Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

No surprise they got it wrong considering they forecast the ENTIRE PLANET to be above average!!

Apart from Mongolia, i'm moving to Mongolia!!

Cant believe i woke up to drizzle, upper air around -9hpa with an easterly and living in the west, i give up

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Incredibly frustrating for sure. To have a winter with such little zonal influence compared to the norm, and STILL end up with nothing out of it is quite funny. The current 'cold spell' just about sums it up for everybody I think. 850s of -10, sub 528 dam, easterly wind, yet its still raining in many places. I know it's not as simple as what I've just detailed, but it's still a joke. We did better here out of the recent stagnant area of high pressure with much higher 850s - hard frosts, sunny days and even an ice day by the end.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Incredibly frustrating for sure. To have a winter with such little zonal influence compared to the norm, and STILL end up with nothing out of it is quite funny. The current 'cold spell' just about sums it up for everybody I think. 850s of -10, sub 528 dam, easterly wind, yet its still raining in many places. I know it's not as simple as what I've just detailed, but it's still a joke. We did better here out of the recent stagnant area of high pressure with much higher 850s - hard frosts, sunny days and even an ice day by the end.

Agree. I honestly thought that we'd see a decent snowy spell or two this winter but we have been incredibly unlucky really. Best background signals for some years and I can't remember a winter with so little Atlantic activity and so much high pressure near us. I've very much enjoyed all the many cold sunny days and frosty nights. Still a few weeks to go yet where we could see something interesting and fun, however my interest in wintry weather is now starting to fade as Spring draws closer. This overcast, drizzly 2C vileness is not doing anyone any favours. The phrase "I'm over it" comes to mind and quite honestly, I'm bored.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted

I ordered some extra coal on the basis of the forecasts issuing a few days ago. Seems I needn't have bothered. 

As far as I am concerned roll on some nice warm weather so I can get outside and do something useful. As far as the sad cases wanting cold weather for months to come I say two words. One of which is off. 

• Like 5

Posted

At least I have seen a snowflake this year, all be it a grainy tiny one or two.  Looks like its full steam ahead to spring after this weekends tepid attempt at winter.

If we actually ever get a proper 1980s easterly again one day I dont think anyone under the age of 30 would be able to cope with it lol

• Like 1

Posted

1oC and drizzling from an easterly. I'd rather have a mild SW'ly. At least then I'd be warm and wet rather than cold and wet.

Bring on Spring

• Like 4

Posted

One good thing I found a £5 note this morning, which if we had 6 inches of lying snow I would not have seen.  :):)

• Like 6

Posted
17 minutes ago, Nath said:

One good thing I found a £5 note this morning, which if we had 6 inches of lying snow I would not have seen.  :):)

There's nothing more satisying than putting on an old jacket and finding a fiver in it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

There's nothing more satisying than putting on an old jacket and finding a fiver in it.

Unless it's £20 in it 

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I have one snow shovel for sale..unused.

Does it still work?lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I think the models have been magnificent at times this winter, providing some of the best eye-candy I've seen in years!

Just a shame about the weather....

• Like 3

Posted

Roll on the deep solar minima to shake things up.

My forecast for spring n summer is a big greeny high and a southerly tracking jet lol.

Come October,pv sniffing around greeny again.

Probably as correct forecast as you're going to get lol.

I'm off

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

A winter where none of the usual 'driving' factors have been much use in making long term forecasts.

Here in the SE of England we have had some prolonged cold spells and one decent snow event so far.

I can certainly remember worse in terms of lack of cold.

Long term models, keen amateurs  here at NW all foxed.

What was a little sad in recent days was to see the likes of Matt Hugo ranted at because his tweet didn't mention a Greeny block around the 17th of february, certain members sure that 'signals' they were seeing proved his tweet wrong!

We now have a tweet thread because 'they are too brief and hard to understand',imo that has only ever been the case when certain  folk see a tweet that writes off cold chances.

Proff  Met imput from the likes of the departed Ian F is fantastic, not always populer if it goes against what the so called forum heavyweights are thinking it seems though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I don't think his forecasts  have been that great to be honest. He originally went for a very mild and wet November then modify it to being cooler but was still nearly 1.5C out. December was far drier than predicted and predictions of the Atlantic dominating the rest of winter in early January have proven incorrect. 

Yes i did point that out but his theme of no prolonged cold or much snow has been correct, which would save people a lot of hassle in the MOD thread. He said the setup in the atmosphere globally, does not favour a snowy winter and he explained why, well. His Atlantic dominated winter was way off the mark though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers

I need a moan.........   I'm so disappointed like so many of

us, I was genuinely excited, planning a weekend walk in the snow, maybe a snow day off work ( ???)  blah blah  This morning, like a child, I was cheered by the snowflake crystal image on my phone, 10 mins later it changed to the rain symbol, nooooo:angry:

No one said rain a week ago, I nearly cried, however I have driven to work in very light snow which is still falling now and weekend forecast is for more so i'm going to enjoy it for how ever many hours we have and tell myself it's better than none at all.

What else can we do?  So everyone who gets some, 1cm or 5cm lets revel in it!  Sorry for those of us who have none at all, including myself if it doesn't materialise

• Like 1

Posted

I don't know where you are all getting this drizzle from. My phone says '-31, blowing snow conditions with a wind chill of -46.' A proper cold spell.

Yes folks, throughout this miserable, disappointing winter I have been living vicariously through the weather of Iqaluit as a way of tapping into my need for cold and snow. One can but dream.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

I have one snow shovel for sale..unused.

Doubt you could even give that sucker away...unless you're offering to sell it to Greece...charge some high postage on it and console yourself with the profit you'll make.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Anyone in any doubt about how poor a winter snow wise it has been, consider this.

The Greek Islands have had more snow than us. 

Benidorm has had more snow than us.

Even the Sahara Desert has had more snow than us.

See you next time folks...I'm done. This failed weak a$$ easterly is the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
18 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Anyone in any doubt about how poor a winter snow wise it has been, consider this.

See you next time folks...I'm done. This failed weak a$$ easterly is the straw that broke the camel's back.

We should get some snow..drops and daffodils next week!:whistling:and I'm sure Sidney will be happy too

th (1).jpg

da600d76fe14a19ef5e4ce7e7eb87426.jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Next winter is the one i can smell it in the air it has to, the only weather tool that i trust & 100% guarantees cold & snow is solar minimum which we are set for the next 2 years at least.

I'm more than happy to let this one go myself the longer you hold on to missed fortunes the more depressed yea get with this winter its the worst of a series of bad winters, i rank it worst than last year and never thought that was possible.

Edited by booferking
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

Next winter is the one i can smell it in the air it has to, the only weather tool that i trust & 100% guarantees cold & snow is solar minimum which we are set for the next 2 years at least.

I'm more than happy to let this one go myself the longer you hold on to missed fortunes the more depressed yea get with this winter its the worst of a series of bad winters, i rank it worst than last year and never thought that was possible.

Agreed, it's worse than last winter..nothing has happened, it's been the biggest bore fest imaginable!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Timmytour said:

I think the models have been magnificent at times this winter, providing some of the best eye-candy I've seen in years!

Just a shame about the weather....

Indeed it has been a classic winter at T240, rivalling 1963!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
1 hour ago, Interitus said:

Woah, a vacuum with negative pressure! Scary stuff!

Indeed! People are imploding in the street, its total chaos!!! Plus its still drizzling too, its the end i tell ya, the end!!

Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 1