Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
43 minutes ago, Snowstalker said:

OMG!  I'm not the jealous type, but yeah those photos make me jealous :-(

Bet their native fauna a flora don't appreciate it much though..

Cracking pics , that sort of weather is  like rocking horse s....t  in this god forsaken  island:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Great photo's, need our snow fix it's just a shame we have to go to Southern Europe to get it. Usually you go to Southern Europe to get your Summer heat fix.

Really very hard not to get down about how unlucky we actually are. We may have the most undesirable top trump of being the only Northern Hemisphere Country  to go snowless this Winter. 

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Snowstalker said:

OMG!  I'm not the jealous type, but yeah those photos make me jealous :-(

Bet their native fauna a flora don't appreciate it much though..

Yeah, it's annoying. I mean, these places pretty much sell themselves on their weather - the fact that they are generally mild and free of cold in winter is a major draw to people from northern Europe who don't want to deal with lots of cloud/rain/snow. That kind of weather is definitely not appreciated there, and as you say their native fauna/flora won't be happy.

Send it up here, nobody comes to the UK for the weather anyway. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

Great photo's, need our snow fix it's just a shame we have to go to Southern Europe to get it. Usually you go to Southern Europe to get your Summer heat fix.

Really very hard not to get down about how unlucky we actually are. We may have the most undesirable top trump of being the only Northern Hemisphere Country  to go snowless this Winter. 

Depends. We had snow back in November - strictly speaking not winter but any snow that falls then will obviously be included in the season's total.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, SteveB said:

It's about managing expectations and being realistic, which means disappointment isn't so strong. Snow isn't 'normal' or a regular feature for winters in NW Europe generally, as we all should know but it seems that fact doesn't seem to register with many on here, unfortunately.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Stephen_Mcr said:

This 'cold snap' feels like it's going to go tits up in less than an hour.. 

yes, certainly looks cold on Thurs and Fri, winds too westerly for snow here, protected by Welsh mountains, northern and western areas to see a dumping though, through persistent showers from the Atlantic (Ireland) Irish sea NW England, before it turns milder from the west on Sat 14th

Posted

Thought I'd pop in to see what might be coming up.

A good northwesterly blast on the way then?

Should be excellent news for some...not so for others.

If we're lucky we can sometimes just about squeeze something out of a northwesterly here. The last few winters have given us fairly poor results from that kind of set up though.

But we're talking about the end of the week..and it's Sunday, so I'll get lost for now and come back closer to the time to see if there's any more detail.

Have a good week all!

Edited by Gord

Posted
32 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It's about managing expectations and being realistic, which means disappointment isn't so strong. Snow isn't 'normal' or a regular feature for winters in NW Europe generally, as we all should know but it seems that fact doesn't seem to register with many on here, unfortunately.

Yep, it's an unfortunate fact that we have less snow these day's.

Hopefully this will change over the coming years with the on-going affects of the solar grand minimum.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, Gord said:

Thought I'd pop in to see what might be coming up.

A good northwesterly blast on the way then?

Should be excellent news for some...not so for others.

If we're lucky we can sometimes just about squeeze something out of a northwesterly here. The last few winters have given us fairly poor results from that kind of set up though.

But we're talking about the end of the week..and it's Sunday, so I'll get lost for now and come back closer to the time to see if there's any more detail.

Have a good week all!

this chart though not great, showers will move through Stockport into Derbyshire, winds are too westerly, Stockport looking great sigh

ECM1-96.GIF?08-0

Posted
10 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Yep, it's an unfortunate fact that we have less snow these day's.

Hopefully this will change over the coming years with the on-going affects of the solar grand minimum.

If there's ever another ice age, the UK will be the safest place on earth, even above the tropics lol  (Alabama and Mississippi have had more snow than us this year)

Posted
3 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

If there's ever another ice age, the UK will be the safest place on earth, even above the tropics lol  (Alabama and Mississippi have had more snow than us this year)

Yep, people in Greece will be booking their Summer holiday's to the UK:nonono:

I have that sinking feeling again that come the morning we will be looking at all models aligning themselves  more towards the GFS, still a chance of snow for the North West and possible for the hills down here, but nothing to dramatic.

I think our cold will come March/April again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, well, the GFS has thrown a spanner in the works...So, today's big question is: Big Ted or Little Ted?:D

And, after another 7 hours' data assessment, Big Ted has stormed into the lead!:D

• Like 1

Posted

ECM looks good to me, not much snow but high pressure, so cold and frosty. Anything to keep the Atlantic at bay.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Countryfile weather forecast going for -13C in rural areas next weekend, brrrrr

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
8 minutes ago, Bolton67 said:

For the love of god 

cofidence is average.. why the OTT post ?

It's about time you people learnt to use the forum correctly. Firstly, how many times does it need to be said that these types of posts are not for the model thread?

Secondly, if your post isn't model related, use the '+' button to save the quote, then come over to to this thread, and hit the 'Quote 1' in the bottom right had corner of your browser, this will post the quote in to the edit box. It'll probably stop your reply from being removed, and it'll make me happier when i'm looking through the model discussion replies to not see these posts that are not relevant to the topic. 

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Countryfile weather forecast going for -13C in rural areas next weekend, brrrrr

Nice to see the chance of proper cold for the UK. Currently in Bulgaria and it's been a shock to the system compared to 7c at Newcastle Airport on Saturday. -20 this morning, the temperature did rise to -12 through the day but it's  already in free fall this evening. Couple of deaths today over here due to the cold. Two migrants sleeping in a forest apparently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

ROLL ROLL UP, get your tickets for the great GFS backtrack! Gates open at 9.30pm. Standing room only!!! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

It rarely snows widely to low levels in the UK. Probably a couple of big whiteouts every 7-10 winters on average. I for one live in hope, but will take cold, sunny and frosty over Winter 2015/16 any day of the week!

If I see a cm of snow in Coventry this winter I will be happy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

What a stressful year waiting for some decent cold. I used to wait for the models to come out a few years ago, before we had those cold winters. I ended up getting so obsessed and annoyed that i had to pack it. I didn't go on netweather for about 2 years because my interest in weather fizzled slightly. I hope it doesn't get to that again. I like to think i understand how forecasting works a little more now. Back then i would have taken a chart at t384 as a definite!