Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking good for a cool spring,may it continue...long hot summers fills me with pure dread and despondency,really don't get the reason for enjoying them,just a totally uncomfortable pain to live with.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Really looking forward to a hot summer now and hopefully plenty of dry days as at the moment the consistent daily grime wash and now back to cold again is getting too long in the tooth.

I've been dreaming of taking an early holiday to Tenerife - winter needs to move on out now - it had its chance and failed.

Edited by chillyblast
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, chillyblast said:

Really looking forward to a hot summer now and hopefully plenty of dry days as at the moment the consistent daily grime wash and now back to cold again is getting too long in the tooth.

I've been dreaming of taking an early holiday to Tenerife - winter needs to move on out now - it had its chance and failed.

Agreed.

Cold Springs are awful, esp down here. 7-10c (or thereabouts) and rain in March/early April doesnt float my boat. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Very mild/warm early Springs are pretty rare here (bar exceptions like March 2012). Been plenty of instances of snow cover in March here. Last year, 2005, 2008, 2013 and many other years. In my experience it doesn't really warm up to need a summer jacket or none at all until sometime in April but even then snow cannot be ruled out at some point, we had a brief covering one morning in late April last year! so you just never know when wintry weather will show it's hand again well into Spring. Down south is probably a different story.

May on the other hand can be a very decent month here for dryness & proper warmth - last year was just one example, going from snow in late April to temps in the 20's in early May & brilliant blue skies for days on end. In fact May has been the best month of the year for sunny warm weather here in the north-west on many years. Similar for Scotland too.

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, markyo said:

Looking good for a cool spring,may it continue...long hot summers fills me with pure dread and despondency,really don't get the reason for enjoying them,just a totally uncomfortable pain to live with.

Sunny and settled summers yes, humid no

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Sunny and settled summers yes, humid no

Agree,sunny,settled i can deal with,its humidity that's the pain to live with,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Blistering days and storms at Dusk ( so to highlight the lightning!) would suit me!!! I'm thinking we must be due a hot July/August at some point?!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Well, we had a fairly decent second half to summer last year! June was pretty poor. July had a good hot spell in the second half of the month, August was the warmest since 2004, and September was fantastic - equal second warmest. Who knows what we will get served up this year. As long as it's not like some of the washouts we had to endure through a fair bit of the 2000s (especially some of the Augusts - yuck) then ill be happy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

In all honesty I don't think winter has been too bad in terms of precipitation but it is more than making up for it this week, as someone who spends or wants to spend some time outdoors daily wet roads / ground for weeks on end is wearing.

Be good to finally get some settled dry, not frosty, days.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 14:09, Gavin Plummer said:

I really can't wait until we get our first blistering heatwave, the sooner the better!!

Heatwave.thumb.jpg.787dd46c3dbc991d0f550ec53b52e0c1.jpg

:yahoo:

Summer in the UK doesn't really get going until mid June onwards, long long wait for your blistering heatwave if at all. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Eugene said:

Summer in the UK doesn't really get going until mid June onwards, long long wait for your blistering heatwave if at all. :yahoo:

Reached 25 here early April '15, had a hot week early May last year. 

Posted

Any potential again 10 days away.Ready for warm now after one of the most irritating winters ever.We better have a hot summer grrrrŕr lol.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, joggs said:

Any potential again 10 days away.Ready for warm now after one of the most irritating winters ever.We better have a hot summer grrrrŕr lol.

By the law of average we're not due a bad one because of 2007,08,11,12 so we can be quietly confident it might be at least average:good:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
23 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Blistering days and storms at Dusk ( so to highlight the lightning!) would suit me!!! I'm thinking we must be due a hot July/August at some point?!!

