Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Anyone want to hazard at a guess as to how this is all gonna bugger up?

There always seems to be a way the weather wriggles out of cold and snow this winter. 

Azoroslug FTW!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
9 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Anyone want to hazard at a guess as to how this is all gonna bugger up?

There always seems to be a way the weather wriggles out of cold and snow this winter. 

Azoroslug FTW!

Sure something will mess it up i am not far from you in Northamptonshire. Lol

Screenshot_20170107-230858.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

A short lived NWly and nothing more than a few coastal wintry showers South of Scotland is a worry, you know the good old wishbone effect for 24 hours and its all over. Hopefully it will be a lot better than that.;)

Posted
9 minutes ago, pegg24 said:

Sure something will mess it up i am not far from you in Northamptonshire. Lol

Screenshot_20170107-230858.png

I'll tell you exactly what will happen. The dew point and temps will be fine for snow. But the snow bands will part like the Red sea as they get near, before re merging after passing our region lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Like this...Oorrible!:(

gens-0-1-156.png

gens-0-0-180.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Just 3 words spring to mind about the Ecm 12z..Bring it on!:cold-emoji::D

P.S.. 3 more words..let it snow:)

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

144_thickuk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850.png

192_mslp850.png

192_mslp850uk.png

192_thickuk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

lol keeps a circle of milder uppers over me most of the time.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I'll tell you exactly what will happen. The dew point and temps will be fine for snow. But the snow bands will part like the Red sea as they get near, before re merging after passing our region lol

Snow shield will work its magic lol.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, pegg24 said:

Snow shield will work its magic lol.

Best news tonight is that ECM was not an outlier, some ensemble members in fact are looking even colder past day 10. Surely we must be due an easterly after all this time waiting...:rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Best news tonight is that ECM was not an outlier, some ensemble members in fact are looking even colder past day 10. Surely we must be due an easterly after all this time waiting...:rofl:

Let's hope we are so overdue a good dumping for everybody in the UK.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Peasedown St John (Just South of Bath) Somerset 150m asl
  • Location: Peasedown St John (Just South of Bath) Somerset 150m asl

:bomb:Is Steve Murr frosty in disguise ? Boom.

Edited by Eat Sleep Models Repeat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
10 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't think you have got the point - Scandinavia & eastern Europe are much better prepared for cold. Your article is selective as well. "Many of the deaths were homeless" Of course they will bloody suffer. Most of us though spend far less time outdoors so -20C should be no problem at all if you are healthy & wrapped up.

Yeah, and those homeless people probably wouldn't have died if it wasn't so cold. This is why a lot of homeless people in the US end up in places like Los Angeles or Miami, because it doesn't get cold in either place.

Cold is just a major nuisance for the most part and causes more problems than it solves. Why on earth would anyone want -20C? What can you do in those temps that you couldn't do in -2C?

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

I was wondering if it was going to be Spring before anything interesting was going to happen and I'd get involved in a discussion on here again. But looks like we've got a little mini episode of winter possibly on the cards?

So am I right in thinking we could get a short but potentially lively little cold snap at the end of the week?

Posted

The BBC have just included the cold snap in their Weather forecast for next week so it's looking good.

Edited by Spikey M

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Yeah, and those homeless people probably wouldn't have died if it wasn't so cold. This is why a lot of homeless people in the US end up in places like Los Angeles or Miami, because it doesn't get cold in either place.

Cold is just a major nuisance for the most part and causes more problems than it solves. Why on earth would anyone want -20C? What can you do in those temps that you couldn't do in -2C?

-20C freezes the waterways a lot faster for ice skating than -2 does but-20 really is very very very cold, even without much wind as we got here in February 2012

Edited by ArHu3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Agree minus 20c is a major problem that would effect the countries infrastructure,we are not equipped either materially or psychologically to cope with that kind of temperature,nether is our wildlife. It's a bit like in the summer months when folk wish for 35c temps,why on earth would you want that when 25c is just about perfect?

Posted

You guys do realise you're on a weather forum, right? Is it then really that surprusing that some of us enjoy weather towards the extreme end of the scale?

That doesn't make us enjoy people dying anymore than car enthusiasts or window salesmen enjoy dogs dying in hot cars.

Do we have to have this conversation every sodding winter?

• Like 9

Posted

Talk about being unlucky we just like being stuck in the middle with USA 72 million people under weather warnings for snow https://t.co/3uzqEN9p1m  .and this temperature in Russia https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1gwSCpXgAEzjqH.jpg

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
13 minutes ago, markyo said:

Agree minus 20c is a major problem that would effect the countries infrastructure,we are not equipped either materially or psychologically to cope with that kind of temperature,nether is our wildlife. It's a bit like in the summer months when folk wish for 35c temps,why on earth would you want that when 25c is just about perfect?

Not sure I agree. Ok we have double glazing not triple, but good central heating and fires in most houses, -20 will be easier to keep warm than 3c and cold rain, because it's dry cold rather than wet cold.  Then I suppose the fact we don't have winter tyres may be a problem, depends if you drive a 4x4 I suppose and how much snow is about but if it's dry air then again it may not be a massive problem. And yes ok elderly will struggle but that's the same in any country, unfortunately it gets the weak, but that's nature unfortunately. Wild life are creatures of instinct and all wild life struggles know matter what country your in, but in the main they cope well, and ones that don't either hibernate or migrate south!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Well i coped fine out here in the sticks at my location in -19c blizzards and drifts up to the windows for weeks in 09/10. Relied on just my open fire for 2 weeks as ran out of oil for the Arga, Just like old times.. I just make sure i have plenty of tins in!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
27 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

You guys do realise you're on a weather forum, right? Is it then really that surprusing that some of us enjoy weather towards the extreme end of the scale?

That doesn't make us enjoy people dying anymore than car enthusiasts or window salesmen enjoy dogs dying in hot cars.

Nothing wrong with that at all - but when people on here are being hysterical lambasting the UK's climate because it doesn't get very cold, I just want them to keep in mind that most people in Eastern Europe might be thinking the same thing about their climate, but lambasting theirs because of how cold it is.

Posted

According to recent report from the ONS the number of "excess deaths" last winter almost halved as it was so mild. The is no doubt that cold weather has a negative impact on the longevity of many frail and elderly such as myself.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Nobody said it didn't. My point, is you can enjoy cold weather without enjoying other peoples suffering.

Edited by Spikey M

Posted
18 minutes ago, knocker said:

According to recent report from the ONS the number of "excess deaths" last winter almost halved as it was so mild. The is no doubt that cold weather has a negative impact on the longevity of many frail and elderly such as myself.

Wasn't good for those who were flooded last winter though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
47 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

Absolutely no idea what your talking about,it's my opinion i'm voicing thats all! Of course its a weather  forum,i get that,all i'm saying is extreme end of the scale weather events being hot or cold cause misery and a higher increase in death rates. I personally can't understand folk who bang on about wanting it to be the hottest or coldest but that is my opinion.