Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
20 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

It's funny how different the seasons can be on such a small island. From my POV (based in London), this summer has been pretty darn good so far! Plenty of warmth and sunshine, with the odd heavy shower thrown in. Absolutely can't complain!

The models seem to be showing a continuation of dry, warm weather throughout this week, with the exception of Thursday where we could get some hefty showers. Yes, they show a breakdown by the end of the week, but how often have we seen the Azores high reassert itself quickly following a slight cooler period. 

I'm hoping this lovely summer is followed by a cold, snowy winter. Seasonal weather for all, I say!

I enjoyed my summers down in Sussex . It does look like your summers are becoming more continental down the SE quarter of the British Isles, whilst the NW keeps the rain, Atlantic winds and coolness . Quite a start contrast taking place . However, winters I am afraid are usually snowless for most parts of the country now days, especially along the south coast and London area.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, carinthian said:

I enjoyed my summers down in Sussex . It does look like your summers are becoming more continental down the SE quarter of the British Isles, whilst the NW keeps the rain, Atlantic winds and coolness . Quite a start contrast taking place . However, winters I am afraid are usually snowless for most parts of the country now days, especially along the south coast and London area.

100% spot on, the difference between the SE and NW is staggering..

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, carinthian said:

True, although if I had to choose between Med summers or cold winters, I'd probably go for the former. I love both, but warmth and sun generally just makes the world a more pleasant place. 

Saying that, it wasn't too long ago that we had a foot of snow in London and a string of cold winters. With the sun now entering a dormant state, we might get a bit more luck. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

True, although if I had to choose between Med summers or cold winters, I'd probably go for the former. I love both, but warmth and sun generally just makes the world a more pleasant place. 

Saying that, it wasn't too long ago that we had a foot of snow in London and a string of cold winters. With the sun now entering a dormant state, we might get a bit more luck. 

I think two winters ago , some places on the south coast never recorded a air frost . Now that is food for thought. You never know , I winter of snowy surprises might just turn up , hopefully!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

I hope you find a nice place to live Carinthian, it is not nice to feel like you in the wrong place. Enjoy the sunny days :-)

IMG_2524.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I think I'd also be depressed as hell living up north with the cool climate. The UK doesn't see much warm weather as it is, so to get days and days of 14-18c in summer when it's often 5c warmer down in this neck of the woods makes me glad I live where I do! Ok, you might get a bit more snow up north....but for what little we do actually get, I'd happily trade it for some warmer days in summer..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

June was warmer and sunnier than average here. Warmest June since 2006 in fact. If you were unhappy with that then you're not going to be pleased at all unless June 1976 makes a return in the future.

I think, like someone else mentioned, people's expectations are far too high. It is perfectly normal to get cooler periods in summer.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, cheese said:

June was warmer and sunnier than average here. Warmest June since 2006 in fact. If you were unhappy with that then you're not going to be pleased at all unless June 1976 makes a return in the future.

I think, like someone else mentioned, people's expectations are far too high. It is perfectly normal to get cooler periods in summer.

Exactly! Summers are turning warmer even in northern England. The higher temperatures are often accompanied by humid cloudier conditions which can make it quite unpleasant at times. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It's been a relatively decent summer here so far, quite a lot of very warm days and sunshine, marred a bit by some spells of cloud and the now commonly howling wind, especially earlier in June. 

Feel sorry for those in the N/NW, especially Scotland. Don't know how you do it, I just couldn't live with more cloud and cool crap. It's bad enough here lol, so I've made the decision to move to Prague next year. I am looking forward to some proper seasonal weather year round. 

• Like 1

Posted

June was a good summer month here, the warmest since 1976 in fact. It also had 110% of average sunshine. Strangely it was the wettest since 2007, with 200% of normal rainfall, but this is deceiving as over three quarters of that fell on three days (two of which during the night) with only 25.0mm on the other 27 days.

Last June had a mean temp 2C lower, 91.0mm of rain and just 135 hours of sunshine. That was a poor month.

Edited by reef

Posted
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

Exactly! Summers are turning warmer even in northern England. The higher temperatures are often accompanied by humid cloudier conditions which can make it quite unpleasant at times. 

I think even in the NW of England there is a divide. Roughly north of the Ribble, wetter,cloudier and cooler.Where as South Cheshire , more a Central England type summer prevails. I know our region does well with the high block to the north in Summer, like early on  but a fairly rare feature . Today in Skipton must rank as one of the most miserable days of the summer, Low cloud and thick drizzle  all day long. Glad I am moving this weekend to sunnier climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, carinthian said:

I think two winters ago , some places on the south coast never recorded a air frost . Now that is food for thought. You never know , I winter of snowy surprises might just turn up , hopefully!

