Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters

I previously lived in Germany for 10 years, had to work on Bosnian mountain tops (snow drifts were so bad one winter that even armoured track vehicles could not move) we couldn't land helicopters as they would sink into the 10ft snow, our generator exhausts had 1" long icicles hanging off them even though they were hot), also worked in the Desert when it was +30 in the day and -5 at night........from these experiences I have found the following experiences/observations:

• It is a different type of cold on the continent than in UK
  • British are not sep-up for continuous or extreme cold - why should they, it is not the 'norm' in the UK
  • UK does not allocate money for extreme weather (snow ploughs, heated car parks etc.) - this cost if they were to would be passed on to the public and then there would be an outcry of millions spent for 10days of snow every other year or worse
  • British mentality towards winter tyres is 'generally' poor with a view that its not worth the money and as a whole Brits think that winter tyres are only for snow (note there is a difference between snow and winter tyres)
  • No matter which country, if there are 'freak' extremes in the weather - then they ALL suffer the same issue of being caught out

HOW EVER, one thing that I do know is that the British people do have a certain trait/quality is that they look out for the venerable and in some places are willing to group together and help. There are a few older people who live on our estate and the wife and I always pop around to clear their paths or offer to take them down to the shops (have and Audi Allroad with winter tyres), in fact we have taken quite a few people to the shops as we live on a hill and when it snows it just ices up but councils won't grit it as its a private estate.

So in my experience, the British in some cases are able to adapt and will look after each other as we have all heard from the older generation who lived through the Blitz in WW2. I would say to all on here, if we do have a good cold spell, enjoy it but keep an eye out for the venerable and a quick 5mins clearing a path or just knocking on their door to see all is okay will go a long way to help those who may need it.

Lets all look forward to the cold/snow :yahoo:

Edited by Hanny
  • Like 7

Posted

18 hours ago, cheese said:

Yeah, definitely. I bet most people on here would get bored of a Montreal winter very quickly. They don't rush to the windows and look outside at lampposts to see if it's snowing. They think 'Oh God, it's starting..' or 'Goodbye grass, see you again in April next year'.

18 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

It's the fact that they can't just pop out to the shops, go for a walk, run or to the allotment, do a bit of gardening, play football  etc. Everything is done indoors or underground as it's just so cold outside. I'd feel trapped to be honest and it goes on for months. Probably sounds like heaven to most snow-starved souls on here though!

14 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

That's a very good point, it does seem a peculiarly British thing to dress completely inappropriately for the weather at hand, whatever the season. 

My point was more about the 'ease' of life that we take for granted here because temperatures are rarely extreme. For example, I went for a nice walk today, if it was -25C it wouldn't be pleasant however many furs and thermals I'd be wearing. I might be warm but every bit of skin would have to be covered. That's why in cities like Toronto there is a city underground mirroring the one above. I'm sure people in Yakutsk are not out for a Sunday stroll in -45C! Or maybe they are used to it?! 

I'm not too sure, I never tired of cold in December 2010 and went for several decent walks, or when I've been to Finland in winter. 

If I type for example 'Ottawa winter' into google images, you get a lot like this
canal_3_mg_0559.jpg 
Doesn't really look like people stuck indoors

The average high in Toronto is near 0C and about -5C in Ottawa/Montreal, yes you do get some weather where it is just unpleasant/horrible to be out in due to temps/wind chill, but we probably get at least as much taken up by damp drizzly or wet/windy weather, if not as 'dangerous'.

It may be a little less easy to just drive/go somewhere like we do on snow & ice free roads I guess, and we can sometimes go out with less preparation. Also probably more comfortable to amble along the street doing window shopping.. but then as you say they enable that with underground areas in some cities. No gardening, but I don't much in winter. No early daffs though.. but when everything bursts out in Spring it's beautiful.

I'd probably (can't be sure without trying it) be happy to give that up for the winters they get. Maybe that's just me. All a matter of opinion though :)

I'd guess my perfect climate may be a January average maxima near 0C and July maxima near 25C which is close to some areas around there.

23 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

You guys do realise you're on a weather forum, right? Is it then really that surprusing that some of us enjoy weather towards the extreme end of the scale?

That doesn't make us enjoy people dying anymore than car enthusiasts or window salesmen enjoy dogs dying in hot cars.

Do we have to have this conversation every sodding winter?

Yeah, I'm gunna want the odd extreme for interest and experience, makes recording the weather more interesting for one.

The worst is when people who like and wish for cold/snow 'wrongify' anyone wishing for a bit of active weather because it might cause a little disruption.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yes all a matter of personal opinion which is good, we can't all agree or we'd be robots, not human. For me, a temp of -2C to -4C and snow would completely suffice. I've experienced -25C a few times in other countries and despite being dressed appropriately I still found it horrible. But others would like those temperatures, fair enough. I'm a heat lover in summer and get grief on here wanting 30C. Think I'd like the UK to have a more continental climate but not overly so.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes all a matter of personal opinion which is good, we can't all agree or we'd be robots, not human. For me, a temp of -2C to -4C and snow would completely suffice. I've experienced -25C a few times in other countries and despite being dressed appropriately I still found it horrible. But others would like those temperatures, fair enough. I'm a heat lover in summer and get grief on here wanting 30C. Think I'd like the UK to have a more continental climate but not overly so.

