Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Agreed, I can only think of 1988 as comparable for zilch happening, just the azores high/euro slug in dominating form for extended periods since October.

Hardly even a decent deep low crossing the UK to mix things up a bit!

How anyone can think what we have suffered this winter so far is better than raging zonal  is beyond me, at least then you could get cold shots from the North or North - West as Lows depart..

Each to their own of course.

• Like 2

Posted

I actually don't mind high pressure in winter but this dirty cloudy high we've had for 90% of winter is quite frankly depressing.

dunno if it's the same for other places in the U.K. but we've had constant murk, misty, dreary damp weather for what seems an eternity now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
7 hours ago, sunnijim said:

Agreed, I can only think of 1988 as comparable for zilch happening, just the azores high/euro slug in dominating form for extended periods since October.

How anyone can think what we have suffered this winter so far is better than raging zonal  is beyond me, at least then you could get cold shots from the North or North - West as Lows depart..

You obviously don't work outside.

Lack of cold (snowy) weather aside,i've loved this winter. Been able to get out and work in it most days.I'll need a holiday come spring lol:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
8 hours ago, sunnijim said:

Suffered? I don't think anyone in the UK has suffered in any true sense of the word. Perhaps been annoyed if they wanted cold snowy weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I have been through the GEFs and from T180 onwards there is not much to get excited about. There is one that goes for a decent Scandi high, so ill order that one please as the rest are not great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, sunnijim said:

Well I'm a dry weather fan, all year, cold/snow my favourite but nothing worse than Zonality generally, but it for me now may as well be zonal, I've had 2 days non stop rain, Radford Bank flooded again, 

Worst general setup for me is HP in charge and a NW'ly wind, that nearly always leads to non stop rain, even in summer, where everywhere else is dry even sunny

Posted

I can understand it's more comfortable outside (Sometimes,  it's 6C and drizzle this morning), but it's a bit puzzling to me if there's anyone who expects everyone on a weather forum to prefer all this nothing weather to something with a bit more life in it.

8 hours ago, Weathizard said:

I actually don't mind high pressure in winter but this dirty cloudy high we've had for 90% of winter is quite frankly depressing.

dunno if it's the same for other places in the U.K. but we've had constant murk, misty, dreary damp weather for what seems an eternity now.

Yeah, it's been like that here much of the time. I'm the same, in fact I like frosty and/or sunny highs. It's 'dirty' dull highs that are the problem (especially when even NW France will be getting severe frosts and loads of sunshine)
maxtemp.png

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 08:09, cornish snow said:

You obviously don't work outside.

Lack of cold (snowy) weather aside,i've loved this winter. Been able to get out and work in it most days.I'll need a holiday come spring lol:)

I don't, and I get your point.I love snow, however it puts me on the horns of a dilemma everytime  as a fall of snow would most likely lower or wipe out my income!

So I find myself hoping it falls on days when I'm not working ( a real joke in this country as in recent winters finding any snow is as rare as hen's teeth) so being picky really is a sign of weather madness as I 'chart watch'.

Something in my DNA that just loves extremes in the climate and not this benign winter we are having to put up with.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
10 hours ago, Weathizard said:

Looks, outside....tick

Looks at forecast for the week...tick

*raises hand*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

How depressing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633948

Edited by Spurry
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Spurry said:

Better than heavy rain!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful cold day here in W London, thankfully the cloud and rain of the last few days have cleared and we're now being influenced by continental air. Hope it stays like this, very pleasant.

• Like 1

Posted

have to agree with Staines bloke above. Is Crystal clear blue skies, beautiful and the temp is on the way down as the cold pool to our east gets stronger again.

To the people above whom say its boring, yes I like the odd wind farm/storm but I would happily place them far down the list compared to cold crisp sunny days think at some point the se will get its much maligned ice day. for what its worth the zonal transfer may not make it as far east as we suspect, or could be a battleground scenario with proper snow.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Plenty of boring weather on the way looking at GFS cloudy dull nothing happening. Boring is name of this winter so far.

Posted

Yes, but you guys in the SE are lucky, and cold/crisp sunny days is not what we're moaning at. Forecast here similar to that in Spurry's post, and already had several forecasts like that this winter.

Heh. Persistent drizzle whenever I went out today, and flatline 6-7C. The worst you can get really.

Did look like it might clear tonight/tomorrow, not now. 4C min and overcast. Surely we can get at least one sunny spells day or frost, when literally just across the channel gets severe frosts and blue skies every day for the next week? Well looking at the forecast, maybe not.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
15 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Yes, but you guys in the SE are lucky, and cold/crisp sunny days is not what we're moaning at. Forecast here similar to that in Spurry's post, and already had several forecasts like that this winter.

Heh. Persistent drizzle whenever I went out today, and flatline 6-7C. The worst you can get really.

Did look like it might clear tonight/tomorrow, not now. 4C min and overcast. Surely we can get at least one sunny spells day or frost, when literally just across the channel gets severe frosts and blue skies every day for the next week? Well looking at the forecast, maybe not.

I do feel your pain as cold and cloudy is just crap. Luckily for us in the SE, we are currently on the right side of the front straddling the UK. Hopefully the clear, cold continental air will push further N and E as it really has been a beauty of a day here. All depends on the movement of that annoying front, typically it sits over the UK for days on end.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I do feel your pain as cold and cloudy is just crap. Luckily for us in the SE, we are on the right side of the front straddling the UK. Hopefully the clear, cold continental air will push further N and E as it really has been a beauty of a day here. All depends on the movement of that annoying front, typically it sits over the UK for days on end.

Yeah, hopefully we can get some clearer air this far west, or the GFS is correct in it's few more widespread frosts later this weekend/early next week. I don't trust it though as it often under-estimates cloud in high pressure and the Met Office forecast for here doesn't agree

To me it really is like chalk and cheese concerning cloudy/dull and sunny highs.

• Like 1

Posted

Still on course with the pattern change with the ridge and invigorated vortex. Could well initiate some further influence from the Azores. Really warms the cockles.....

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.pnggefs_z500a_nh_65.png2017011712.f336.100.nonenonehghtnonenone.g201.mrf.gif

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2