Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

You just know we will get perfect winter charts once spring arrives ,seen it so many times recently ,another march 2013 would be fine,we got decent snow mid month even here on the coast ,don't bet against it

I'd love a repeat of March 2013 (can't believe that was our most recent proper Winter month and was actually a Spring month) but it was the coldest in half a century so I doubt we'll see the likes again anytime soon. It's my favourite March thus far though and I wouldn't mind it been like that every year. It also wiped the floor with many true Winter months as well which was amazing.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weathizard said:

Think this thread has more posts than the model thread ATM :rofl:  Things just won't fall into place for us this winter, very frustrating! It's like pulling teeth to get a cold spell to these shores at the best of times but this winter it's been horrendous

Just curious, but what do you like about a cold spell? I find them quite annoying. Ice in the streets. Walking at a snails pace because of snow. Outdoor activities limited...

Sure, I like to watch snow out of the window, but in real life, it kinda sucks.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Just curious, but what do you like about a cold spell? I find them quite annoying. Ice in the streets. Walking at a snails pace because of snow. Outdoor activities limited...

Sure, I like to watch snow out of the window, but in real life, it kinda sucks.

You make good points, snow laying and staying generally causes chaos but as I'm relatively young(b'1994) I've not seen many great snow falls and cold spells in my life so when they do come around they are special

Its just something about looking out the window and everywhere being snowy and white, my second favourite winter weather is clear and sunny but again that's been very limited this year, we've had so much dreary turgid cloudy highs where I am it's just dull!

Really I should hate the snow and ice as I broke my wrist in 2010 due to a fall on the solid ice! :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Weathizard said:

You make good points, snow laying and staying generally causes chaos but as I'm relatively young(b'1994) I've not seen many great snow falls and cold spells in my life so when they do come around they are special

Its just something about looking out the window and everywhere being snowy and white, my second favourite winter weather is clear and sunny but again that's been very limited this year, we've had so much dreary turgid cloudy highs where I am it's just dull!

Really I should hate the snow and ice as I broke my wrist in 2010 due to a fall on the solid ice! :wallbash:

Ah, I like snow myself. I just don't like dealing with the consequences of it. Always the same. Each winter I await the first cold spell and snow event and then when it doesn't go away, I await Spring :-)

Posted
1 hour ago, Weathizard said:

Think this thread has more posts than the model thread ATM :rofl:  Things just won't fall into place for us this winter, very frustrating! It's like pulling teeth to get a cold spell to these shores at the best of times but this winter it's been horrendous

I only really visit the forum section on Netweather in the winter.  I think I will call time this year as I am tired of staring at wintry scenarios on the screen and not seeing anything close in reality.  Thought there were real chances this year with what seemed like everything aligning (as opposed to a stray wintering bird that arrived early last winter).  Ho-hum!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Might be clutching at straws here , but I'm sure 1947 had a very mild spell up to around the 14th , and then it threw it's sucker punch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
6 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Might be clutching at straws here , but I'm sure 1947 had a very mild spell up to around the 14th , and then it threw it's sucker punch.

And come mid-February, people can start drawing analogies with March 2013:)

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the latest GEFS 10-15 anomaly it is quite close to the EPS of the came period with a ridge  NW America (the EPS is more pronounced) and the States generally cooling down, Could be MJO phase 2 forcing :shok: but looking unsettled for the UK

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.pnggefs_t850a_nh_61.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Wonder will people be more cautious next autumn , i know i will be. I will never trust any possible signs of a good winter during autumn again,long range models,snow advance index etc. etc. A load of old s**te. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, sundog said:

Wonder will people be more cautious next autumn , i know i will be. I will never trust any possible signs of a good winter during autumn again,long range models,snow advance index etc. etc. A load of old s**te. 

From what I've read, most of these signposts are for cold in Europe ... continental Europe ... it's certainly been cold over there. You would be right to be cautious, it is rare to get the feed needed to push it all the way here.

Posted
1 minute ago, Gael_Force said:

From what I've read, most of these signposts are for cold in Europe ... continental Europe ... it's certainly been cold over there. You would be right to be cautious, it is rare to get the feed needed to push it all the way here.

