Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
50 minutes ago, knocker said:

Well one of the many notable things of the winter of 62-63 was it's longevity, and in general terms people did not deal with it. It caused many problems and not a little distress particularly with the elderly. I was young at the time and I struggled. And it devastated many animal species.

I totally agree,any extreme can be devastating,look at 76,the wild life was hit massively,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i always feel the first frosts more then the later ones..... i always feel the first hot days more then the later ones, but of course if the first frosts were -1c and theres a -12c later i would feel that more obviously.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Better get some fireworks out of this low moving up as it looks like it's going to ruin the next week of outdoor plans I have.

• Like 2

Posted

I see METO have put the last nail in the forecast summery spell in their latest update. Damn our vile climate!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, davehsug said:

I see METO have put the last nail in the forecast summery spell in their latest update. Damn our vile climate!

Absobloodylutely, you want to try living in this neck of the woods dave its much wetter than your area, try an imagine how that would feel...

Its just pathetic winter after winter and pathetic summer after pathetic summer

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

TBH I'm quite happy with the forecasts going forward. Nothing stupidly warm showing at the moment :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters. Cool wet summers.

Please make it rain! Or better make it winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, simshady said:

TBH I'm quite happy with the forecasts going forward. Nothing stupidly warm showing at the moment :) 

Below average temperatures and rain/showers in high summer, how wonderful. Of course, we have so many months of the year for that joyousness but let us all rejoice that the peak holiday weeks will probably be ruined by constant troughing. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
31 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Below average temperatures and rain/showers in high summer, how wonderful. Of course, we have so many months of the year for that joyousness but let us all rejoice that the peak holiday weeks will probably be ruined by constant troughing. 

The models show depressions..how depressing:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Posted

All the millions of pounds the met office have and they still struggle to forecast past a week. You can get just as good forcast on here. Camping next week in devon. Not happy....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, minus 9 said:

All the millions of pounds the met office have and they still struggle to forecast past a week. You can get just as good forcast on here. Camping next week in devon. Not happy....

And that just goes to show just how difficult long-range weather forecasting is then, doesn't it?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The models show depressions..how depressing:rolleyes:

The face on the GFS says it all :doh:

gfs-0-78_hoj3.png

• Like 4

Posted

speaking of long range forecasting even the bbc  did their monthly outlook only yesterday.. they have this

Monday 24 July—Sunday 30 July

Summer set to make a return.

As we look ahead to the end of July, many places should see a continuation of dry, fine and warm weather. Southern parts of the UK are mostly likely to see spells of rain with the chance of heavy, thundery showers pushing north from the near continent. However, the timing and exact location of these potential thunderstorms is very uncertain at this early stage. We are all likely to see temperatures above the seasonal norm through this week, especially overnight, giving some warm and humid nights.

so temperatures above the seasonal norm.. so where have they got this from? even on their  10 day outlook they have the weather westerly based...

Posted
37 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And that just goes to show just how difficult long-range weather forecasting is then, doesn't it?

I never said it was easy ed...

Posted

Today was the max for being comfortable for working in for me,any hotter and it becomes a nightmare. Even at this temp every site were  complaining how hot the conditions were in the rooms we were in. Thankful for the cooling down,i know selfish but in certain lines of work the temp can have a big effect,mine is one of them. I do feel sorry for folk now the summer holidays are about to start,fingers crossed usable weather is the order of the day!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
53 minutes ago, minus 9 said:

Not happy!!! Over the last 5 -7 days it's look more Autumnal than Summer for next week...But it don't look bad at all now and improving on every run.

At least your in Devon....I'll be not far from Cleethorpes..... EAST COAST :whistling:

• Like 1

Posted

What a vile day. Humidity....no thanks,awful.:angry: Thankfully gone tomorrow:)!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It's simply not going to happen this year for proper heat lovers in my opinion. 

u.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

The GFS is trying to push some westerlies in the tropics (good for us) but you can see that heat lovers have been screwed by a significant trade wind burst near the date line which has overpowered the said positive sign. 

With no real sign that the easterlies will abate, i suspect that a N/S split is as good as it gets. 

Of course that's not a bad thing for me since as we enter August i switch to wanting a cooler and more unsettled pattern. 

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

I have been musing over why 'downgrade' and 'upgrade' are accepted terminology on here. After all they are both very subjective. For example in winter the onset of balmy south westerlies would be taken as a definite upgrade by most normal people but on here it would be considered, without a shadow of doubt, as a positive downgrade and be greeted by many tantrums and stamping of little feet. Go figure.

I'm off to see what Sidney makes of it all

sid.thumb.jpg.b6c9d0d7701ade97a5910b15e1334438.jpg

Edited by knocker

3 hours ago, knocker said:

I have been musing over why 'downgrade' and 'upgrade' are accepted terminology on here. After all they are both very subjective. For example in winter the onset of balmy south westerlies would be taken as a definite upgrade by most normal people but on here it would be considered, without a shadow of doubt, as a positive downgrade and be greeted by many tantrums and stamping of little feet. Go figure.

I'm off to see what Sidney makes of it all

sid.thumb.jpg.b6c9d0d7701ade97a5910b15e1334438.jpg

You do know why really though, right? You're just trolling, which I suppose is fine on the model banter thread. Enjoy it! Just try to avoid your bias on the main model thread, as your posts are usually quite informative. thanks :)

• Like 1

Posted

Really disappointing outlook, especially for those of us with UK holidays in the next 2-3 weeks. Even moreso given the positive forecasts from both the professionals, and the amateurs on here, which have crumbled away to dust in the last week or so. It's hard not to feel a little cheated!

• Like 1

Posted

Loving the outlook, Nothing uncomfortable on the horizon,perfect!.......now were did i put that flak jacket,think i might get a bit of incoming fire soon:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes I can hardly wait for that 960 mb low next week that the models showed this morning..glorious output..especially for squirrels and ducks!:D 

I'm sceptical, karl...What was the depth of the 'bomb' that caused the 1979(?) Fastnet Disaster?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, davehsug said:

Really disappointing outlook, especially for those of us with UK holidays in the next 2-3 weeks. Even moreso given the positive forecasts from both the professionals, and the amateurs on here, which have crumbled away to dust in the last week or so. It's hard not to feel a little cheated!

Vile outlook at the best part of high summer, just as holiday season starts. Might scrape a few reasonable days, having said that. Fingers crossed that weekends at least are usable. 

• Like 2