Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

10C on a late June evening, so cold I can see my breath outside.:cold::angry:  It's also extremely dark especially as we're only just past the solstice.  I do hope we aren't having the same conditions as during the past few years: semi-permanent low pressure throughout what we laughingly call "summer".  Looking at the thickness charts a persistent blob of green snot covering the UK surrounded by yellows and oranges. 

We have a very few months of what I would describe to be warm, I resent that little is encroached on by conditions more reminiscent of  winter, let alone autumn.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
Typo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

10C on a late June evening, so cold I can see my breath outside.:cold::angry:  It's also extremely dark especially as we're only just past the solstice.  I do hope we aren't having the same conditions as during the past few years: semi-permanent low pressure throughout what we laughingly call "summer".  Looking at the thickness charts a persistent blob of green snot covering the UK surrounded by yellows and oranges. 

We have a very few months of what I would describe to be warm, I resent that little is encroached on by conditions more reminiscent of  winter, let alone autumn.

This is exactly it. There are so many months of the year in the UK that are cloudy, unsettled and cool. We get a precious few months of the year to enjoy some genuine summer warmth, and weather like this robs us of that.

Those who revel in cool, wet weather like today have most of the year to enjoy! Summer should be warm - not necessarily hot, but definitely not cold. 

I was actually quietly optimistic regarding this summer, especially since summers in 2013 have, by and large, been okay - but my expectations are dwindling very fast. Today really reminds me of terrible summers like 2007 and 2012. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's not very often I rack up 21mm of drizzle at any time of the year, but that's exactly what has happened today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Air con is rather rare in the UK.. because most people don't need it. With average highs in most of England ranging from 20 to 23C in July and August, it's definitely not a wise investment.

Air con isn't even common on the continent, let alone here.

If I didn't have a breathing problem when lying down then I wouldn't need it on as much, a bedroom temp above about 21C is awful for me. I don't like a freezing cold room as that's no good for me either. But it's really only the last couple of days (without the assistance of air con) where the temp in the bedroom has dropped to below 21C which is fine. 17-20C is perfect for my condition. With the probability of not much sun on the roof over the next 24-48 hours it should stay cool indoors.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

If I didn't have a breathing problem when lying down then I wouldn't need it on as much, a bedroom temp above about 21C is awful for me. I don't like a freezing cold room as that's no good for me either. But it's really only the last couple of days (without the assistance of air con) where the temp in the bedroom has dropped to below 21C which is fine. 17-20C is perfect for my condition. With the probability of not much sun on the roof over the next 24-48 hours it should stay cool indoors.

Ah okay, I didn't know that. My apologies. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Ah okay, I didn't know that. My apologies. 

No problem :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I didn't expect this much rain here, the charts and forecast initially kept me out of the worst of it. 30mm up until midnight, 1.6mm in the last 15 minutes. 45.4mm in the last 36 hours.

5954390c45723_chart(1).thumb.png.831db633cd505ac173973aef1725ed74.png

Windows open, so a nice sound to get to sleep on. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
18 hours ago, cheese said:

Air con is rather rare in the UK.. because most people don't need it. With average highs in most of England ranging from 20 to 23C in July and August, it's definitely not a wise investment.

Air con isn't even common on the continent, let alone here.

You would be surprised about how common air con is now.

I am just getting it installed because of the continued muggy feel, you must remember that the difference between Leeds and the south east is a lot temp and feel wise.

They can heat as well as cool and are a cheaper way to heat or cool the house than most other forms of heating.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

what vile weather.... only day 2 of the wet and its like november here...dull, wet, just yyech! 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, seaside 60 said:

You would be surprised about how common air con is now.

I am just getting it installed because of the continued muggy feel, you must remember that the difference between Leeds and the south east is a lot temp and feel wise.

They can heat as well as cool and are a cheaper way to heat or cool the house than most other forms of heating.

Oh come off it. I don't know anyone in the SE who thinks their summers warrant air con. Summers even in the warmest parts of the UK are lukewarm at best. London has average highs of 23.5C in July - yet you talk about them as if you live in Florida or Texas! 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

what vile weather.... only day 2 of the wet and its like november here...dull, wet, just yyech! 

