Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, cheese said:

As you say yourself, I am a very knowledgeable person. I have nothing to discuss. I know everything already. 

download (2).jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 minutes ago, Hanny said:

Quite bizarre comments to be honest, as a 'Brit' I have always dressed correctly for the conditions - in fact I could confirm that there is approx 12,000 British Ladies and Gents that are currently correctly dressed for the weather in 'Europe' ......... I can also confirm that they all take the 'Queens Shilling' :hi:

I currently work in both Norway and Denmark (two parts of Scandinavia), I can confirm that there are far more deaths there than UK in the winter ......... how ever it is not due to the cold but depression due to the short days would you believe!! 

As the UK is a Temperate climate and it is not the 'norm' to have pre-longed snowing conditions, I think the average across the UK works out at approx 5-10 days as a mean average - I am not surprised that some people don't dress for the cold, but I think that those deaths that do happen in UK is not from being dressed outside but more that they can't afford to put on the heating or have an illness that is the main contributor to said death.

I suppose that another way of looking at it - if you were to move the people over from Yakutsk with their winter kit - they would probably die of heat stroke in winter on our little island !! :pardon:

I don't think they are "bizarre" comments at all but only the truth, if the truth is bizarre then?

And I really doubt that people in Scandinavia are actually all that depressed enough to give a higher Winter death count than the UK. There's been many surveys that shows they enjoy a good positive outlook on life higher than people in the UK. That is well known. If you can provide evidence on the contrary to mine then go ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't think they are "bizarre" comments at all but only the truth, if the truth is bizarre then?

And I really doubt that people in Scandinavia are actually all that depressed enough to give a higher Winter death count than the UK. There's been many surveys that shows they enjoy a good positive outlook on life higher than people in the UK. That is well known. If you can provide evidence on the contrary to mine then go ahead.

I think you need to put your 'lipstick' away sir, not spoiling for an argument, just basing a comment from actual experience.

It is well written/reported about depression due to short days or as some call it 'SAD' - have a search and you can see for your self.

Anyway, as stated, this was merely a question not an intention to evoke a heated debate etc. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

They do have higher suicide rates than the UK and higher antidepressant consumption, though there is no clear link between climate and these things. Length of day is probably more important, and many countries in central and Eastern Europe have rampant alcoholism and they tend to be more melancholic which contributes to their very high suicide rates.

But long, cold winters are obviously not desirable and people actively go out of their way to avoid them. Many Canadians for example go south for the winter. They are called 'snowbirds'. And many New Yorkers live in Florida.

Edited by cheese

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hanny said:

I think you need to put your 'lipstick' away sir, not spoiling for an argument, just basing a comment from actual experience.

It is well written/reported about depression due to short days or as some call it 'SAD' - have a search and you can see for your self.

Anyway, as stated, this was merely a question not an intention to evoke a heated debate etc. :D

Well I asked for facts and if you or anyone else cannot provide them then your argument doesn't stand

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters

By the look of it your out for a 'spoiler' - as stated previously - no argument here, you sir are the one that has made it clear to at least two forum posters that you are unhappy and have highlighted the word 'argument'.

How ever it is so easy these days to 'escalate' a situation/confrontation than it is to 'de-escalate' - thus I humbly back down to your better judgement and wish you a pleasant evening and buy your self a beer on me :hi:

Edited by Hanny

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hanny said:

By the look of it your out for a 'spoiler' - as stated previously - no argument here, you sir are the one that has made it clear to at least two forum posters that you are unhappy and have highlighted the word 'argument'.

How ever it is so easy these days to 'escalate' a situation/confrontation than it is to 'de-escalate' - thus I humbly back down to your better judgement and wish you a pleasant evening and buy your self a beer on me :hi:

If you are going to call someone's comments bizarre then most people would respond. So it's not me who was out for a spoiler.

Posted
16 minutes ago, cheese said:

They do have higher suicide rates than the UK and higher antidepressant consumption, though there is no clear link between climate and these things. Length of day is probably more important, and many countries in central and Eastern Europe have rampant alcoholism and they tend to be more melancholic which contributes to their very high suicide rates.

