semi comfortable, has it really been that dire just a few miles to my east ?

Down in the SE it's only been a fortnight of coolish temps this last 2 weeks, before that it has been a great summer both in regards to temps, low humidity and absolutely no rain or showers to spoil things, shame about the lack of storms but hey gotta go further south and east for that apparently.

Posted
1 hour ago, Despicable Weather said:

Really?

I've been up in the NW for a lot of this summer, Merseyside in fact and temps have been constantly at 20 to 22 c with pretty high humidity making a fan necessary in the evenings to make things semi comfortable, has it really been that dire just a few miles to my east ?

Down in the SE it's only been a fortnight of coolish temps this last 2 weeks, before that it has been a great summer both in regards to temps, low humidity and absolutely no rain or showers to spoil things, shame about the lack of storms but hey gotta go further south and east for that apparently.

no doubt  its average again today. apart from the 20mph NW that is making it feel like March.

Posted
6 hours ago, Despicable Weather said:

Really?

Yes, up until mid-July it was pretty warm here too. Despite the last couple of weeks not being as good, July still finished with 22 out of 31 days topping 20C and a mean max of 21.0C. Compare that with 2011 where only 11 days managed it and its easy to see its not been that bad. We're actually on course for the 3rd warmest summer since 1976 here.

We have had quite a lot of rain though (199.2mm so far), which gives the strange possibility that we might also record the wettest since 2007 at the same time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
22 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Our climate is the problem for anyone wanting a decent summer (prolonged frequent heat) or a cold winter (persistent cold & snow). Apart from notable exceptions like summer 76, 95, winter 46-47, 62-63 it has always been like this. We do not have a continental climate. If the UK was situated 800-1000 miles further east into the continental Europe most people on here would be very happy.

Thing is, our summers prior to 2007 were warming quite nicely. Since 2007 summer temperatures in the UK have basically ground to a halt or even reversed despite other parts of the year breaking records for warmth and mildness. And if you look at other places in Europe, they have warmed up significantly in summer over the past 10 years while we have not. At the current rate even northern Scandinavia will have warmer summers than much of England because our summer temperatures have basically flat-lined while theirs have skyrocketed (relative to the old averages).

Indeed, I would be surprised if summers in the UK show much if any warming at all when the 1991-2020 averages are released but I have no doubt the other three seasons will show big increases. I bet the 1991-2020 averages will show summers have gotten cloudier as well (but again the other seasons getting sunnier).

The difference between the seasons in the UK continues to get smaller.. and for people like myself who appreciate four seasons, this is not a positive development. No, the UK has never been a good place for four-season lovers, but it is getting progressively worse. And of course if you like warm or hot weather, you want warming to occur in summer primarily, because that's when it is actually beneficial.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Thing is, our summers prior to 2007 were warming quite nicely. Since 2007 summer temperatures in the UK have basically ground to a halt or even reversed despite other parts of the year breaking records for warmth and mildness. And if you look at other places in Europe, they have warmed up significantly in summer over the past 10 years while we have not. At the current rate even northern Scandinavia will have warmer summers than much of England because our summer temperatures have basically flat-lined while theirs have skyrocketed (relative to the old averages).

Indeed, I would be surprised if summers in the UK show much if any warming at all when the 1991-2020 averages are released but I have no doubt the other three seasons will show big increases. I bet the 1991-2020 averages will show summers have gotten cloudier as well (but again the other seasons getting sunnier).

The difference between the seasons in the UK continues to get smaller.. and for people like myself who appreciate four seasons, this is not a positive development. No, the UK has never been a good place for four-season lovers, but it is getting progressively worse. And of course if you like warm or hot weather, you want warming to occur in summer primarily, because that's when it is actually beneficial.

I see you're point - summers in the mid 90's up to mid 00's were for the most part quite good, obviously 95, 2003 & 2006 being the stand out ones. But most of the summers in the 80's (apart from 1983 & perhaps a bit of 84) were not all that great at all, in particular 85 through into 88 were absolutely shocking & had some notably prolonged cool weather, cooler than we have had over the last 10 years, just to name a few........ June 1985 CET was just 12.7, June 1987 12.8, August 1985 14.6 , August 1986 13.7 - back then people were thinking we were entering a mini ice age, so it's not been a constant warming trend, it's been up and down for a long time, most of the 80's summers were a bit like what we have had over the last 10 years. But I think these things are cycles just like the colder winters of late 2008 into 2013, I think we will get a run of warmer summers again. Just like I think we will get a run of colder winters again. Just a case of when not if.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
25 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I see you're point - summers in the mid 90's up to mid 00's were for the most part quite good, obviously 95, 2003 & 2006 being the stand out ones. But most of the summers in the 80's (apart from 1983 & perhaps a bit of 84) were not all that great at all, in particular 85 through into 88 were absolutely shocking & had some notably prolonged cool weather, cooler than we have had over the last 10 years, just to name a few........ June 1985 CET was just 12.7, June 1987 12.8, August 1985 14.6 , August 1986 13.7 - back then people were thinking we were entering a mini ice age, so it's not been a constant warming trend, it's been up and down for a long time, most of the 80's summers were a bit like what we have had over the last 10 years. But I think these things are cycles just like the colder winters of late 2008 into 2013, I think we will get a run of warmer summers again. Just like I think we will get a run of colder winters again. Just a case of when not if.

Technically speaking we have had a run of warmer than average summers, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
42 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Technically speaking we have had a run of warmer than average summers, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017. 

Indeed, only 2015 has been cooler than average, and even then it was only very slight. It's about time we had some cooler summers :D

Edited by Relativistic