If we draw the line at 1C above the 1981-2010 average then we are not overdue a warm July (2013, 2014) but are overdue a warm August (2004 being the last one) and also a warm June (2006 being the last one). We have seen relatively cool summer months (1C below the average) in the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, Matthew Wilson said:

By the law of average we're not due a bad one because of 2007,08,11,12 so we can be quietly confident it might be at least average:good:

Well if we extend the range to more anomolous months (1.5C from the 1981-2010 average) or 2C then we are definitely more due a shocker of a June than hot and marginally more a shocking July/August. 

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

If we draw the line at 1C above the 1981-2010 average then we are not overdue a warm July (2013, 2014) but are overdue a warm August (2004 being the last one) and also a warm June (2006 being the last one). We have seen relatively cool summer months (1C below the average) in the last 5 years.

Well if we extend the range to more anomolous months (1.5C from the 1981-2010 average) or 2C then we are definitely more due a shocker of a June than hot and marginally more a shocking July/August. 

Interesting. The thing is even if June was like 2013 at 13.6 but average sunshine I would take that over last years wet June of 15.1. So depends what other factors come into play apart from just temperature

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

well that was another non eventful winter.  Glad to see the back of it to be honest and can't say I'm enthusiastic about the winter 2017/18 either going by the UK's recent track records.  I just want some summer warmth now....although even that might be asking too much too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 19:09, markyo said:

We are actually long overdue one of them dreaded summers with something prolonged and extreme. I am confident enough that there will be another 2003 or 2006 in the next five years. Exciting times ahead :D:D:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

We're definitely due a warm August, though last year and 2013 were pretty good here at least.

Pretty sure the Junes of 2009 and 2014 were warmer than average?

Posted
26 minutes ago, 40*C said:

We are actually long overdue one of them dreaded summers with something prolonged and extreme. I am confident enough that there will be another 2003 or 2006 in the next five years. Exciting times ahead :D:D:D

Are we though? 1976, 83, 95 are the hottest of that century and occurred quite recently. 2003, 06 this century but 06 could have been the best ever if only September would have been August that year. I'm not saying it won't happen soon again but wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. A sunny settled summer is due though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 01/03/2017 at 02:27, mb018538 said:

Well, we had a fairly decent second half to summer last year! June was pretty poor. July had a good hot spell in the second half of the month, August was the warmest since 2004, and September was fantastic - equal second warmest. Who knows what we will get served up this year. As long as it's not like some of the washouts we had to endure through a fair bit of the 2000s (especially some of the Augusts - yuck) then ill be happy.

August was good here and September too (too late though). Shame about June, very unpleasantly wet and dull despite apparently above average temperatures (certainly didn't feel like that in reality). July was dreary and dull too until the last third of the month. I'm hoping for above average temperatures this summer (as usual) but most importantly I'd love to see above average sunshine amounts. Can't bear depressing summer gloom. Oh and some proper '80's-90's style thunderstorms. About time we had some of those, it has been pathetically poor here for storms for the last 15 years or so, the biggest change I've noticed in recent summer conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Maybe we got lucky here, but 16/17 July 2015 produced the most intense and spectacular thunderstorm I've ever seen in my life in Cambridge:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2015/july
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-33564355

Just check out those radar echoes! It was quite a narrow band of very severe weather, we just happened to be right under it for once. 
I worked in a school which was totally overwhelmed and flooded all over the place. Hail bigger than golf balls, gale force winds, horizontal rain, lightning the lot. If we could get something like that again it would be amazing! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yes you certainly were lucky! Events like this occurred more frequently in the 80's-90's. I remember many a storm preventing sleep and flooding local roads etc. It's become so much rarer in recent years with most thundery activity keeping to the continent but am hoping a more 'normal service' resumes soon.

Posted
23 hours ago, joggs said:

Hmm. We've had plenty of frost so much better than the previous wash out. Snow has been non existent for years though. I'd say it's only irritating if you believe silly long range "forecasts" or model charts 10 days out.

• Like 1

Posted

Got a feeling Spring will take a while to get going this year. The Daffs round here have only just come out, when in previous months they would be out at the end of Jan in most cases. Expecting a cool and wet spring and not happy about it.