But long, cold winters are obviously not desirable and people actively go out of their way to avoid them. Many Canadians for example go south for the winter. They are called 'snowbirds'. And many New Yorkers live in Florida.

And many don't as it's a very populated city all year round. In any case most New Yorkers who move to Florida are elderly and/or rich with two homes (one in NYC and one in Florida). Most ordinary low to middle class young people in NYC don't run away from cold weather.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

And many don't as it's a very populated city all year round. In any case most New Yorkers who move to Florida are elderly and/or rich with two homes (one in NYC and one in Florida). Most ordinary low to middle class young people in NYC don't run away from cold weather.

Eh, not really. Most of the people leaving places like New York are usually not rich. One of the reasons they leave New York - alongside the climate - is that New York is very expensive and they can't afford it anymore. 

You get a lot of young people from NYC in Florida as well who want to spend all day living a party beach lifestyle. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have NYC's climate than Florida's which IMO is just horribly hot and stifling 90% of the time, but it's no secret that people don't really like cold and usually try to avoid it, and see snow as a bit of a pain. One thing I hear a lot is 'You don't have to shovel sunshine'.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Slack continental flow, long fetch, and very cold.

ECH1-240.GIF?09-0

What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Eh, not really. Most of the people leaving places like New York are usually not rich. One of the reasons they leave New York - alongside the climate - is that New York is very expensive and they can't afford it anymore.

Yeah, you are right...... the poor ones that do decide to move just move across into Pennsylvania or New Jersey where it's cheaper. But not Florida.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Guys, stop the bickering. This is supposed to be a thread about Model rants, raves and model banter. Lets leave it and get back on track.  We may see SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Slack continental flow, long fetch, and very cold.

ECH1-240.GIF?09-0

What could possibly go wrong?

Tomorrow am will be the usual fun and games when that is undoubtedly watered down  !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Can I post an ECM D10 chart?:)

Cant believe the models are still playing around with this Easterly scenario, :shok:mmmmm

We are back in expect the unexpected territory. Whats happened to TEITS, not looked on the model thread this PM?

ECM1-240-1.GIF

ECM0-240.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

SOZ just noticed chart already up there, although I would happily post it all day if it helped it in some magical way to verify.;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Something is brewing,getting a tad more interested now,next 72hr ish will be very shall we say a watchable period model wise!:)

Watching Aljazeera News, there are pictures of snow in vast areas of Europe including Italy, Greece, Turkey, France, Germany, Poland to mention just a few. Many people have died due to severe cold in Europe. fountains in Rome are frozen. One media source says that Britain has missed the cold and snow, for its usual gray cloudy skies and warm temperatures.

Which sums up this Winter up gain. local weather forecast suggesting more mild temps here with a cooler two day period later this Week. Ho dear, day 34, cool, fog , cloud , drizzle.

Winter almost over !!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
1 hour ago, Hanny said:

Quite bizarre comments to be honest, as a 'Brit' I have always dressed correctly for the conditions - in fact I could confirm that there is approx 12,000 British Ladies and Gents that are currently correctly dressed for the weather in 'Europe' ......... I can also confirm that they all take the 'Queens Shilling' :hi:

I currently work in both Norway and Denmark (two parts of Scandinavia), I can confirm that there are far more deaths there than UK in the winter ......... how ever it is not due to the cold but depression due to the short days would you believe!! 

As the UK is a Temperate climate and it is not the 'norm' to have pre-longed snowing conditions, I think the average across the UK works out at approx 5-10 days as a mean average - I am not surprised that some people don't dress for the cold, but I think that those deaths that do happen in UK is not from being dressed outside but more that they can't afford to put on the heating or have an illness that is the main contributor to said death.

I suppose that another way of looking at it - if you were to move the people over from Yakutsk with their winter kit - they would probably die of heat stroke in winter on our little island !! :pardon:

Hollow is talking about deaths from the cold. Nothing to do with Sad syndrome. That's the argument 

Posted

evening all, really struggling to get to excited about the chilly spell that is nearly upon us, from an IMBY perspective according to theweatheroutlook website, its a chilly day thurs/friday/saturday then temps recovering well and range between 9c and 12c from sunday for the next 8 days, still i guess its 3 chillier days than we got in the whole of last winter.