Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

outside of 75 & 76 the summers of the 1970s were poor..and dont forget 85,86,87 & 88 four awful summers in a row and apart from Feb 91 (which was the last potent easterly) the 90s winters were very hit and miss not particularly great

The summers of 83,84,89 were glorious though. Some of the best in that century maybe 3 in the top 10.

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

And to add - most of the 70s Winters were mild and wet down here, bar Feb 78 and, of course, Winter 78/79. In the 90s only '91 and '95 (i think) were any good for cold and snow.

Summers? Seemed warmer and drier back then, but maybe that is selective memory syndrome on my part:)

1996 and 1997 were quite cold, 97 was the last time the famous elfstedentocht skating tour was held, they are only held in the coldest years... (and 96 was the last year with a negative djf average temperature)

Edited by ArHu3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

1996 and 1997 were quite cold, 97 was the last time the famous elfstedentocht skating tour was held, they are only held in the coldest years... (and 96 was the last year with a negative djf average temperature)

tha good old winters!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
23 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

The summers of 83,84,89 were glorious though. Some of the best in that century maybe 3 in the top 10.

you would think..but summer 2016 was warmer than both 1984 and 89

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

The main change in our current "forever Autumn" is the persistent cloudiness.  In summer what sunshine does occur is in the small hours before most of us wake.  Come breakfast, the grey lid has already slammed down and stays until sunset.

Again, dry stats don't tell the full story.  Stats might "prove" that 2016 is warmer than 1984 but in '83 and '84 it felt much warmer because we actually saw the sun most if not all of the day.  All that incident IR on the skin which you don't get in modern sunless summers.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Matthew Wilson said:

They were much sunnier though which to me is no 1 on the list 

Agree, doesn't have to be 30C every day but at least some sunshine would be nice, not endless grey skies. Bad enough in winter! Thankfully this winter hasn't been as bad as recent ones for the dreaded gloom.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
21 hours ago, Nath said:

I could begrudgingly accept less snow and cold in winter due to "global warming", but it doesnt give the increase in storms or nice heat-waves during the summer.

Its like the UK weather is actually cursed, trying to deliver autumn weather all year round.

Moan over, just my observations over the last 5-10 years.

Back in the 70s 80s 90s we had decent winters and decent summer heat/storms, where and why has it all stopped?

Yes it seems that way doesn't it proper thunderstorms too and I remember icicles hanging like stalactites over a foot and a half long off the eaves of my house! 

I looked and thought yes! A weather warning for

snow and then was miffed to see that once again any exciting weather and warnings are everywhere EXCEPT our region blood typical 

Posted

I think you guys need to move tbh. No weather is as depressing as the English moaning about a climate that treats them pretty kindly. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, March said:

I think you guys need to move tbh. No weather is as depressing as the English moaning about a climate that treats them pretty kindly. 

I just want the same weather that we had 20-30 years ago lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The snowiest winters of the 1990s were generally 1990/91 and 1995/96.  1993/94 was quite a snowy winter in some regions, especially the north-east, despite not being particularly cold, while 1996/97 started off with some snow events in November and December but ended very mild.

The other winters of the 1990s were, however, predominantly mild.  Some winters had their moments (Bristol may well have been hit by the early March 1995 snow event for instance) but they were pretty rare.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

1996/97 started off very cold and snowy in the south east, in fact a spell that started after Xmas and lasted 9 days into the New Year with a few Ice days! - something we rarely see now days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I think that it is all relative to where you live, over in the S/E  and E , the better chance of heat in the summer , and cold/snow in the winter. Here in the  S W/  N/W  wet in the Summer , Wet in the winter.,Around here you can very easily have a crap summer followed by an equally crap winter:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Sunshine in summer has been poor here since August 2006. Since then, we've seen...

Cloudiest June on record 2016

2nd cloudiest June 2012

2nd cloudiest August 2008

3rd cloudiest August 2010

Along with some very cloudy July's in 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012

Only 4 summer months have been sunnier than normal since Aug 06. They are June 2010, July 2013, June 2014 and July 2014.

Temperatures have been close to average though. If May-August all recorded 200+ hrs like they average, then there would be little moaning from anyone.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Hardly a flake of snow all winter but we might not have a roof tomorrow afternoon.....

.ukgust.thumb.png.66df3cdd4384b1e799c61eff36e823e1.png

Joy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

It seems to me that the jet stream is somehow more aggressive these days, the PV never seems to want to calm down and is omnipotent to our North West so HP does to get a chance to take hold up near Greenland in winter at any rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
23 hours ago, 78/79 said:

I think that it is all relative to where you live, over in the S/E  and E , the better chance of heat in the summer , and cold/snow in the winter. Here in the  S W/  N/W  wet in the Summer , Wet in the winter.,Around here you can very easily have a crap summer followed by an equally crap winter:wallbash:

Having lived in both, the main difference is less rainfall year round. The principal benefit I found living in the SE was dryness. Otherwise the weather was quite boring, certainly less interesting than over here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I lived in York for 4 years while completing my degree, and much prefer living in Cambridge for weather! Principally for the mildness/dryness compared to up north. It's one of the worst places for wintry weather with a lack of elevation and being well inland, but when we get that continental feed in the summer and it's struggling up to 20c in the north and it's say 27c here, I love it! :D

Seeing as the whole country seems to struggle for a cold spell, I'm happy to trade that with the mild/warm weather that is way more common!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I lived in York for 4 years while completing my degree, and much prefer living in Cambridge for weather! Principally for the mildness/dryness compared to up north. It's one of the worst places for wintry weather with a lack of elevation and being well inland, but when we get that continental feed in the summer and it's struggling up to 20c in the north and it's say 27c here, I love it! :D

Seeing as the whole country seems to struggle for a cold spell, I'm happy to trade that with the mild/warm weather that is way more common!

York wasn't a bad place to live during the winters of  08/09 09/10 10/11, roughly 4 feet of snow from those winters and for somewhere that sits just above sea level I'm not sure York won't see anything like it again.

Whilst you may have not enjoyed the warmer months in York it can actually be the warmest place in the region at times and is regularly warmer by a few degrees that the surrounding areas, especially towards the coast.

The last few winters and summer months have been crap in York so you should be glad your back down south especially in summer.!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
52 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

York wasn't a bad place to live during the winters of  08/09 09/10 10/11, roughly 4 feet of snow from those winters and for somewhere that sits just above sea level I'm not sure York won't see anything like it again.

Whilst you may have not enjoyed the warmer months in York it can actually be the warmest place in the region at times and is regularly warmer by a few degrees that the surrounding areas, especially towards the coast.

The last few winters and summer months have been crap in York so you should be glad your back down south especially in summer.!

Absolutely! I missed the warmer months as they were inevitably out of term time, so I returned back home for summer. I lived there from 2003-2006, and certainly remember a few snowy periods. 
I also remember a number of floods preventing me trekking down Judi Dench Walk back to my house! Weather aside, it's an amazing place and I do miss living there. It has a lot of similarities to Cambridge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
27 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Absolutely! I missed the warmer months as they were inevitably out of term time, so I returned back home for summer. I lived there from 2003-2006, and certainly remember a few snowy periods. 
I also remember a number of floods preventing me trekking down Judi Dench Walk back to my house! Weather aside, it's an amazing place and I do miss living there. It has a lot of similarities to Cambridge.

2006 was a cracking summer in York, remember it well as I did my GCSE's that year so had May till September off!

I lived in York from 1995 to 2011 (ages 5-21) and I remember quite a few snow events, but Dec 2010 was by far the most id ever seen at 14m asl with 30 cm of level snow.

Since 2013 York has been mostly snowless and similar with other low lying areas across the region and I feel sorry for the youngsters.

I now live 14 miles NE of York closer to the coast in a hillier bit so whilst I've seen a bit more snow that York over the last few winters, this winter has been yet another dire one.

Ps, wonder if you remember the snow event around Feb 25 2005 in the morning?

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted

it never ceases to amaze me that on a site that purports to be scientific, posts that denigrate and dismiss the science out of hand always attract many likes. Actually I lie like a hairy egg, I'm not amazed in the slightest.

And while I'm posting just to say I've stopped chasing cold for another winter.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
On 21/02/2017 at 23:48, Thundery wintry showers said:

The snowiest winters of the 1990s were generally 1990/91 and 1995/96.  1993/94 was quite a snowy winter in some regions, especially the north-east, despite not being particularly cold, while 1996/97 started off with some snow events in November and December but ended very mild.

The other winters of the 1990s were, however, predominantly mild.  Some winters had their moments (Bristol may well have been hit by the early March 1995 snow event for instance) but they were pretty rare.

The summers of the 1990s were better than the winters of the same decade. There were only two overall mediocre summers of the 1990s: 1993 and 1998 and to me, they were still better than 2007 and 2012.  The rest had at least one good month or a month with some good summery spells (Just official summer months): August 1990, August 1991, June 1992, July 1994, late June-August 1995, June-July 1996, August 1997, July 1999  

The winters(offical winter months): February 1991 (got little from December 90 snow event), December 1993, February 1994, December 1995, late January-February 1996, mid December 1996-mid January 1997

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Looking at the forecast for the first half of March here, it's slightly warmer than average, but wet and very cloudy; a very uncommon mix for March.

The last Marches to be warmer, wetter and cloudier than average were 2005, 1998, 1989.