Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's very simple, when it gets hot in this country, the highest temperatures are experienced with lower humidity. On Friday when we were hovering just under 28C, humidity was at 45-50% (while not dry as such, it certainly wasn't humid), with a breeze to boot. The noticeable humidity actually came when the temperature went down, yesterday being a classic case.

This is not to say that people aren't affected in different ways by humidity, but I do often think people interchange heat and humidity which are two quite different things!

• Like 2

Posted

One does wonder how some people would cope with the summers that most other countries from our latitude southwards get..

Although I suppose our summer climate can have a tendency towards longer cool to average spells with an occasional heatwave (so people don't get used to it). Also house design often doesn't help of course, but that can be true for some parts of Europe where air conditioning is often still rare. 

Toronto, where a friend is (AC more common though he doesn't have it) had frequent 30C+ spells last summer, one with dew points of 25C+, much more humid than we get. That is further south but those air-masses can be carried considerably far north over continents.

Anyway some models have improved again this morning while the ECM has decided it's going to be Autumn for a few days at least.. but then it's all FI. At least it shows low heights over Greenland and things could position more favourably down the line.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
On 5/30/2017 at 03:31, Ice Man 85 said:

I'm tea total and I agree with him. When we get warmer weather, its always laced with humidity that adds a good 3-4 degrees to what it actually is. Its that same humidity that lingers at night and makes it unbearable.

That is so right.

Its the south west winds that cause the problem more especially down here in the south east.

Edited by seaside 60

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 5/30/2017 at 07:29, markyo said:

Humidity gives a higher apparent temp than the actual temp is. Every body feels the temperature differently,one persons very hot is another's nicely warm and one persons freezing cold is another's shorts weather. It's all in the perceived feeling of that temp that is the point. There is not a specific temp that becomes hot rather than warm,same in reverse in winter. 

It seems like you have misunderstood my post, for some reason. It's false that heat in the UK is more humid than any other temperate climate. Probably the opposite - our heatwaves are usually accompanied by low dew points and humidity.

I'm not talking about humidity making the apparent temperature higher, which is of course true. Although taking last week as an example, on Thursday we had a high temperature of 27C with a dew point of 16C. This would give an apparent temperature of 28C. Most people are not going to notice a 1C difference in temperature.

On 5/30/2017 at 05:54, Woollymummy said:

Stop assuming you know what other people perceive Cheese: how can you say that someone else's perception of heat is *not* affected by humidity?! What a strange statement. Read this and go back to sleep. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4042662/

Please read my reply to markyo, and calm down. :rolleyes:

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The apparent temperatures in my location, during the recent warm spell, were two degrees lower than the maximum temperatures, due to it blowing an absolute hoolie! The apparent temperatures are only of use if the temp is 27°C > and there's practically zero wind.

A very pleasant and civilised spell of weather - more of it please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, cheese said:

It seems like you have misunderstood my post, for some reason. It's false that heat in the UK is more humid than any other temperate climate. Probably the opposite - our heatwaves are usually accompanied by low dew points and humidity.

I'm not talking about humidity making the apparent temperature higher, which is of course true. Although taking last week as an example, on Thursday we had a high temperature of 27C with a dew point of 16C. This would give an apparent temperature of 28C. Most people are not going to notice a 1C difference in temperature.

Please read my reply to markyo, and calm down. :rolleyes:

The only point i'd like to make is folk can feel drastically different regardless of how close the figures are,everybody feels it differently. Agree a 1 degree of movement in temp shouldn't be noticed but it all depends on local differences as well. Think the problem more lies with our inability to cope with humidity in this country,myself included but that is down to my job,a small increase can make a big difference,it is not a linear scale of increase i'm afraid. You are lucky,it doesn't effect you ,folk like myself suffer,but the reverse happens in the winter so really we can't have much to complain about really do we?:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

The only point i'd like to make is folk can feel drastically different regardless of how close the figures are,everybody feels it differently. Agree a 1 degree of movement in temp shouldn't be noticed but it all depends on local differences as well. Think the problem more lies with our inability to cope with humidity in this country,myself included but that is down to my job,a small increase can make a big difference,it is not a linear scale of increase i'm afraid. You are lucky,it doesn't effect you ,folk like myself suffer,but the reverse happens in the winter so really we can't have much to complain about really do we?:)

careful Mark, or will be raining tears in Leeds,

today though been a decent summers day, whatever the humidity

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

careful Mark, or will be raining tears in Leeds,

today though been a decent summers day, whatever the humidity

I know....I'm trying to be Mr Nice guy this year,trying not to upset folk at all. Even the good folk of Leeds!! :)

Really liking the look of the models with a fresher regime taking over from Saturday, it'll be nice to get things done outside in a fresh westerly breeze, its summer tomorrow and uppers will never be that cold from now on esp after mid June, some doom mongers whenever they see LP think it means rain all day and cold temps, temps still very useable and not a washout, the warm sectors are what brings high rainfall totals more than cool air. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Utterly vile weather today, unbelievably bad, max temperature of 12C in London is beyond a bad joke and that wind! Really paying for those few nice days last week.

Posted

You would it was late October out there today. Tomorrow at least looks better but then back to rain Thursday. If this is to be a wet summer I'll be looking forward to the crisp clear days of September.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Utterly vile weather today, unbelievably bad, max temperature of 12C in London is beyond a bad joke and that wind! Really paying for those few nice days last week.

Same here, max of 12C with lots of rain and wind. One of the worst summer days I've experienced for ages!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I would give the latest 12z gfs a big ramp:D

m6BEqzc1R9bAao6qRthn_1082132277.png

Posted
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

I would give the latest 12z gfs a big ramp:D

m6BEqzc1R9bAao6qRthn_1082132277.png

You mean into its later output? Oh indeed.

here is yesterdays gfs 12z at 240, and todays 12z ....

heights into greenland 1 day, hights building over the UK the next... what shall tomorrow bring? Spin the wheel and all the best.

gfs-12-240.png

gfs-12-2401.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, cheese said:

Same here, max of 12C with lots of rain and wind. One of the worst summer days I've experienced for ages!

It did get up to 17C in the end but still dreadful and that wind hasn't stopped howling! Just vile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
32 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It did get up to 17C in the end but still dreadful and that wind hasn't stopped howling! Just vile.

its lovely here 27c :cold:wall to wall sunshine:drinks:

Posted
8 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its lovely here 27c :cold:wall to wall sunshine:drinks:

Where's 'here'? We had those temps last week, very nice too.

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Where's 'here'? We had those temps last week, very nice too.

Edmonton - the one in Canada, not London!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Edmonton - the one in Canada, not London!

yep Edmonton London is pretty vile even when its 27c and wall to wall sunshine..too humid..here its 25% humidity so its 27c feels like 25c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I've really enjoyed the weather of recent days. A fresh oasis in the desert of warmth that is 2017.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

looking like that hot spell next weekend is going t*ts up....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
On 10/06/2017 at 19:01, mushymanrob said:

looking like that hot spell next weekend is going t*ts up....

Not any more if the ECM is right. Kill me now...