Luckily out opinions don't influence the weather ;)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Would like to experience deep cold in our country but not for a prolonged period . At the same time seeing the Thames completely frozen over and able to walk across would be amazing. However it would cause be nightmares at work and I would not wish it on those vulnerable to the elements . If fate threw it our way I would try to enjoy it and I'm certain I would not forget . You only have to talk about 62,63 with people who experienced it and there eyes light up , even those not that interested in weather . My late Nan always talked about 1947 which was amazing to hear . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Luckily out opinions don't influence the weather ;)

Neither do weather charts at day 10 but try telling that to the mob! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
18 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Well put,i've been down to minus 22,no fun at all. We can't all agree and we are all different,all entitled to the weather we prefer,just a matter of personal preference. I'm a cold lover but not extreme cold,to many problems and issues involved with that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Well put,i've been down to minus 22,no fun at all. We can't all agree and we are all different,all entitled to the weather we prefer,just a matter of personal preference. I'm a cold lover but not extreme cold,to many problems and issues involved with that.

In your opinion... :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, well, the GFS has thrown a spanner in the works...So, today's big question is: Big Ted or Little Ted?:D

• Like 2

Posted

I love this site and I love cold weather,but having watched the outputs go from mainly good to terrible on so many occasions(well virtually every time to be honest)...I think I have finally given up hope of any form of cold that lasts more than 3 days...(and that's being positive) and confined the images of any decent past winters to my rapidly ageing memory banks...here's looking to next winter..enjoy folks!!..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Speaking as someone who earns their living by working outside, I can honestly say that  either cold , and dry , or warm and dry does me fine, it's the poxy incessant rain that does my head in. A continental climate would suit me down to the ground. .:)

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, well, the GFS has thrown a spanner in the works...So, today's big question is: Big Ted or Little Ted?:D

Not exactly unexpected. The lovely Azoroslug is killing off any chance of winter becoming wintry. just has it has done for almost a month now

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Don said:

I'm not getting excited yet!

Good choice, the GFS has throw a wobbly again and pushed the Azoroslug back in control

Posted
2 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Good choice, the GFS has throw a wobbly again and pushed the Azoroslug back in control

Aye. And as the Azoroslug has been a constant feature of this winter, so far, I can't see it buggering-off any time soon. At least, not without some kind of major disturbance?

• Like 1

Posted

I promised myself that I wouldn't, but I still managed to get sucked in to the latest cold snap hype. Alas, my BBC Weather app tells me Saturday will be the coldest it gets here, with an over night low of -1c and a daytime maximum of 4c.

Atleast the local wildlife will pull through.

5 hours ago, Spikey M said:

I promised myself that I wouldn't, but I still managed to get sucked in to the latest cold snap hype. Alas, my BBC Weather app tells me Saturday will be the coldest it gets here, with an over night low of -1c and a daytime maximum of 4c.

Atleast the local wildlife will pull through.

Sorry is that if it gets here?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye. And as the Azoroslug has been a constant feature of this winter, so far, I can't see it buggering-off any time soon. At least, not without some kind of major disturbance?

Don't worry it will bugger off early March allowing cool east winds in, just when the rest of Europe begins heatwave.

Edited by Tonyinhampshire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
16 hours ago, snowray said:

Indeed, heres a few pics from Southern Italy and Sicily, that I have already posted, propper dumping and more to come, anyone got anything from Greece? 

Hopefully it will be our turn later next week!

45910_1_1.jpg

45927_1_1.jpg

45927_1_4.jpg

OMG!  I'm not the jealous type, but yeah those photos make me jealous :-(

Bet their native fauna a flora don't appreciate it much though..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
12 minutes ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Don't worry it will bugger off early March allowing cool east winds in, just when the rest of Europe begins heatwave.

Let's hope so, I don't like heat waves. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, shotski said:

Let's hope so, I don't like heat waves. 

I don't mind genuine heatwaves so much, it's those pesky 2-3 day 'hot snaps' that annoy me; you never get a chance to acclimate.

BTW, I love those pics, snowray; I've never seen anything like it!:shok:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
28 minutes ago, Snowstalker said:

OMG!  I'm not the jealous type, but yeah those photos make me jealous :-(

Bet their native fauna a flora don't appreciate it much though..

The med is the ultimate snow machine, sea temps currently around 16c and upper air around -10c = a 26c temp difference and bucket loads of snow!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
9 hours ago, cheese said:

Yeah, and those homeless people probably wouldn't have died if it wasn't so cold. This is why a lot of homeless people in the US end up in places like Los Angeles or Miami, because it doesn't get cold in either place.

Cold is just a major nuisance for the most part and causes more problems than it solves. Why on earth would anyone want -20C? What can you do in those temps that you couldn't do in -2C?

Alot more than you can do in Antarctica. :wink: