Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
12 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

a great harvest?.. in the rain?.... surely a good harvest needs dry warm weather. its too late now, the growing period is all but over, its about ripening now not growth.

I worded it poorly. Conditions have been great for growing this summer, its been warm, wet and quite sunny too.

So, if the rest of summer is average, it should be a great harvest?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
10 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I worded it poorly. Conditions have been great for growing this summer, its been warm, wet and quite sunny too.

So, if the rest of summer is average, it should be a great harvest?

IF the rest of summer is average, maybe so, but the outlook looks wetter then average to me - just when farmers need bone dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
On 15/07/2017 at 09:40, Spurry said:

Looks like my optimism on Tuesday has been completely taken away, currently it looks as if i'm gonna be dodging the rain/showers in Sweden next week :wallbash:  GUTTED:nonono:

It turned out really well in the end , went to Sweden for just over 5 days and 3 1/2  were sunny and warm and 2 were overcast with some light rain in the morning but not enough to ruin things , even swam in the local lake 3 times...

Posted

Must be a piece of cake being a weather forecaster in Southern Italy, albeit a bit boring and uncomfortably hot: 'Intense heat for at least 10-12 days'.

Puglia Weather 28th July 2017.jpg

Posted
2 hours ago, pinkertonsurly said:

Must be a piece of cake being a weather forecaster in Southern Italy, albeit a bit boring and uncomfortably hot: 'Intense heat for at least 10-12 days'.

Similar to the Greek summers. Only good if you don't have to go to work and can stay by the beach all day (covered from the sun). Horrible if you have to work and especially if you live away from the sea where there is no escape from the 40c+ heat for days or even weeks! So glad I don't have to go through that anymore.

• Like 1

Posted

Karyo - I lived and worked in Turin for 3 years, and inland from Ancona for 2, so I sympathise - sounds like where you were was worse, although I must say I thought I was going to die during my first summer in Turin!

Edited by pinkertonsurly

Posted
2 minutes ago, pinkertonsurly said:

Karyo - I lived and worked in Turin for 3 years, and inland from Ancona for 2, so I sympathise - sounds like where you were was worse, although I must say I thought I was going to die during my first summer in Turin!

I guess Turin gets hot and humid but also gets some thundery breaks from the heat.

I used to live in Serres, northern Greece. It is a city in a valley, surrounded by mountains. In the summer it is like an oven that doesn't go off. No sea breeze gets there. There are quite a few inland places in Greece with a similar microclimate to Serres. Larisa in central Greece is even worse as it is on average 2-3 degrees hotter in the summer!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

From the point of view of those of us who want summer over with, one has to say that the outlook is glorious. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 27/07/2017 at 07:08, mushymanrob said:

IF the rest of summer is average, maybe so, but the outlook looks wetter then average to me - just when farmers need bone dry.

This is the time of year when dry, settled weather is absolutely needed. I can understand people not wanting heat, but I will never understand those who actively root for cool, wet weather. I just don't understand at all how anyone could possibly derive any pleasure from such conditions. Is it like BDSM? Do they enjoy pain? :pardon: 

Given the choice between a day of rain/showers and a high of 18C, and a day of partly cloudy skies and a high of 22C, surely the latter is far more appealing? You would think so.. 

In fairness, yesterday was largely okay, with some sunshine and a high temp of 21C - but then it started raining in the evening, much like the past few days, meaning those of us who work didn't have much opportunity to spend any time outdoors, unless you enjoy being soaking wet.

I always try telling people abroad that summers in the UK really aren't as bad as the stereotype suggests, but the outlook implies that their expectations will be met.. really is depressing.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

From the point of view of those of us who want summer over with, one has to say that the outlook is glorious. 

But what is there to look forward to after that? More wind and rain? Or the promise of cold and snow, that you and I know is unlikely to happen?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, cheese said:

This is the time of year when dry, settled weather is absolutely needed. I can understand people not wanting heat, but I will never understand those who actively root for cool, wet weather. I just don't understand at all how anyone could possibly derive any pleasure from such conditions. Is it like BDSM? Do they enjoy pain? :pardon: 

Given the choice between a day of rain/showers and a high of 18C, and a day of partly cloudy skies and a high of 22C, surely the latter is far more appealing? You would think so.. 

In fairness, yesterday was largely okay, with some sunshine and a high temp of 21C - but then it started raining in the evening, much like the past few days, meaning those of us who work didn't have much opportunity to spend any time outdoors, unless you enjoy being soaking wet.

I always try telling people abroad that summers in the UK really aren't as bad as the stereotype suggests, but the outlook implies that their expectations will be met.. really is depressing.

