Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy in Winter, Cold and Wet in Summer

God I'm glad we have a moaning thread.

I love snow, I mean I adore it, am fascinated by it and if it was feasible would put myself in Siberia and leave myself there.

However, I have the worst luck when it comes to getting some.

I live in South East London. The Thames Streamer of 2009 which dumped enough snow on my locale to stop all buses and trains, meaning I wouldn't have been able to get to work, happened when I was travelling back from an area of Germany that usually has loads of snow (it had none). So not only did I miss the fun, I was travelling back from Stansted that evening, heavily delayed because of the weather.

My locale seems to be the only one that missed out in March 2013.

This weekends PM from the North West happens a few days before I head to Cumbria. The forecast for when i'm there is dry at the moment. But of course there are now possibilities of a blinkin easterly, which could well affect my locale, when i'm not there. Because i'll be in Cumbria, where they'd have had snow the week before I go!!!!!!!!!

I'm going mountain walking in the Cairngorms on the last weekend of January. If there isn't snow there/then, i'm making that move to Siberia.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
23 minutes ago, titchjuicy said:

God I'm glad we have a moaning thread.

I love snow, I mean I adore it, am fascinated by it and if it was feasible would put myself in Siberia and leave myself there.

However, I have the worst luck when it comes to getting some.

I live in South East London. The Thames Streamer of 2009 which dumped enough snow on my locale to stop all buses and trains, meaning I wouldn't have been able to get to work, happened when I was travelling back from an area of Germany that usually has loads of snow (it had none). So not only did I miss the fun, I was travelling back from Stansted that evening, heavily delayed because of the weather.

My locale seems to be the only one that missed out in March 2013.

This weekends PM from the North West happens a few days before I head to Cumbria. The forecast for when i'm there is dry at the moment. But of course there are now possibilities of a blinkin easterly, which could well affect my locale, when i'm not there. Because i'll be in Cumbria, where they'd have had snow the week before I go!!!!!!!!!

I'm going mountain walking in the Cairngorms on the last weekend of January. If there isn't snow there/then, i'm making that move to Siberia.

I have been to Siberia in summer, very nice (Baikal) I recommend the place on the south eastern shore near the hot springs, as the temperature is moderated by the lake water and never gets too extreme, plus you get to rest your chilly limbs in the nice hot water from underground. You have to like eating lots of dried fish though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

ECM 12z now throws out the sort of output which leaves your eyebrows halfway down the back of your head...

I can't remember many runs like that which have materialised in the absence of better consensus across the outputs though. I expect the GFS 18z to stick a finger or two up at it later.

But let's not allow that to deter us - cue the Benny Hill chase music!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
3 hours ago, Woollymummy said:

I have been to Siberia in summer, very nice (Baikal) I recommend the place on the south eastern shore near the hot springs, as the temperature is moderated by the lake water and never gets too extreme, plus you get to rest your chilly limbs in the nice hot water from underground. You have to like eating lots of dried fish though.

Lake Baikal looks incredible in the winter too:

lake_baikal_ice.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dramatic
3 hours ago, Woollymummy said:

Fascinating article about Baikal here if you need a break from weather.

http://www.volcanocafe.org/the-old-man-or-the-sea/

• Like 2

Posted

well there we have it, from an imby perspective, winter is nearly over, lol,  3 chilly days, rain on sunday according to the met office forecast, not much to cheer about, lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
25 minutes ago, V for Very Cold said:

must be a cold spell approaching.... model thread has 200+ members and one liners appearing from everywhere ! lol

But will it snow in Steeple Bumpstead at t+240? We must have the answers.

39 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

well there we have it, from an imby perspective, winter is nearly over, lol,  3 chilly days, rain on sunday according to the met office forecast, not much to cheer about, lol.

Is the met office on its own because apart from rain on Thursday, hardly any mention of cold days ahead in the South.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
41 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

Not sure why you're declaring winter is over based on their automated forecasts. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Not sure why you're declaring winter is over based on their automated forecasts. 

it was a little tongue, n cheek, but so far i have seen nothing wintry forecast for here, metoffice, theweatheroutlook, metcheck, all have us chilly but predominantly dry, albeit a little rain on sunday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Things are starting to get interesting for us in the south now. Id rather hedge my bets in the north this cold spell though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

Wish bbc would stop showing crap rain in the forecast I thought we were in for colder conditions so we should get snow.Why can't they just be bolder and stop faffing around the forecast everyone else is saying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
1 minute ago, Hammer50 said:

Wish bbc would stop showing crap rain in the forecast I thought we were in for colder conditions so we should get snow.Why can't they just be bolder and stop faffing around the forecast everyone else is saying snow.

It seems the bbc always plays things down slightly. I can understand that, id imagine they don't want to cause panic. In my view the bbc does a good job, the forecast is never so straight forward. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

'As I expected' seems to be cropping up a lot on the MOD thread. Does anyone else find this incredibly irritating? Makes the person saying it sound big-headed. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just to clarify, Madrid isn't looking sub zero by day. It's looking dry, often sunny with maxima of 5-10C and minima of 0 to -6C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Ho dear, just seen the latest projections for the next 10 days. Hampshire has no sub zero temps even at night. Just across the channel , Paris, Madrid due to get sub zero by day with snow due in France. 

Doubt that's correct, why would Paris get snow and ice days and not us? 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

Gentle warm zephyrs from the south west are beckoning. Oh lordy!

ecm_eps_t850a_5d_natl_11.png

You need to inject some sanity back into the MOD thread. It's like someone left 100 litres of paint in the ape pen at the zoo. 

• Like 2