Whats wrong with North Yorkshire Carinth? Stunning July weather :rofl::angry:

Preview_Camera1_01_20170704_162713_986260765.thumb.jpg.71573578a2afac629bf07befb350881d.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carinthian said:

I think even in the NW of England there is a divide. Roughly north of the Ribble, wetter,cloudier and cooler.Where as South Cheshire , more a Central England type summer prevails. I know our region does well with the high block to the north in Summer, like early on  but a fairly rare feature . Today in Skipton must rank as one of the most miserable days of the summer, Low cloud and thick drizzle  all day long. Glad I am moving this weekend to sunnier climate.

That is correct further north and the Irish Sea being larger relative to northern England massively culls the temperature. In a word a sh*t climate...

Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
9 hours ago, Smartie said:

Always makes me smile to see you moaning in here, it means great summer weather is on the way! 

I feel the same way when the model thread gets 2-3 posts a day...

Edited by Ice Man 85
typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

11 minutes ago, carinthian said:

You are right cheshire area is sometimes 10c warmer than here.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

That is correct further north and the Irish Sea being larger relative to northern England massively culls the temperature. In a word a sh*t climate...

Mokidugway, I tried my best but my Austrian wife having no truck with NW weather. She hates it and wants out now ! Will miss the beer and pubs.

Posted
33 minutes ago, karyo said:

Yes. Today has been cloudy, but dry and it's felt reasonably warm, especially due to no/light wind. Good day for gardening etc.

Although it just started raining lightly here having said that, lol.

Edited by cheese

Posted
15 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Whats wrong with North Yorkshire Carinth? Stunning July weather :rofl::angry:

Preview_Camera1_01_20170704_162713_986260765.thumb.jpg.71573578a2afac629bf07befb350881d.jpg

I love Yorkshire vizzy2004, The Skipton Pie shops, the hills, Tim Taylors Landlord bitter, Harrogate, the Yorkshire Wolds but the constant days of cloud and drizzle has sent Mrs C crazy . She wants out and back to sunnier climate. She must be obeyed.  Some of my happiest days when we lived on the Wolds (1980s ) Saw some good snow drifts up there, sadly even those days seem on the wane ! Anyway back to Austria in September and rest of the summer in Sussex.

Posted
30 minutes ago, carinthian said:

I think you're right. Just like SE England is warmer/drier than SW England, not all of the north is the same. The weather here, in low-level Yorkshire and Cheshire, and around Manchester and Liverpool, is definitely better than in Cumbria, the Pennines or Northumberland. Compare the weather station at Bingley, to the weather station at Church Fenton, to get an idea of the difference. The former is significantly wetter, and quite a bit cooler/cloudier. And of course, the Lake District is much, much wetter and cloudier than here.

I think the climate here is generally okay by British standards. Rainfall and sunshine are generally on par with areas in the South East, but around 2C cooler in summer and 1C cooler in winter. But even the best areas of Britain aren't very good compared to Vienna!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, carinthian said:

I love Yorkshire vizzy2004, The Skipton Pie shops, the hills, Tim Taylors Landlord bitter, Harrogate, the Yorkshire Wolds but the constant days of cloud and drizzle has sent Mrs C crazy . She wants out and back to sunnier climate. She must be obeyed.  Some of my happiest days when we lived on the Wolds (1980s ) Saw some good snow drifts up there, sadly even those days seem on the wane ! Anyway back to Austria in September and rest of the summer in Sussex.

To be fair, although were in the same county the weather here can be a lot different to Skipton as we are only 22 miles from the east coast, so get much more sunshine levels that those west of the Dales.

Only a few miles from the Wolds here and just set up a weather station in Thixendale, they had a frost on the 25th of June :)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

I think you're right. Just like SE England is warmer/drier than SW England, not all of the north is the same. The weather here, in low-level Yorkshire and Cheshire, and around Manchester and Liverpool, is definitely better than in Cumbria, the Pennines or Northumberland. 

Even on the short train trip between Leeds and Skipton you often see total different weather .

Posted
2 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

To be fair, although were in the same county the weather here can be a lot different to Skipton as we are only 22 miles from the east coast, so get much more sunshine levels that those west of the Dales.

Only a few miles from the Wolds here and just set up a weather station in Thixendale, they had a frost on the 25th of June :)

Thixendale, what a great location. I once hit a six onto the slope that over looks the ground. The ball landed on a sheep and sent it packing !   Had to buy a round in the pub next door. It was one of our teams things to must do ! The sheep survived but was rudely awakened.

• Like 2

Posted

After only half a summer in Central Europe I can see why carinthian's wife has got fed up so quickly. Summer in Bratislava is excellent: very warm or hot most days with only the occasional brief cooler interlude (as opposed to the other way round), and most rain comes in the form of thunderstorms. Just goes to show you don't need to travel to the Med to find reliable summer warmth.

By the way the rest of July after Friday is going to be a write-off - I'm heading back to Blighty.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Thankfully looking much better by the weekend,fresher cleaner air on it's way,much nicer!:) That crap from the continent isn't hanging around,what a relief.

• Like 1