Couldn't agree more. Keeping a beady eye on charts for next weekend as I've another camping trip booked (New Forest this time). What a surprise, what looked like being a reasonable weekend for quite a few model runs now with high pressure gradually ridging in has suddenly changed to a sopping wet vilefest as a new low meanders in. Partly cloudy skies and 22C sound like a heatwave at the moment lol, I'd take that with both hands!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
7 hours ago, cheese said:

those of us who work outdoors would trade heat for dry anyday, assuming we couldnt have both!

the dreadful outlook is set to continue with no improvement generally much before mid august.

• Like 2

Posted

Raining, again. Another day ruined. Vile.

• Like 1

Posted

Another poor day here...i cant actually find the words to describe thur and fri without breaching the swear filter.

Worse still the outlook is more of the same.

Thoroughly enjoy reading the technical posts in the mod thread but i cant help feeling whether its A+b or A+C or A+D(la nina/el nino etc) they all lead to summer crap or winter crap,something somewhere is leading to a southerly jet in summer and a northerly jet in winter, yes i know there will be exceptions but in reality for someone who enjoys seasonal weather the UK climate is as bad as it gets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
13 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Another poor day here...i cant actually find the words to describe thur and fri without breaching the swear filter.

Thoroughly enjoy reading the technical posts in the mod thread but i cant help feeling whether its A+b or A+C or A+D(la nina/el nino etc) they all lead to summer crap or winter crap,something somewhere is leading to a southerly jet in summer and a northerly jet in winter, yes i know there will be exceptions but in reality for someone who enjoys seasonal weather the UK climate is as bad as it gets.

How do you think I feel in 'winter'? all winter is now in TMW is wind/ rain frost and low pressure, the odd good month, but not many really since '99, Summers though, not convinced yet that they are changing, but you never know

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
35 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's all about probability rather than guarantee. If you look at 18C+ summer months for example then ~80% of those have occurred with +ENSO conditions. All that means though is that the chance of such a month is 20% with +ENSO vs 10% with -ENSO. 

It's kind of like the hot April/cool summer pattern we saw in the past decade which is not really supported by historical statistics. In that sense, failing to get a hot summer month in 2014/2015/2017 is essentially just down to low probability and bad luck. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 28/07/2017 at 11:48, pinkertonsurly said:

Must make a mental note.....don't go to Southern Italy,that looks awful!

Posted

If you like a mixed bag, then next week is your week.... Bristol certainly that. As for August, it had been showing promise, but the signal from EPS starting to wane w/ respect to a UK wide settled spell. (tho, the extended period will offer more 'summer like' conditions as opposed to the here and now.)

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 09.06.38.png

Edited by draztik

Posted

Got to admit,finding this current weather very agreeable,good nights sleep,17/18c,bit of cloud,bit of sun can't complain at all. Lovely fresh breeze as well,looking good for at least the next week so very happy chap:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Nice break from the showers today. Lovely, warm sunny day (23c) and looks like 24c tomorrow with similar weather.

Hopefully we see an improvement next week onwards as it's back to rain for Wednesday afternoon!

Posted

Loving the fresh mornings,makes you feel so much! Not really light till past 5am so win win,roll on autumn mists and colours. Favourite time of year by far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

It hasn't been too bad of a Summer this year. Mostly dry and bright, but with some instances of rain and showers at times. What this Summer has been unappealing for so far is thunderstorms, with none of the plume-like setups delivering anything. 

Personally, I would love August to change that, but looking at the models, it doesn't look as though they'll be any proper heat for the next week or so at least (although things could always still change). Just be nice to have a decent Spanish plume setup with an authentic thundery breakdown. Any storms that have broken out just haven't wanted to hang about over the West Midlands (at least not in this part). 

Maybe some of the showery setups this week could at least provide showers with a few odd rumbles. But just want a proper storm, really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

It hasn't been too bad of a Summer this year. Mostly dry and bright, but with some instances of rain and showers at times. What this Summer has been unappealing for so far is thunderstorms, with none of the plume-like setups delivering anything. 

Personally, I would love August to change that, but looking at the models, it doesn't look as though they'll be any proper heat for the next week or so at least (although things could always still change). Just be nice to have a decent Spanish plume setup with an authentic thundery breakdown. Any storms that have broken out just haven't wanted to hang about over the West Midlands (at least not in this part). 

Maybe some of the showery setups this week could at least provide showers with a few odd rumbles. But just want a proper storm, really

Proper plumes break down with a whimper here, but deliver to the east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
31 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Proper plumes break down with a whimper here, but deliver to the east

Yeah, kinda sucks really! I swear those setups used to be so much better at delivering the goods