Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

6 hours ago, John Hodgson said:

What a stressful year waiting for some decent cold. I used to wait for the models to come out a few years ago, before we had those cold winters. I ended up getting so obsessed and annoyed that i had to pack it. I didn't go on netweather for about 2 years because my interest in weather fizzled slightly. I hope it doesn't get to that again. I like to think i understand how forecasting works a little more now. Back then i would have taken a chart at t384 as a definite!

Exactly. Why people put themselves through it . it would be easier to get a day trip to Europe. You could play in the snow all day then fly back to the warm, all in a day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Cos as lovely as it looks, it ain't the same abroad, I want my inch of snow here in my garden so that I can build my 10 inch snowman and throw a snowball or two, even if it only lasts for 24 hours..:D

Edited by snowray
  • Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

"Hey all" and "hey guys"..    NO!

Its hello!

And there is a massive difference between guys and girls...poxy Americanisms .!!!

Guys has become gender neutral in use by now. 

Posted
8 hours ago, cheese said:

Yeah, it's annoying. I mean, these places pretty much sell themselves on their weather - the fact that they are generally mild and free of cold in winter is a major draw to people from northern Europe who don't want to deal with lots of cloud/rain/snow. That kind of weather is definitely not appreciated there, and as you say their native fauna/flora won't be happy.

Send it up here, nobody comes to the UK for the weather anyway. 

Yeah they do. I know Scandinavians who live here because they hate how dark and cold it is at home! 

Posted

I found myself singing along with Sarah Vaughan whilst taking a bath this morning. But I kept substituting "Azores High" for "Black Magic". I know not why..........

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking forward to our 2 day winter!.......only country in the world that would happen:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

In spite of us being a very small Island in a big warm sea, AND the gulf stream of course, AND we should lower our expectations in lowland locations particularly in the Southern half.....BUT SURELY at our latitude we are due more than 2 days of Winter in 3 YEARS!:wallbash::angry:

• Like 1

Posted

Ironic really. Advising new forum members to ignore certain posters may be wrong but when a few posters apparently gleam their greatest pleasure in the disappointment of the vast majority on the website (90%?), in winter looking for cold. The act of magically finding and posting only charts devoid of proper seasonality, relevant or not to achieve that end and as above even mocking that disappointment as another cold spell potential downgrades. I'd suggest in the light of such the first misdemeanour has merit. Enjoying mild weather in winter I get, so clearly enjoying others bruised expectations is another matter - a puerile sport at best.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Ditch teleconnections and anomalies, I say! What's wrong with grebes, seagulls and rowan berries?:D

• Like 5

Posted

We just don't get the same weather patterns that we used to back in the day, look what popped up on my facebook page just now:

22462_1220341592224_2343823_n.jpg?oh=7a9

From 7 years ago today, snow was so deep in Middlesbrough. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Ok so this cold snap is going to deliver some snow for the North but down here it will just be a cold wind and the odd sleet shower as usual when a NW'ly is involved. I only get interested when there might be an Easterly but I think I have more chance of winning the lottery than the UK getting one of those!

I love snow but if we are not going to get that, it may as well be dry and mild. Cold and wet or cold and dry does nothing for me at all. At least with mild weather I don't have to worry about ice on the cycle paths!

Moan over, if you get some snow later this week, enjoy it :good:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
34 minutes ago, mcyates said:

We just don't get the same weather patterns that we used to back in the day, look what popped up on my facebook page just now:

22462_1220341592224_2343823_n.jpg?oh=7a9

From 7 years ago today, snow was so deep in Middlesbrough. 

January 2010, a good month for snow. IIRC the snow that winter lasted from around late December to the middle of January so a good few weeks. Then we had further snow in February and March.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, snowray said:

In spite of us being a very small Island in a big warm sea, AND the gulf stream of course, AND we should lower our expectations in lowland locations particularly in the Southern half.....BUT SURELY at our latitude we are due more than 2 days of Winter in 3 YEARS!:wallbash::angry:

Not in the age of the large teapot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
9 hours ago, March said:

Guys has become gender neutral in use by now. 

Not in Blighty it hasn't!:diablo:

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Ditch teleconnections and anomalies, I say! What's wrong with grebes, seagulls and rowan berries?:D

How about just paying more attention to operational output up to t+144? 

The unfortunate reality is that in recent winters guessing that "it's more likely to be mild and westerly than not" would be pretty accurate. 

What I find baffling is that even seasoned posters who's input we really enjoy seem unable to learn from recent experience. If one model starts to downgrade cold chances or doesn't accept it from the start it rarely seems to be totally wrong. And that's regardless of which model. 

19 hours ago, John Hodgson said:

What a stressful year waiting for some decent cold. I used to wait for the models to come out a few years ago, before we had those cold winters. I ended up getting so obsessed and annoyed that i had to pack it. I didn't go on netweather for about 2 years because my interest in weather fizzled slightly. I hope it doesn't get to that again. I like to think i understand how forecasting works a little more now. Back then i would have taken a chart at t384 as a definite!

There seems to be snow pics everywhere on Facebook from Europe to middle east, Asia, USA. Here in Hampshire day 28 . No wind, cloud, cool, fog. Today we have a change to rain, cool, cloud, fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

O.M.G 

The Met Office has issued a Yellow Snow warning for Cornwall for thur/fri:yahoo::yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

There seems to be snow pics everywhere on Facebook from Europe to middle east, Asia, USA. Here in Hampshire day 28 . No wind, cloud, cool, fog. Today we have a change to rain, cool, cloud, fog.

Yep another crap wet day here again. Unfortunately that's the norm for our part of the world. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
24 minutes ago, cornish snow said:

O.M.G 

The Met Office has issued a Yellow Snow warning for Cornwall for thur/fri:yahoo::yahoo:

not surprised, you are in a good location, my location is the least likely to see snow I would think, Welsh mountains are in the way

Posted
15 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yep another crap wet day here again. Unfortunately that's the norm for our part of the world. 

Sort of sums up the past few winters really!!....and also this winter..which yet again is a 'non-starter'...agreed we may have a couple of days of 'colder' weather coming up...but as Paul Hudson on BBC Look North weather just stated...this will be a 'very short lived affair'....so...enjoy our 3 day 'winter' folks...then back to the endless doom n gloom .....:nonono::wallbash:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, K9 said:

Sort of sums up the past few winters really!!....and also this winter..which yet again is a 'non-starter'...agreed we may have a couple of days of 'colder' weather coming up...but as Paul Hudson on BBC Look North weather just stated...this will be a 'very short lived affair'....so...enjoy our 3 day 'winter' folks...then back to the endless doom n gloom .....:nonono::wallbash:

We have been going through a cycle of warmer winters, even by UK standards. This winter has been very different to the 'norm' with many frosts and anticyclonic condtions but still not able to deliver snow. I'm certainly not writing off chances of cold and snow for the rest of this winter just yet. We need a bit of luck!

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

So the Greek Islands roast in Summer and now freeze in Winter - reckon I may need to seriously consider relocating if this is going to be a trend! We must be the unluckiest nation on the planet for getting cold and snow to our shores! :wallbash:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38554357

It feels like groundhog day when reading the model thread, will it, won't it, break down imminent, even though any cold hasn't even arrived (yet!) potential, potential, potential, disappearing / phantom Easterlies - arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! :crazy:

• Like 3