Now now @mushymanrobthere's no need to be so insulting about November like that. :laugh:
I mean, November normally has the decency to put a load of wind with this rain to make it far more interesting, plus the weather front would have cleared a long time ago, and we'd be having sunshine and showers by now. :wink: 

... By the way, for what its worth I totally agree with you, its just dull, wet yuck... I really hate days like this, let alone days, upon days, upon days like this.:nea::wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, cheese said:

Oh come off it. I don't know anyone in the SE who thinks their summers warrant air con. Summers even in the warmest parts of the UK are lukewarm at best. London has average highs of 23.5C in July - yet you talk about them as if you live in Florida or Texas! 

Blimey thats a bit strong, only making a comment to what I think.

In regards to your come off it comment. inc our summers are lukewarm at best.

We got quotes off 5 companies, all had a lead time of 3-4 weeks, not wishing it to be a point for point comment, but I know of many people inc friends that cant not cope with the humid muggy weather we get here these days.

Why are you so aggressive over  simple comments or is it just the way you phrase things.

The weather down here can be unpleasant from April till late September in regards to humidity.

Please remember that not everyone is 20 and fit to work and sit in the sun all day and other people opinions count even if you dont agree with them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Blimey thats a bit strong, only making a comment to what I think.

In regards to your come off it comment. inc our summers are lukewarm at best.

We got quotes off 5 companies, all had a lead time of 3-4 weeks, not wishing it to be a point for point comment, but I know of many people inc friends that cant not cope with the humid muggy weather we get here these days.

Why are you so aggressive over  simple comments or is it just the way you phrase things.

The weather down here can be unpleasant from April till late September in regards to humidity.

Please remember that not everyone is 20 and fit to work and sit in the sun all day and other people opinions count even if you dont agree with them.

cheese is fine, his posts are amusing, he gets upset a lot on here, don't put him on ignore, you'll miss the entertainment

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

cheese is fine, his posts are amusing, he gets upset a lot on here, don't put him on ignore, you'll miss the entertainment

A bit cheesy though ,I've had him on ignore for yonks :rofl: I have air con too via my air source heat exchanger :crazy:

Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I know we all fight our corners and believe what we think is right, some come over more stronger than others.

I would never put someone on ignore unless they were rude but by then mods would have them out anyways.

Argue your corner with respect is what I always say.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
19 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Really sorry to hear that,must be very difficult in the heat and the cold,my whining and moaning is trivial compared. Hope you are finding this weather more to your liking......the only thing i suffer from is Grumpy old man syndrome in regard to heat,nothing like yourself.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As excited as people are getting about the day 10 Euro chart, it looks to me as if at best the low will pass Scotland in a day or two sparing the south. I don't see a sustained ridge building there. 

The GFS days 11-16 is probably one of the worst runs of the summer with the Azores High developing a negative tilt and in the later stage we even see a ridge build over Svalbard which locks in a trough over Scandinavia and we become like fish in a barrel. 

Posted

Have any date low maximum records been broken today? It was certainly cold here, I could see my breath at lunchtime!

Posted
2 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Have any date low maximum records been broken today? It was certainly cold here, I could see my breath at lunchtime!

My car thermometer should 5 degrees at 9 O'clock, struggle to see that in most Winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
On 27/06/2017 at 22:14, draztik said:

ECM leading the gaggle up the garden path in MOD thread..... oh Euro, why must you do this!

Looks like ECM had the right idea in building pressure as per today's UKMO 12z

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

The gfs going for some nice temps in the SE next week culminating in widespread 27-28C on Friday. Keep still my beating heart as the SE PR machine swings into action. :shok:

Posted

Indeed, the low pressure arrives slower and further north than was forecast a day or two ago which allows more time for the Azores to spit out a more defined ridge in our direction albeit one which has consistently been blown away soon after on most models. The GFS post day 8 then gives the Azores a more negative tilt and we see low pressure move NW-SE.

The common theme from just about all runs in recent days is that none of them really want the Azores High to move away from the aforementioned region, this means that the UK is at the periphary and dependent on slower jet streaks.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Looks like ECM had the right idea in building pressure as per today's UKMO 12z

eh? All looking pretty standard fare to me... and what I said was based on the output on the 27th, which showed strong heights over the UK - something the ECM dropped on future runs (all looking rather westerly based) So nah, what I said came to pass. Enjoy the garden, tho.

Edited by draztik

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

Models once again perpetuating the notion that we cannot have high pressure without heat. I miss the days of average summers. Getting tired of these extremes (in both directions before anyone says).