Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/storms-to-batter-uk-with-wind-and-rain-from-late-january-into-february/70000661

Has
this been linked to already? Apologies if it has. Big call from accuweather - basically writing all of February off as a wind and rainfest, with a few named storms. I haven't seen anyone else go for this prediction! :cc_confused: A tad premature you'd think with the impending SSW and the chaos that may bring?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/storms-to-batter-uk-with-wind-and-rain-from-late-january-into-february/70000661

Has
this been linked to already? Apologies if it has. Big call from accuweather - basically writing all of February off as a wind and rainfest, with a few named storms. I haven't seen anyone else go for this prediction! :cc_confused: A tad premature you'd think with the impending SSW and the chaos that may bring?

I think their December forecast was the same - they were going for rain and wind.

I think they're taking lessons from some people on here. Say it enough times and it will be proven correct eventually.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

What is interesting is we have now been in a blocked pattern pretty much since the end of November, with subtle changes in the air flow determining our surface weather. Generally and unfortunately, heights have sat too far South or limping around between Azores and Europe.

It just hasn't fallen into place to allow many people to see snow so far. However here in the W country we have certainly seen many more frosty & icy nights this season...I think it was last year I could count the number of frosts on one hand? I also think in general many regions have experienced a much drier than normal winter season so far, as well. I personally find it boring, but each to their own and understandably at least there aren't floods!

My question is just how long this blocking can last? Surely eventually we will see a period of a stronger, zonal jet. It seems to get pushed back a tad day by day, and I am just hoping we don't end up with a wetter and cooler Spring/Summer...

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Ice day tomorrow, according to the BBC.

9fe255a358cf4b41bdd203c444477961.png

I noticed this, could be the first one since Jan 2013 in many places.

Only problem is its not forecast to drop below freezing untill 1am here so we could have an unfortunate case of midnight tonight being the warmest temp :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
52 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

6546464.png

In other words, ignore those who claim to 'know' what's going to happen for the next month.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I never really trust ECM, looks wrong again badly on yesterdays 12Z, GFS looks closer

cheese, yes, bitterest feeling day in ages tomorrow, sleet/snow grains/ ice pellets possible

3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Has

Sounds lovely anything is better the the boring crud with had in last week 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Judging from all the activity in here and in the MAD thread, yesterday's hints towards impending Snowmageddon were a wee bit premature?:D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

WARNING OF A SNOW RAMP....A snow grain is likely to affect parts of the SE tomorrow....meanwhile a weather spokesman has reassured the great public of the home counties that travel disruption seems unlikely at this stage but will monitor the snow grain situation. The local education authorities have warned children not to make a snow grain ball just in case the intended target cannot see it coming. The SOUTHEAST snow preservation society are getting excited about this rare event and have issued all members with magnifying glasses and torches to find the exclusive snow grain. Finally, rest assured the media weather presenter ( with a smile on his face ) says , " The snow grain will not last longr as you will be all pleased that milder conditions will soon take over ".....

C

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
5 minutes ago, carinthian said:

WARNING OF A SNOW RAMP....A snow grain is likely to affect parts of the SE tomorrow....meanwhile a weather spokesman has reassured the great public of the home counties that travel disruption seems unlikely at this stage but will monitor the snow grain situation. The local education authorities have warned children not to make a snow grain ball just in case the intended target cannot see it coming. The SOUTHEAST snow preservation society are getting excited about this rare event and have issued all members with magnifying glasses and torches to find the exclusive snow grain. Finally, rest assured the media weather presenter ( with a smile on his face ) says , " The snow grain will not last longr as you will be all pleased that milder conditions will soon take over ".....

C

When will the mass panic set in?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
5 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

When will the mass panic set in?

Southern Rail have cancelled all train journeys throughout the SE tomorrow as the snow grain is of the worst kind of snow !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well I think it has been quite a good colder spell over the last couple of weeks. All the lakes here are completely frozen over by a good 3 inches of ice. I can't do any work on the allotment as the top couple of inches of soil is also frozen solid. We've had hard frosts, freezing fog and loads of sunshine. No gales too. A week or two of Atlantic weather isn't the end of the world and we have February to get through yet which is often our coldest, snowiest month. We shall see...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Well I think it has been quite a good colder spell over the last couple of weeks. All the lakes here are completely frozen over by a good 3 inches of ice. I can't do any work on the allotment as the top couple of inches of soil is also frozen solid. We've had hard frosts, freezing fog and loads of sunshine. No gales too. A week or two of Atlantic weather isn't the end of the world and we have February to get through yet which is often our coldest, snowiest month. We shall see...

The problem is that the Atlantic weather is arriving just in time for February, and we know that when it gets in (with a strong Atlantic jet), it can hang around like a bad smell. Last thing we need is an Atlantic wasted February and an easterly wasted March. I'm hoping for a Feb 2006 style of Atlantic spell where Tm air only lasted a day or two then it was Pm all the way until the jet dived so far south that easterlies came in over the top and led to the late Feb-early Mar cold spell. That, three weeks earlier, would be ideal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's snowed in the States. It's snowed in Spain. It's snowed in Greece. And what do we get here in Blighty? Freezing sodding drizzle!:wallbash:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Ed Stone said:

It's snowed in the States. It's snowed in Spain. It's snowed in Greece. And what do we get here in Blighty? Freezing sodding drizzle!:wallbash:

I have said before think it will snow anyway but here. Cold enough for snow last few weeks nothing  Then little bit warmer no problem with the persipication coming then.:wallbash:

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

You forgot to mention it snowed in the Sahara desert, a whole whopping meter of snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
18 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

You forgot to mention it snowed in the Sahara desert, a whole whopping meter of snow

Yes it did, there was a fair bit of snow around in North Africa, not just on the Atlas mountains. I really thought that we surely could not go three snowless years but had a feeling that we might get the cold but not the snow. I guess the wet snow event the other week was better than nothing but but it was very much the scraps from the Winter table, to have missed out on the Easterlies that ended up effecting the Med was the most annoying part of this Winter.:nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
13 hours ago, Neilsouth said:

The mods are even deleting posts thanking other members for informative write ups, even related to the models! ( Wasn't a one liner either )

No wonder I stopped posting for over a year

I do lurk on the model thread on a daily basis, and you're absolutely correct in your assertion.

It's an informative thread, but thanks to the iron-handed moderation it is certainly the dreariest and po-faced.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

And just to add insult to injury the Atlantic is waking up angrily silenced and about to unleash torrents of rain for about a week one system after another. Oh don't bother looking at precipitation type it's gonna be windy and mild so RAIN RAIN bloody boring rain you can bet the models will be right that's a dead cert wen it comes to rain it always sodding does 

Edited by snowfish1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, snowfish1 said:

And just to add insult to injury the Atlantic is waking up angrily silenced and about to unleash torrents of rain for about a week one system after another. Oh don't bother looking at precipitation type it's gonna be windy and mild so RAIN RAIN bloody boring rain you can bet the models will be right that's a dead cert wen it comes to rain it always sodding does 

Could be a contender for wettest February on record, I expect flood warnings issued during early Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just out of interest, is the wettest February on record 1833?? Trevor Harley's site says 158.6mm.

A bit extreme to go for that outlook already!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Could be a contender for wettest February on record, I expect flood warnings issued during early Feb

I have seen many a winter and without doubt this will go down as the most disappointing just 1 day of falling snow and that produced a scarce dusting. now a February of Atlantic drive dross

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Just out of interest, is the wettest February on record 1833?? Trevor Harley's site says 158.6mm.

A bit extreme to go for that outlook already!

Yes. June 2012 was wetter than this by the way. 

Edited by Weather-history