Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
3 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

it can be warm and sunny, thats true, but if all you require is a bit of sunshine and warmth for it to be 'summer', i pity you! :p

theres far more to summer then sunshine and warmth... summer like weather in september for me is like boxing day is for a kid..... the party is all but over.

So much this!

It's only a matter of weeks now before I start to notice the light level/angle of the light change and get that first autumn/winter prang and it makes me utterly depressed.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
47 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Very depressing, just at the time of year when it's most unwelcome. Typical crap UK climate though, nothing new! Hopefully some better output coming soon.

no better here today...9c windy, cold, damp and cloudy..never mind though 30c forecast for Wednesday :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
6 hours ago, danm said:

Hmm, not sure I necessarily buy that. Yes, since 2013/14 we've had a run of mild, relatively snow free winters - the longest run I can remember - however we can sometimes forget that the preceding 5 winters all had great snow events:

2008/09: Feb 2009 - heaviest fall of snow down here since Feb 1991

2009/10: Cold, snowy December and January

2010/11: Record breaking December with snow falling widely from late November

2011/12: Heavy snowfall for many in Feb 2012

2012/13: January and February had decent amounts of cold, snowy weather and many areas had a frigid March.

But yes, since then the cold and snowy switch has been turned off. It's most likely cyclical.

Still remember the excitement of late Nov 2010 in the forum building up a week before it arrived, we knew something very special was going to come. Had about 6 inches/15cm on the 30th here which for November is quite impressive for that month with no full thaw for a long time. Seeing all that cold marching west on the charts was brilliant too, it was like the mid 80's. These charts are just insane for the time of year. I am feeling nostalgic!

archives-2010-11-30-0-0.pngarchives-2010-11-30-12-1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
7 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

You are talking about the last 11 years being poor ... there's been the problem of very low ice (lowest ice coinciding with the worst summers) ...is there a connection? 

well not so much poor per se as not being very good (overall).

i have no idea whether theres an ice connection. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Does look rather zonal, more typical pressure chart for Jan, won't feel like average Jan 11°, but just looks low pressure

170728.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A number of off topic posts have been hidden.

Members again are reminded this thread is to moan or ramp about the charts and the related weather,not about other posters.

If a few of you wish to exchange such views please confine personal comments to PM or other more private means.

Thanks all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

no better here today...9c windy, cold, damp and cloudy..never mind though 30c forecast for Wednesday :cold:

9C? Brrr! But a lovely 30C to look forward to, lucky you. Just booked a little holiday in Spain 3rd week of August, can't be doing with this autumnal crap here, far too early. Model output is just dire at the moment, with little sign of a let-up, makes holidaying in the UK really hard work. Am going camping again 4-6 August on the Hampshire coast, hope it's not cold and wet like the weekend just gone, bit worried about it but know it's still a way away.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

If you guys are struggling to provide an apt description for the kind of disappointingly wet summer weather you are having with no end in sight, just label it a Glasgow Summer (like a Glasgow kiss, only about weather). It seems to happen here all the bloody time.

I genuinely do feel for you as you wont be used to it. It was actually very nice here today and everyone ran outside to make sure they didn't miss the big bright thing in the sky. Who knows when we'll see it again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Must have been the coolest day of the summer so far down here in the south east: 15/16c? 

Very unusual to have Glasgow 10 degrees warmer than London in summer, or any time of year in fact. 

Back to something a bit more normal tomorrow with Glasgow at 19/20c and London at 23c!

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
Posted

huh ..... my facebook feed for 'on this day' reads the same weatherwise... for the past 3 summers 'on this day' i was bemoaning the 'bad news' as deep upper troughs or the atlantic was kicking off, with no sign of any heatwave... its getting beyond a joke now..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Generally, the same as what happens in winter they tell us it's going to be the coldest winter in x amount of years and it turns out mild summer is just the reverse with temps around or a bit below average

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Generally, the same as what happens in winter they tell us it's going to be the coldest winter in x amount of years and it turns out mild summer is just the reverse with temps around or a bit below average

You can always relie on the Express to provide a accurate forecast.....just needs reversing and they are always spot on!:D The year they say it will be a record mild winter get your sledge and ski's ready!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 hours ago, markyo said:

You can always relie on the Express to provide a accurate forecast.....just needs reversing and they are always spot on!:D The year they say it will be a record mild winter get your sledge and ski's ready!

karyo, no, if it says mild winter, it will be a mild winter, if it says cold winter, it will be a very mild winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Have we ever had record mild temps to hit the front page for winter, not even when it was record breaking news we never got a forecast for it.

Its always rain snow winds and cold I suppose its easy just rehash the already written news.

Posted

Given the next 7 to 10 days looks poor im hoping to see the jet lift north in early August.I do fear given the meto updates( they are almost always right when i dont want them to be)that its going to be a long haul getting out of the upcoming pattern once it sets in..

Seems pointless having a rant, the plain truth is we are suffering more from an active jetstream and have been for really quite a few years, and its crap.

Posted

If we have to have a low sitting there, the ECM makes about the best of it. With light winds, after the next few days, and the air not that cold, it looks like a "sunshine & heavy showers" set up. A bit more encouraging for those of us who'll be on the West coast next week, where, apart from the odd front, there could be plenty of sunshine, few showers & light winds! My fear of strong cold winds and driving rain off the Irish sea, may not come to pass after all!

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Perfect growing conditions, some warm sunshine, and some rain, nothing too cool. gonna be a great harvest this year?

a great harvest?.. in the rain?.... surely a good harvest needs dry warm weather. its too late now, the growing period is all but over, its about ripening now not growth.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Another days work down the pan, although it's not such a problem these days without the commitments that I had when I was younger . Expect it in  Autumn and Winter , bloody frustrating in the Summer.

Posted
27 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Another days work down the pan, although it's not such a problem these days without the commitments that I had when I was younger . Expect it in  Autumn and Winter , bloody frustrating in the Summer.

Well to be fair we had a couple of reasonable afternoons here, back to slate grey skies again this morning and persistant rain.

Posted
2 hours ago, 78/79 said:

i worked in it..... i have to... i cut grass and that doesnt stop growing just because i dont want to get wet..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

i worked in it..... i have to... i cut grass and that doesnt stop growing just because i dont want to get wet..

Always a bit of a problem doing face brickwork or laying natural stone when it's raining, , especially when the mortar runs all over the face of your work:)

• Like 1