Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
33 minutes ago, 40*C said:

I think the bbc have a too big self-serving bias thing. Over-exaggerating London with temps hitting 25c on Sunday yet only showing 17c for elsewhere that isn't in a region just a few miles North of London.  They seriously do love themselves too much.

Not quite, up here in the Fens there are temperature predictions of 22/23C so not far off London, it depends where you are looking, for example areas east of London will receive sea breezes off the Thames Estuary for example.

Nothing overly cold on the horizon though temperature near or a little below average, the key seems to be how influential heights in the Atlantic can be or will we see a more west/north westerly based spell with rain at times like the ECM.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, Summer 1976 said:

Our best snow of the year came in the last third of April last year. The charts for the weekend look from a long way north again this year. 

i dont remember any snow last April???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i dont remember any snow last April???

In Brum we had heavy snow for a couple of hours during the evening of the 26th. Settled in the Lickeys a couple of miles away. The final week of April 2016 was 8th coldest on record (CET) IIRC.

• Like 4

Posted

I must admit i don't understand the perverse weirdos who seem to exult at the thought of severe frosts and snow at the end of April when nature is starting to bloom. Not surprised though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

It'll be lovely to have a bit of frost and cool air next week. Hardly saw any over winter. The cooler the better tbh. Cold hating nancies can wait a bit longer lol.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, simshady said:

It'll be lovely to have a bit of frost and cool air next week. Hardly saw any over winter. The cooler the better tbh. Cold hating nancies can wait a bit longer lol.

Here,here...Those Nancies who moan and wimpier when it gets below 14c in summer will have plenty of time yet to brag how they aren't effected by the heat and love the humidity!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 21/04/2017 at 22:19, simshady said:

Stuff that for a game of soldiers.  It's the end of April and I don't want to see a return to winter no matter how brief.

"Cold hating nancies can wait a bit longer lol."   A "Nancie" like me?  That's a 1" thick slab of ice. 

frozen_nene1.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
On 4/21/2017 at 22:19, simshady said:

theme of many winters to come, just gone, hardly any snow, trend is bad folks,

Posted
On 21/04/2017 at 17:52, knocker said:

I must admit i don't understand the perverse weirdos who seem to exult at the thought of severe frosts and snow at the end of April when nature is starting to bloom. Not surprised though.

Same here.  Those who adore the endless chill of our now "Forever Autumn" climate forget that the older you get, your ability to withstand cold lessens.  At the end of April I'm still having to use the central heating - my living room temp is only 19C so I'm not actually living in a sauna.  I should remind the coldies of the awful cull of the sick or elderly (and at 67 that includes me) that happens every year between November and March.

This April has been just another late winter month with only that one weekend we saw the sort of temperature we normally expect - I wouldn't even describe 18-20C as especially warm, only compared to our now usual daily fare of 10-13C.

I'm holding out hope for the coming weekend when we might see something warmer with temps of at least 16C.   Is this week's cold shot the final SSW event of the season?

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
On 21/04/2017 at 17:52, knocker said:

All through my life springs have had these sudden  winter type cold snaps and with strong spring light you can get the most wonderful arctic skies with great cloudscapes and colourfull sunsets, These can last in our neck of the woods till mid summers day as the frequency of N and E winds is high until then with settling snow on the mountains stiil not unusual in June. My mother who was a Londoner said" spring did "nt happen in Scotland summer arrives on the 1st of June" And when she first came here was absolutely amazed to be reading a newspaper outside at 11.00pm in June with our long summer days so there were compensations

• Like 3

Posted

I generally prefer variation around the average as opposed to homogeneous temperatures/weather, so a northerly perhaps followed by it going warm to start May would fit that. Not sure about all this anti cold/anti warm stuff (though I am biased to warmer in summer and colder in winter given our limited seasonal range).

I do though have some concern about frosts after the mild conditions so far and the advanced Spring with apple blossom out and many trees coming into leaf (I only remember 2011 being slightly ahead or similar).

1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

This April has been just another late winter month with only that one weekend we saw the sort of temperature we normally expect - I wouldn't even describe 18-20C as especially warm, only compared to our now usual daily fare of 10-13C.

Hmm this April has been above average so far? (March even more so), and 10-13C is perfectly normal in April particularly in northwestern areas. 18-20C is definitely warm for April (that's average June maxima), even if you might expect a few days like it in central/southern parts, let alone the 25C some places got on the 9th.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Dull here this morning but becoming a little brighter later. Temps around 8-10 for the next few days. May feel a little cooler if the wind gets up. :)

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Same here.  Those who adore the endless chill of our now "Forever Autumn" climate forget that the older you get, your ability to withstand cold lessens.  At the end of April I'm still having to use the central heating - my living room temp is only 19C so I'm not actually living in a sauna.  I should remind the coldies of the awful cull of the sick or elderly (and at 67 that includes me) that happens every year between November and March.

I'm holding out hope for the coming weekend when we might see something warmer with temps of at least 16C.   Is this week's cold shot the final SSW event of the season?

I would simply point out a prolonged hot spell is far more dangerous for the elderly than prolonged cold.

