Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Chances of heavy snow here in the SE tonight, snow showers for other areas, an annoying milder blip for Mon but then getting very cold next week. Looks ok to me at the moment? Best cold offerings for a few years.

Current BBC forecast highs of 3C today, tomorrow and Saturday, 8C on Sunday, 7C on Monday, then 5-6C for the extended forecast period. 

I'll be content if it's dry with frost and sunshine but I'll be very disappointed otherwise - and once again the proper cold appears to be around 10 days out. 

We've had better cold in recent years here - including an ice day in January 2015 - so admittedly I'm not very excited.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

Current BBC forecast highs of 3C today, tomorrow and Saturday, 8C on Sunday, 7C on Monday, then 5-6C for the extended forecast period. 

I'll be content if it's dry with frost and sunshine but I'll be very disappointed otherwise.

Similar figures for here being forecast in the short term, which on paper don't look cold at all really, have to agree. Next week looks very chilly though, I think the predicted max temperatures will be adjusted down. Could be some ice days later next week, we shall see.

Posted

Cold in the UK the past few years is like chasing a rainbow. Everyone goes into meltdown because models are showing epic cold 10 days out! Trouble is that cold seems to stay 10 days out. Telford will see some wet snow (it always gets it, the only thing I miss about the place!) we will see some rain and frost me thinks. Hoping solar minimum see's a 2010 style winter (or better still an '82!) in the coming years.

Posted

Very soggy and not particularly cold. Doubt any snow will settle here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, cheese said:

I'll be content if it's dry with frost and sunshine but I'll be very disappointed otherwise - and once again the proper cold appears to be around 10 days out. 

We've had better cold in recent years here - including an ice day in January 2015 - so admittedly I'm not very excited.

Agree but I'm not looking forward to Sunday/Monday, 2 days of non stop rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm very much enjoying the rain here. 17.8mm so far, perhaps an inch will fall by the time it has finished. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Got to agree. Listening to the radio at work would lead many to believe 'the day after tomorrow' is unfolding. It's standard weather for us here and not overly cold. I just hope the 10 day cold chase can produce some proper cold for us this winter. Had enough snow in January last year to build a snowman, can that happen again? 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

Got to agree. Listening to the radio at work would lead many to believe 'the day after tomorrow' is unfolding. It's standard weather for us here and not overly cold. I just hope the 10 day cold chase can produce some proper cold for us this winter. Had enough snow in January last year to build a snowman, can that happen again? 

Doubt it. Looks like we might see some snow this evening and tomorrow but not much more than 1-2cm. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Agree but I'm not looking forward to Sunday/Monday, 2 days of non stop rain

Agreed, looks horrible, only appeared yesterday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

Doubt it. Looks like we might see some snow this evening and tomorrow but not much more than 1-2cm. 

Oh I realise that I was thinking more towards late next week 'if' cold does set in properly

Posted

i am really not looking forward to this chilly 3 days, was hoping to see at least some snow, now its forecast to be heavy rain this afternoon, a very wet day on sunday, temps recovering well to 7/8c,  put sledge back in the shed for another year. lol.

RAIN RAIN and more RAIN, bring on the spring, lol

Edited by sparky1972
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice little surprise for many on the Eastern Flank of the UK in the early hours of the AM/dawn... short lived dusting for most I feel (even to low elevations) for many areas as the band of snow pushes down & quickly through from Northern Scotland right though NE Eng, Yorks, Lincs, E Mids, E Ang and the SE by rush hour.

Edited by Polar Low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

any crap winters day in the UK.  i really do despair now of seeing any even decent snow events as they seem to always be marginal and non events compared to years ago.  at least we used to have a few days of snow each winter and now we're lucky if we get even one.  i hate this counties climate.  wish i could emigrate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

GFS 12z was a pretty poor run in comparison to the 6z to be honest, I wonder if my thoughts of just an HP and just surface cold might come to fruition. Actually remember Bluearmy mention when the first ECM run showed heights rising towards Scandinavia and then a formation of an easterly (which I wasn't buying) say that the probable outcome would be heights near the UK (or near to the east).

Will be interesting to see the eventual placement of the high pressure mid next week after all the 'flaffing' about by the GFS and particularly the ECM.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

GEM is the best model IMO, shows a lovely big area of high pressure for the UK. None of this chasing easterlies in FI nonsense.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, cheese said:

GEM is the best model IMO, shows a lovely big area of high pressure for the UK. None of this chasing easterlies in FI nonsense.

Yes, and miles better than rain, think GEM might be close with that

Posted

Must admit a few on the mod thread kid themselves on sometimes.

Bit of frost but snow for a selected few then milder couple of days before back to chasing deep cold at day 10 lol.

Yes it will get colder again tues onwards but nothing wow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
37 minutes ago, snow freak said:

any crap winters day in the UK.  i really do despair now of seeing any even decent snow events as they seem to always be marginal and non events compared to years ago.  at least we used to have a few days of snow each winter and now we're lucky if we get even one.  i hate this counties climate.  wish i could emigrate.

Did we? i remember the bleak snow free years of 1997-2009..they were shocking and the very mild snow less winters 1988-91..its not unusual for the UK to go 4 or 5 winters with no snow...and never has been..anyway if there was lots of snow each year like here in Canada you soon get bored of it as it becomes the norm.

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Did we? i remember the bleak snow free years of 1997-2009..they were shocking and the very mild snow less winters 1988-91..its not unusual for the UK to go 4 or 5 winters with no snow...and never has been..anyway if there was lots of snow each year like here in Canada you soon get bored of it as it becomes the norm.

Not that much snow during those years but they weren't snow-free. Definitely some significant snowfalls for many places. I remember a few in Leeds. 2005 stands out with an easterly in February and March with several inches of snow. If that easterly occurred a little earlier in the year (like late Jan or early Feb) then it would have been even colder and snowier.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

If I read 1 more "I didn`t buy the Easterly" I could get banned.

Posted

Manchester looked in great shape for some snow and had done for days. Cross model support, everything needed for snow looked good.... from temps and dew points to multiple PPN opportunities. 

This shown up way in advance, more so than most areas outside the north west, and it didn't slip once, each run for the last 5 days looked pretty good.

On the day, cold heavy rain early on when it was too warm and a bit of sleet this afternoon. Now it's probably cold enough, the PPN has vanished, yet the ground too wet to make any Irish Sea streamer give us even a dusting to make things look nice and white.

Now it looks like the sign of decent cold next week is slipping away and we'll be back chasing that cold that's always a week away and never materialises. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What a pathetic attempt at an easterly - grey and cold - this however is the scenario with most winter easterlies. ECM leads us up the garden path - GFS more pragmatic - what will it take to get some 80's style winters in the bag ! 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Jonathan Evans said:

What a pathetic attempt at an easterly - grey and cold - this however is the scenario with most winter easterlies. ECM leads us up the garden path - GFS more pragmatic - what will it take to get some 80's style winters in the bag ! 

A time machine?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Yeah disappointed with today's model runs with the trend to move the high pressure closer to the UK. I like fog and frost and the pattern offers plenty, but I've seen a fair bit already and I'm really after a decent snowfall now!!

Disappointing to see the models move away from the stronger and colder easterly option, especially the ECM.