Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 14:06, Stationary Front said:

It's now 4 years on the trot

5 years for us down far south east. Gutted how this winter has turned out. 

Posted

There seems to be some excitement building in the mod thread! Strange that,given the bbc outlook 5 mins ago said we are going to be keeping temps above normal  and rainfall below normal till the end of the month. Very spring like he said, very bloody boring like in my opinion. Well I dare say the Atlantic will finally wake up soon after its 3 month slumber,certainly hope so! Yawn....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Yesterday, a friend of mine who lives in Skipton saw a rack of good quality snow shovels lined up outside the local hardware shop in the high street , all reduced in price to a bargain £1.99 each. The poor shop keeper  must have over stocked in supplies on the advance forecast sthat a cold , snowy winter was due way back in November or just read the Daily Express front page headlines of a snow and Arctic blast to last for weeks ! A load of B@llocks as usual. He also told me, that only 3 days of lying snow reported in the town at 9am for the whole of the winter season so far. 2 days lying snow in November. 6 recorded air frosts. Must be some sort of record for this location that is relatively elevated. Sounds like a winter bore fest for much of Northern England, a least spared the floods and winds this winter. Now then I wonder if I could do a job lot and get those valuable snow shovels over here ,or I think best kept where they are as a collectors piece as a reminder of winters past !

PS , Nearly a month now over here without any meaningful snowfall. Endless dry days and sunshine, but cold.

C

Edited by carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
14 hours ago, SW1988 said:

There seems to be some excitement building in the mod thread! Strange that,given the bbc outlook 5 mins ago said we are going to be keeping temps above normal  and rainfall below normal till the end of the month. Very spring like he said, very bloody boring like in my opinion. Well I dare say the Atlantic will finally wake up soon after its 3 month slumber,certainly hope so! Yawn....

For the near future, yes, it won't be overly cold. A cold shot at the end of next week, but all hinges on the SSW - so maybe the second week of March you could have something to get your teeth into. Of course by that stage it will need to pack a heavy punch to have any major effects - much like trying to get a heatwave in the middle of September. It's possible, just much harder to achieve! :D

Posted
5 hours ago, carinthian said:

Yesterday, a friend of mine who lives in Skipton saw a rack of good quality snow shovels lined up outside the local hardware shop in the high street , all reduced in price to a bargain £1.99 each. The poor shop keeper ...

Probably bought them into stock 3 years ago and now just had enough!

My snow shovel is better known as the shovel for autumn leaves these days :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, Weather_Novice said:

Probably bought them into stock 3 years ago and now just had enough!

My snow shovel is better known as the shovel for autumn leaves these days :D

Think the snow shovels should be binned to the attic,gather dust and rot away in time,just like the present run of British snow starved winters!

• Like 1

Posted

Went out without my coat for the first time this year today. Lovely in the sun. Sydney has no doubt been roasting his chestnuts by the open fire in the sky.

Edited by Spikey M

Posted
18 minutes ago, DR(S)NO said:

Im not sure this would really be a noteworthy spell ... As recently as 2012 a Feb temp of over 18 c was recorded and in each of the following years temps of 14-16c were recorded .

Certainly early feelings of Spring warmth seem more commonplace and there's something quite comforting feeling those early days of warmth on your back...

Not looking for exceptional tbh. I had to wait until 2 April last year to breach 15C, would just be nice to not wait so long!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, freezing fog, thunder and lightning

I have nothing to back up my thoughts...I just don't know why  after all these years of disappointment..I can't this year give up. If after 1 week I see no signs of this impending ssw showing signs.. then I will look forward to spring. I just think there is a major sting to come that will take even the daily express by surprise! Matt Hugo says he doesn't think there will be a repeat of March 2013 that is stating the obvious but I feel it might be.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, freezing fog, thunder and lightning

It wasn't until alli977 posted that it gave me the confidence to have hope 

Well thats 4 months of my life i wont get back... and all to show for it is a couple of sugar dustings... way back in October the up coming winter held so much promise.. background signals the way things were looking we were in for one hell of a winter, what have we had? a total borefest... yes some magical output for the end of December and into Jan... never really worked out apart from a few dustings... then  the 1947 feb was setting up and the models were at one stage showing us it could happen but again another fail... what have we learned from this?? probably nothing....will we come back in another 6 months yes for sure we will... see you all again in October when we start this crazy thing called winter again....guys and girls give it up its over finished...