I suppose for europe the signs were not too far wrong,but really thought we had a good chance this winter. It all started going wrong for us during the first week of dec, we just cant seem to get much cold our way  no matter what happens.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
8 minutes ago, sundog said:

We'll be even more into the low solar forcing next winter so edging ever close to the 09/2010 analog ( as far as stage of the solar cycle?). It will all depend on how the Arctic holds up this summer as to whether we see a lot of moisture flooding over our freezing HP systems? (LOL)

I don't know how low solar does its northern blocking trick but it certainly worked last time we saw low solar!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Whether you agree that global warming is responsible for our climate or not ,I think you have to face up to the fact that our winters are always gonna be dominated by periods of wet/windy Atlantic weather and occasional colder spells with frosts and fog.

It's been this way for many years now , Yes I know that every now and then we get a snowy spell and sub zero temps by day but those days are rare. I have friends who live in West Sweden and I have been travelling there for almost 30 years both during summer and winter ,and their winters are getting progressively milder except for the far north which is pretty much snowbound and sub zero between Nov-March.

I love the snow and watch the forecasts avidly for signs of it arriving ,but unless it is shown on the models at +60-72 then i try not to get my hopes up.Right now I've already switched my focus to looking for signs of spring arriving in the med which is always a positive/mood changing time for me.

Edited by Spurry

Posted
19 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

We'll be even more into the low solar forcing next winter so edging ever close to the 09/2010 analog ( as far as stage of the solar cycle?). It will all depend on how the Arctic holds up this summer as to whether we see a lot of moisture flooding over our freezing HP systems? (LOL)

I don't know how low solar does its northern blocking trick but it certainly worked last time we saw low solar!!!

Yes a less active sun is what i would be pinning my hopes on over the next few winters,maybe its our only hope considering the way our winters seem to be going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, sundog said:

Yes a less active sun is what i would be pinning my hopes on over the next few winters,maybe its our only hope considering the way our winters seem to be going.

I see it as a period of change that is overlain by older paterns. Should we see cold easterlies set in and lower the land temps then any incursions of Atlantic moisture would bring us a real dump! If we saw precipitation levels we saw in the boxing day floods of 2015 we'd be under metres of snow!!!!

Bottom line is 'extreme' events are becoming more common and so its not just the Greek Islands that can see snow events!!! Before we settle into our med climate and take to growing champagne in the highlands of Scotland I'm sure we still have a few memorable dumpings to live through!!!

The next few winters of low solar will be a perfect opportunity to see some very extreme snow events! We put 70cms on the record floods levels of 2012 when we flooded last year so the dumpings we saw over 09/10 will deliver even more next time around!!! And this time the councils will be prepared ( surely!!!).:)

• Like 1

Posted

Two things (at least) worth noting vis the anomalies this evening is the good agreement between the three amigos in the 6-10 range and the noted pattern change later with the EPS showing the Canadian vortex back with a vengeance and ridging in NW America. So the name of the game is "unsettled zonal" with average temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Model output thread today.

iStock_000057942062_Large.jpggiphy.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Practically all winter we've had to put up with a very annoying scrolling thread whenever someone copies a post from Twitter .  Surely the problem can be dealt with? ??

• Like 1

The big freeze continues in vast areas of Europe. Many have died which is sad but always happens. I wonder if this will be the coldest winter for a generation. TV were showing blzzards in Venice!!!!!. Siberian cold due to hit Spain from on Wednesday with snow right down to the Mediterranean coast.

Edited by Tonyinhampshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

Is it just me or is the thought of an ssw in February something that others are dreading? Not only will we have had cool and boring winter with a pointless dusting of snow yet again. But a cool spring and early summer like last year! Must be getting old...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, snow mad said:

Is it just me or is the thought of an ssw in February something that others are dreading? Not only will we have had cool and boring winter with a pointless dusting of snow yet again. But a cool spring and early summer like last year! Must be getting old...

1st March for your diary------- cool drizzle on along stretch easterly lasting two Months

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Weathizard said:

Agreed, one of the most boring winters ever. The analogy can be compared to waking up with a wet lettuce in your face,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, January Snowstorm said:

Practically all winter we've had to put up with a very annoying scrolling thread whenever someone copies a post from Twitter .  Surely the problem can be dealt with? ??

We've? I haven't suffered with the issue at all, but then again, i'm using a modern browser. Laie_98.gif