Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
10 hours ago, 40*C said:

Buy a fan. Its like complaining in mid-winter that its too cold at night but you don't want to switch on the heating 

It's far more difficult to get cool than warm, once you are down to your underwear regulating via clothes just doesn't cut it. Hot weather is vile, humid, hot weather is just cruel, especially as the cold, fresh weather that I am comfortable with is gradually being taken from us.

Markyo - One trick that works for a short time, put your wrists under cold water for a few minutes, it tricks your body into feeling more comfortable when it's hot. Putting ice and cold water into a large bowl and sitting with your feet in it also works to an extent.

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

mark, wear wet clothing, t-shirt/vest etc, that's what I do on hot evenings, works well

long way off from that though yet!

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I thought last summer was very good here in London/SE apart from June very overcast the summer as a whole was terrible for storms, September was very much an extension to summer. Essentially cancelling out that poor June. I recorded 35C on the 13th that is spectacular heat for so late. We've had a string of good Summers again this may not be true for some folk in the country, when was the last bad one.. Before 2012?

Last August was good, with above average temperatures (though slightly below average sun hours).

July was so-so, average temps and cloudy.

June was awful in every way possible.

The last truly awful summer in London was 2012, and before that, 2011, 2008, 2007.  Summer 2013 was good, 2014 was decent, 2015 and 2016 were fairly normal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Im really Cheesed off with BBC forecasts along with many others banding the word around " Cool" or "Cooling" off. As it been hot,??? Not Here! This is the wrong terminology for this time of year. Cooling or cool is a Summer term , for instance a Summer temperature of 30c then a cold front comes across and lowers the temperature to 20c that's a cooler trend , but if as we are now at this time of year, temperatures of 17c going down to 8c is for very mild to getting cold. Not sure if BBC have an "Agenda" along with other forecasting networks  but this is wrong terminology and this needs to change. I don't call 8c cool along with a strong wind....Its Cold :cold:Just look at the chart below minus 5 850s and a strong wind spells COLD!!!:cold:

cool.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

For me 8c is average, you have to get closer to freezing for it to be cold. These days we rarely get cold weather, merely coolish. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

re: Hot Days: Top tip is to stick white paper (we use waste photocopied A4) on your windows to reflect lots of the light away but keep room bright, and make sure ventilation is maximum in the night time and minimum during the heat of the day, as more hot air just comes in and is hard to get rid of. 

Looking forward to some hot days eventually.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, ukpaul said:

For me 8c is average, you have to get closer to freezing for it to be cold. These days we rarely get cold weather, merely coolish. 

8° classed as cold maybe now in the large teapot, 20 years ago would be classed as balmy

Posted

I awoke this morning with an odd question running through my head. Do weather forums attract more pedants than average and is it seasonal?.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

I awoke this morning with an odd question running through my head. Do weather forums attract more pedants than average and is it seasonal?.

You'll find it on every forum on every subject alas. At least it's consistent- a bit like our recently dull climate. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
15 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Im really Cheesed off with BBC forecasts along with many others banding the word around " Cool" or "Cooling" off. As it been hot,??? Not Here! This is the wrong terminology for this time of year. Cooling or cool is a Summer term , for instance a Summer temperature of 30c then a cold front comes across and lowers the temperature to 20c that's a cooler trend , but if as we are now at this time of year, temperatures of 17c going down to 8c is for very mild to getting cold. Not sure if BBC have an "Agenda" along with other forecasting networks  but this is wrong terminology and this needs to change. I don't call 8c cool along with a strong wind....Its Cold :cold:Just look at the chart below minus 5 850s and a strong wind spells COLD!!!:cold:

cool.png

8c with a fresh wind is certainly shorts weather still,not cold!....but that's my opinion!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, markyo said:

8c with a fresh wind is certainly shorts weather still,not cold!....but that's my opinion!

Funny, because today is sunny and 13C and I have seen nobody dressed in shorts. Quite a few people are still wearing coats.

I think they're nuts myself because it's a lovely day and not even remotely cold, but there you go.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

byas because I just love hot weather, enables you to sit outside in the evening and read your books or go to the pub and sit in the beer garden or do things we cant do in the winter. Today here I think I will call it the clearest day, bluest sky and warm temps. OK warmer than average. Interesting to note that we had very little storms to speak of compared to the last couple of winters, we all got suckered into the northern blocking, but it never quite made it this far west did it. Massive outputs misread on every noteworthy long range forecast.

Someone please explain to me the point of a seasonal long range forecast. Note that the MET stopped doing it after the so called barbeque summer turned into a washout. Don't get me wrong the people on here that stick their necks on the line fair play but it ends up a damp sqid as winter just gone proved. Colder than average mmm possible for a 15 day period maximum. 10-12 frosts in a row, one night of rain turning to snow followed by the inevitable warm up. hocus pocus, weather will do what it always does.

Roll on a glorius hot proper 90's style summer please   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Gorgeous weather today, hopefully a long and roasting hot summer to come this year, lovely :D

IMG_4194.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Gorgeous weather today, hopefully a long and roasting hot summer to come this year, lovely :D

IMG_4194.PNG

Is your home town named after an oil slick!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

IMG_4194.PNG

Shame about what's to come though. Hope it's only a blip.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
12 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

8° classed as cold maybe now in the large teapot, 20 years ago would be classed as balmy

8C is almost into heatwave territory here...cold its not

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Is your home town named after an oil slick!:D

The name does give off the wrong image! 

Posted

Counting the days now to 21st of June,least after then those crap light mornings will get shorter:)! Started hayfever early,tree pollen,what joy only another 4 months of feeling ill to go,can't wait.

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like we are in for a prolonged period of high pressure dominated weather. Something like spring 2007. Given all the HP we have had over the past few months,law of averages suggests a 2007 summer also. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
5 hours ago, SW1988 said:

Looks like we are in for a prolonged period of high pressure dominated weather. Something like spring 2007. Given all the HP we have had over the past few months,law of averages suggests a 2007 summer also. 

Theres is nothing happening in the stratosphere suggesting a 2007 style summer right now. . Bear in mind that 2007 had knock on effects from the previous warm summer, note very warm SSTs earlier than usual so sea evaporations were faster during this period and also atmospheric pressure zones were changed leading to a stronger jet and different wind directions over Europe.  The winter of 2006/7 was warmer than average too.  

Edited by 40*C

Posted

Truly perfect Spring morning,cool,fresh,clear blue sky,lovely 17c ish predicted,who could want more? Going to miss these mornings in the up coming months,Summer can't compete with this i'm afraid.What better way to wake up to after a cool nights sleep!

• Like 2

Posted

Well everyone is happy over on the model( high pressure appreciation society)thread.

Shame the weather aint a bit more interesting for weather enthusiasts. Hopefully a big change soon!

• Like 1

Posted

Christ, what I'd give for some interesting weather. Aside from 2 snow events (1 very half hearted) and a couple of timid storms (Ok, Doris was good/bad) there has been naff all interesting in about a year now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I think the bbc have a too big self-serving bias thing. Over-exaggerating London with temps hitting 25c on Sunday yet only showing 17c for elsewhere that isn't in a region just a few miles North of London.  They seriously do love themselves too much.