Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 minute ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Believe me, most who hanker after a repeat of '62/'63 would regret it should it happen again.  I was there!

Back in those days most homes were heated by open coal fires, if you lost your power you could still keep warm. These days  most homes rely on central heating,no electricity = no pumps or power to fire it up . There would be a lot of very cold people about.  One  of the reasons why  we have a wood burner and open fire, there's no way that I'm going to rely on that bunch of spivs at the Gas companies, or Mr Putin  to keep me warm.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
7 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Believe me, most who hanker after a repeat of '62/'63 would regret it should it happen again.  I was there!

Nah! not me.... Bosch & Worcester is the new thing.....Coal bunkers are a little outdated now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters. Cool wet summers.

I was there too, and it was wonderful. My job was to keep the open fires going day and night. We built an igloo that lasted for weeks. Thick ice on the inside of the windows in the morning, Out on the sledge most days. Not nostalgia; I simply love cold weather! Bring on the easterly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
1 minute ago, kelal said:

I was there too, and it was wonderful. My job was to keep the open fires going day and night. We built an igloo that lasted for weeks. Thick ice on the inside of the windows in the morning, Out on the sledge most days. Not nostalgia; I simply love cold weather! Bring on the easterly.

Ice on the inside of our old metal framed single glazed windows now there's a memory I'll never forget.

Watching patterns and shapes in the ice whilst slowly peeling the net curtains off the frozen glass.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
6 minutes ago, kelal said:

Don't get me wrong , I  still  love it myself, I  do think though that a great percentage of the population wouldn't know what had hit them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
6 hours ago, KTtom said:

Perhaps they feel drawn in to balance out the ridiculous over hyped comentry that comes out with every run...Ramping isn't the word....IF is see the word 'boom' again for a slack easterly Flow!,...arghhhhhhhh

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEGAMEGAMEGAFREEZINGSUPERCOLDILICIOUS! zomg we're gonna die of cold and there will be 20 feet high drifts of snow and polar bears will cross the frozen thames and maul the citizens of London!!!!!!!!! 8 week Siberian freeze coming and in other news immigrants cause cancer (Express headline).

Sorry, couldn't help myself. What is even more amusing is how UK cold spells even when they do eventuate are actually very tame. Meanwhile 1500km to the east the ground has been frozen with snow cover for over a month and on the slow moving parts of the River Vistula you can stand on the ice, yet this is a pretty normal winter. In the UK if that happened it would be considered one of the great historic winters. All about perspective I guess.

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:
31 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

So was I. To this day I remember trudging to school (in Devon) and I think the best way I can explain it now is that it totally blew my mind and there was also the absolutely breathtaking beauty of it. I know all about the bad bits, I have osteopenia which has caused a few broken bones on falling over the past few years. I also have to do a fair bit of driving for my work, BUT I still want snow! It would be challenging, but exciting!

• Like 3

Posted

just seen the bbc weather forecast and for the end of the comming week it is due to get chilly, no mention of anything cold, lets hope that changes soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

I still see risk of frontal snowfall somewhere in the mix with the projected synoptic pattern, we shall see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

LOL I really had to chuckle, done this so many times... Clicked on a model thread I thought was the latest and it was from the 24th Jan

Looks like a two week spell of mediocre winter weather for the UK, probably not a raging Atlantic storm fest but something in between.

Looks like we coldies got trolled by ECM yet again.

I was like ffs not again, and I was looking forward to next week, then realised I was some weeks behind :D

Posted

So when does it all go boobies up? 

screen-shot-2016-03-21-at-4-39-37-pm.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
2 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

So when does it all go boobies up? 

screen-shot-2016-03-21-at-4-39-37-pm.png

:air_kiss::give_rose:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
3 hours ago, Seasonality said:

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEGAMEGAMEGAFREEZINGSUPERCOLDILICIOUS! zomg we're gonna die of cold and there will be 20 feet high drifts of snow and polar bears will cross the frozen thames and maul the citizens of London!!!!!!!!! 8 week Siberian freeze coming and in other news immigrants cause cancer (Express headline).

Sorry, couldn't help myself. What is even more amusing is how UK cold spells even when they do eventuate are actually very tame. Meanwhile 1500km to the east the ground has been frozen with snow cover for over a month and on the slow moving parts of the River Vistula you can stand on the ice, yet this is a pretty normal winter. In the UK if that happened it would be considered one of the great historic winters. All about perspective I guess.

Pretty normal and pretty routine then that is something  you don't often say about the u.k weather at least that's what makes it interesting . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Most be true now :D

Screenshot_20170205-183650.png

Posted
21 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

Pretty normal and pretty routine then that is something  you don't often say about the u.k weather at least that's what makes it interesting . 

You've completely lost me there I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
21 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

well, there it is, wrist slashing on the mod thread, all going wrong, off to the shed to put the snow shovel and sledge away till next year, haha

Its like it ever time lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

One run from one model and the toys are flying, sigh....

• Like 2

Posted

I see that the knee-jerk reactions have been turned up to 100 by some members in the model output thread.

What a surprise.

I'm sure some of them are just trolling for a reaction too.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

One run from one model and the toys are flying, sigh....

Ha ha. Why do people never learn?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Buzz said:

I see that the knee-jerk reactions have been turned up to 100 by some members in the model output thread.

What a surprise.

I'm sure some of them are just trolling for a reaction too.

Of course they are. There are some posters, your lovers of far FI mean charts and such whose sole contribution is getting a reaction.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
17 minutes ago, Tony Beets said:

So many kock jockeys moaning/ trolling in the mod thread tonight!! The block button is going to go in to overdrive!

Isn't that rather cruel, sitting on a poor chicken and riding it round a field !!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm having flashbacks to the second halves of Feb 09 and 12. As much as we dislike the Euro tonight, it's not exactly way out there.

• Like 1

Posted
On 04/02/2017 at 15:14, summer blizzard said:

CFS is wrong more often than not so i'd not worry too much about another SSW. The vortex looks like recovering as we head into mid-late Feb in the upper stratosphere. 

Only just got round to replying but yeah I'm not too worried, just was a 'would be typical' type comment. Though actually, if there were cold spells/snaps in March of the sunnier variety with falls of snow here I'd take them, but wouldn't be quite so keen on March 2013 with very little snow but a lot of cold grey weather locally.

Then again easterlies or northern blocking could bring a warm flow off the continent with some synoptics the later into Spring it gets.

20 hours ago, cheese said:

Cold spring in 2013 led to the warmest summer since 2006.. warm spring in 2007 led to.. well, the less said the better.

Indeed, if it led to a good summer I'd take it, but then there's also examples to the contrary (could be a mediocre spring and summer)