Look up records of the French heat wave from 2003 - I know the one thing the authorities here worry about is a 1976-style event with temperatures in London approaching 40c for 10-14 days at a time. The "cull" as you put it of the elderly would be far greater than the coldest of winters.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
13 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Hmm this April has been above average so far? (March even more so)

Absolutely! This April has been fantastic, sunshine above average, temps quite a bit above average, and rainfall below average. The humidity has been consistently low too, so a superb month to dry your washing. victory.gif

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, stodge said:

I would simply point out a prolonged hot spell is far more dangerous for the elderly than prolonged cold.

Look up records of the French heat wave from 2003 - I know the one thing the authorities here worry about is a 1976-style event with temperatures in London approaching 40c for 10-14 days at a time. The "cull" as you put it of the elderly would be far greater than the coldest of winters.

I'm not really interested in any figures from France, their health system is quite different from ours as is their climate.  I well remember Summer '76 and I don't recollect a significant loss of the elderly due to heat compared to the estimated 50,000 annually killed by the British winter.  One problem with the elderly is that they don't dress for the heat so that's a problem of culture - little old ladies swathed in heavy winter coats during the rare times we actually make 80F.  As the body ages it eventually loses the ability to regulate internal temp. in the face of highly variable ambient temp.  However it is far cheaper to cool down in hot weather than forking out a small fortune in heating during the 37-week heating season in the UK.

Not heard of having to choose between heating or eating?

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

I generally prefer variation around the average as opposed to homogeneous temperatures/weather, so a northerly perhaps followed by it going warm to start May would fit that. Not sure about all this anti cold/anti warm stuff (though I am biased to warmer in summer and colder in winter given our limited seasonal range).

I do though have some concern about frosts after the mild conditions so far and the advanced Spring with apple blossom out and many trees coming into leaf (I only remember 2011 being slightly ahead or similar).

Hmm this April has been above average so far? (March even more so), and 10-13C is perfectly normal in April particularly in northwestern areas. 18-20C is definitely warm for April (that's average June maxima), even if you might expect a few days like it in central/southern parts, let alone the 25C some places got on the 9th.

You are writing from the south coast.  I live 250 miles further north.  I lived in Southampton for a couple of years during the 1950s and can assure you the climate in the Merseyside area is significantly different from that of the south coast.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I'm not really interested in any figures from France, their health system is quite different from ours as is their climate.  I well remember Summer '76 and I don't recollect a significant loss of the elderly due to heat compared to the estimated 50,000 annually killed by the British winter.  One problem with the elderly is that they don't dress for the heat so that's a problem of culture - little old ladies swathed in heavy winter coats during the rare times we actually make 80F.  As the body ages it eventually loses the ability to regulate internal temp. in the face of highly variable ambient temp.  However it is far cheaper to cool down in hot weather than forking out a small fortune in heating during the 37-week heating season in the UK.

That's an incredibly short-sighted and narrow viewpoint.

As someone having to care for an elderly relative, I know full well many older people do not like extremely hot conditions - say 30c or above - especially if that is twinned with high humidity.

Apart from exacerbating existing bronchial conditions, older people don't always drink enough or eat the right things to manage extreme heat.

We don't have, as many hot climates do, the luxury of air conditioning in most homes and, as you do rightly say, the economics is a big problem but I would repeat extreme heat is as much if not more of a risk to older people than extreme cold.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, stodge said:

That's an incredibly short-sighted and narrow viewpoint.

But it's MY point of view.

As someone having to care for an elderly relative, I know full well many older people do not like extremely hot conditions - say 30c or above - especially if that is twinned with high humidity.

As an elderly person I would prefer heat rather winter cold however instances of 30C twinned with high humidity are very rare.

Apart from exacerbating existing bronchial conditions,

I'm asthmatic and at risk of pulmonary oedema. Humid heat is great for my chest.

older people don't always drink enough or eat the right things to manage extreme heat.

Please enlighten us. 

We don't have, as many hot climates do, the luxury of air conditioning in most homes and, as you do rightly say, the economics is a big problem but I would repeat extreme heat is as much if not more of a risk to older people than extreme cold.

I think we need to agree to disagree.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
34 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I agree,they elderly do suffer during the cold in Winter,more so than in the Summer. This could be down to them being less active than the working population and therefore aren't as effected by 30c plus temps. Paradoxically this works against them in the Winter,less activity,less warmth. Personally i find the Summer by far the most expensive time, My Lecky bill trebles due to having to run the aircon in my bedroom. I must admit though i am very lucky as i don't feel the cold,heat yes..never have the house hotter than 16c ever.

• Like 1

Posted

I seem to getting a fair bit of advice on how to post in the MOD lately and it's all a bit much for simple chap like me. First I was 'told' to post more constructively and now 'asked' to include more meteorological content. I don't know whether to twist or stick. :cc_confused:

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

What a fantastic day weather wise,everything in one day,how the heck anybody who's interested in weather could complain about today is beyond me. Travelled over 450miles with work,north to south then return,so much more interesting and enjoyable than what's to come over the next few months.

• Like 3