Posted
8 hours ago, More Snow said:

Well thats 4 months of my life i wont get back... and all to show for it is a couple of sugar dustings... way back in October the up coming winter held so much promise.. background signals the way things were looking we were in for one hell of a winter, what have we had? a total borefest... yes some magical output for the end of December and into Jan... never really worked out apart from a few dustings... then  the 1947 feb was setting up and the models were at one stage showing us it could happen but again another fail... what have we learned from this?? probably nothing....will we come back in another 6 months yes for sure we will... see you all again in October when we start this crazy thing called winter again....guys and girls give it up its over finished...

I agree for once this sums it's up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, More Snow said:

Lol, I wonder if people will learn to be a bit more realistic next year, despite whatever fantastical output is showing at 10 days out? Don't agree winter is finished just yet, a good few weeks left where we could see some very wintry weather. Hopefully not though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am no expert but the pattern for this winter so far has been identical to the past few dreary wet and mild winters. Early cold followed by mild all the way to Spring. The curse of the Daily Excess?

Definitely all over and even earlier than last year....I have found daisies growing in the field!  Once they are there, it's game over.  Time to emigrate to Canada !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

All of March and April to go yet, although I agree that winter proper is now over, anything from now on is strictly spring snow even if a heavy fall of snow could certainly still happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 minutes ago, Ravendane said:

I am no expert but the pattern for this winter so far has been identical to the past few dreary wet and mild winters. Early cold followed by mild all the way to Spring. The curse of the Daily Excess?

Definitely all over and even earlier than last year....I have found daisies growing in the field!  Once they are there, it's game over.  Time to emigrate to Canada !

This winter has been quite different to the previous few. Not only was the coldest weather in January, but the Atlantic has been largely absent and we've been cursed by a MLB for the majority.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
16 minutes ago, Ravendane said:

Since when did we have early cold?...December has been the mildest of the three months thus far anomaly wise. Agreed with one of the above posts that far too many times this winter have we seen good D10 charts particularly on the ECM only to disappear or be watered down. Sadly when we have seen some form of HLB there has been too much of a jet stream / cyclogenisis near Greenland through to the Barents seas area possibly due to the very warm SST's in the northern latitudes.

This is becoming rather a theme now of an autopsy of the winter being discussed in February (remember it last year as well)...posts now referring to the 'hope' of a low solar minimum in the coming winters and if we see a continuation of these type winters it could well and truly confirm global warming and at a rate.

oh well 4 winters down now and 2 mornings with 'slushtings' (dustings but slushy) if that makes sense!, not great...  

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Since when did we have early cold?...December has been the mildest of the three months thus far anomaly wise. Agreed with one of the above posts that far too many times this winter have we seen good D10 charts particularly on the ECM only to disappear or be watered down. Sadly when we have seen some form of HLB there has been too much of a jet stream / cyclogenisis near Greenland through to the Barents seas area possibly due to the very warm SST's in the northern latitudes.

This is becoming rather a theme now of an autopsy of the winter being discussed in February (remember it last year as well)...posts now referring to the 'hope' of a low solar minimum in the coming winters and if we see a continuation of these type winters it could well and truly confirm global warming and at a rate.

oh well 4 winters down now and 2 mornings with 'slushtings' (dustings but slushy) if that makes sense!, not great...  

we had early inversion cold, 28-30th Nov, frost all day lingered, very frosty morning to 01 Dec, but in typical for post 2000, rained later

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The winter is over comments do make me giggle !! Let's be honest its has been Autumn from October to now 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, beefy201 said:

The winter is over comments do make me giggle !! Let's be honest its has been Autumn from October to now 

Thats true...What Winter is over?

Most of us never had a winter, unless you call a few frosts a winter? I think that the Dec-Feb CET figures will confirm this ever warming trend.

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, snowray said:

Thats true...What Winter is over?

Most of us never had a winter, unless you call a few frosts a winter? I think that the Dec-Feb CET figures will confirm this ever warming trend.

What happened to "SSW" and late Feb / Early Mar freeze prospects?

Edited by Weather_Novice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, Weather_Novice said:

What happened to "SSW" and late Feb / Early Mar freeze prospects?

no doubt gone tits up

• Like 1