Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Oh dear, after all yesterday's hyperbole, projected uppers, for next Thursday/Friday's 'event' seem to have gone up from -8 or so to -6C...Sleet on a fresh WNW-NW wind, eh? Yummy!:lazy:

By the time it gets into the reliable time frame and the normal downgrades they'll be -2C or 0C more likely or not. This Monday at T168 if I remember correctly was originally shown to be cold and now it's mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
34 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Today's max temp here was -13C. I refuse to go out :D Second arctic day in a row. Shades of February 12.

Go out. It isn't that bad. :p

• Like 1

Posted

And just as I said earlier, 12z output has different ideas, too many 'experts' who know better. No doubt ECM will follow suit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Temperatures of -20C and lower are not much fun, you can't be out in it for long. Any exposed skin is soon painfully frozen!

Not really, if you are careful and wear proper clothing you will be fine (people in those countries wear proper clothing unlike Brits abroad) Temperatures in Yakutsk in Russia regularly reach -45C in Winter but there's always lots of people walking about and they wear layers. You don't hear of mass cases of frostbite mostly because of what they wear.

7 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

Yes, be very careful what you wish for.

Those are brutally cold temperatures, thousands will die from cold across Europe this week!

The old or poor folk that don't have or can't afford heating but just imagine having to sleep outside in those low temperatures.

:cold:

More people in the UK die from cold than in Scandinavia during the Winter. People in this country don't dress properly for cold weather (when we do get it) and our homes are poorly insulted http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/more-people-die-from-cold-in-britain-than-in-sweden-every-winter-8958302.html

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Seasonality said:

A bit alarmist really but I understand why it appears scary if you're used to a mild country like the UK. Typing this from Warsaw and it is cold, I'll give you that. But it isn't record breaking and people are going about their daily business. 7 people have died from hypothermia in Poland from this cold snap, death is awful but that isn't that many in terms of excess death. People are used to it more here. 

*edit: You've a good point in terms of being careful what you wish for though, at least in reference to the milder parts of the UK. Transplant the conditions in Warsaw to London and you can predict what would happen... Not sure all of the keyboard "brutal cold" and "beasterly" enthusiasts would like it that much. 

That's the thing. Most people in the UK aren't used to temps below -20C and have never experienced it. I have when I worked in America, it was cold for sure but I never got frostbite as I wore warm clothing...... like Warsaw people just got on with their lives.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Couldn't make it up :wallbash:

138-780UK.GIF

We will be off up to the relatives outside Kendal anyway.....:closedeyes:

(maybe behind a snowplough?)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

This seems to be the main event so far. Been watching the runs all winter and they have often downgraded. This seems like a more substantial cold spell. The others were glancing blows or shifted east. As for snow, let's hope for further upgrades so more than just Scotland and NW England can start watching lampposts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Despite the hyperbole about European cold, I would still say the -5C experienced in the UK felt worse than skiing when it was -20C, and that's wearing the same layers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Despite the hyperbole about European cold, I would still say the -5C experienced in the UK felt worse than skiing when it was -20C, and that's wearing the same layers!

Funny you say that. The cold does have a different 'feel' on the continent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Cold spell sneaking closer till the reliable time frame will it make it? Should know by tomorrow evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
34 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Probably because here it's always a damp cold, feels worse than dry cold. Same in our summer when we get a hot spell, can be very humid (though not always).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's definitely the humidity indeed. It's certainly very noticeable in terms on windchill i.e. a strong northwesterly feels more unpleasant than an equivalent dry northeasterly.

In light of that, late next week will feel bitter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Wish for whatever you want to wish for.  It will neither make what you wish for happen, nor make you responsible for anything should it so happen

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Not really, if you are careful and wear proper clothing you will be fine (people in those countries wear proper clothing unlike Brits abroad) Temperatures in Yakutsk in Russia regularly reach -45C in Winter but there's always lots of people walking about and they wear layers. You don't hear of mass cases of frostbite mostly because of what they wear.

That's a very good point, it does seem a peculiarly British thing to dress completely inappropriately for the weather at hand, whatever the season. 

My point was more about the 'ease' of life that we take for granted here because temperatures are rarely extreme. For example, I went for a nice walk today, if it was -25C it wouldn't be pleasant however many furs and thermals I'd be wearing. I might be warm but every bit of skin would have to be covered. That's why in cities like Toronto there is a city underground mirroring the one above. I'm sure people in Yakutsk are not out for a Sunday stroll in -45C! Or maybe they are used to it?! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

More people in the UK die from cold than in Scandinavia during the Winter. People in this country don't dress properly for cold weather (when we do get it) and our homes are poorly insulted http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/more-people-die-from-cold-in-britain-than-in-sweden-every-winter-8958302.html

Scandinavia isn't Eastern Europe though. Eastern Europe is poorer. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16786877

In any case, as stainesbloke says, very cold weather and snow simply makes life more difficult than it otherwise would be. Look at the US - people are fleeing from the northern states to the southern ones to get away from the cold. You don't get people moving to other countries for colder winters.

This forum is not representative of the population as a whole. Most people do not care for very cold weather. People who live in cold climates are definitely used to the cold, but that doesn't mean they like it. I mean, I know this guy who lives in Vancouver and he chose to live there because it's the only major Canadian city that isn't freezing cold in winter. He loves the fact that Vancouver is so mild while the rest of the country freezes. 

I love snow and cold in winter, but I know most people in real life don't like it. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
On 1/1/2017 at 21:49, ribster said:

Just for fun, I'm expecting the period 16th to 21st Jan to be noteworthy, we will see...

Looking good...

ECM 17th Jan.png

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, ribster said:

I don't think anyone fell for anything, the 12z/18z may well show a similar theme to yesterday, just a day closer. I think some are a little quick to judge. It seems some will pick holes in the output whatever it shows, unless it's 12 week snowmageddon!

And as if by magic...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 minutes ago, ribster said:

And as if by magic...

Interestingly the Norwegian Met are going for things to calm down in Oslo from next weekend with sunshine & clear skies plus low temperatures, conducive of high pressure taking charge maybe ??

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, cheese said:

Scandinavia isn't Eastern Europe though. Eastern Europe is poorer. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16786877

In any case, as stainesbloke says, very cold weather and snow simply makes life more difficult than it otherwise would be. Look at the US - people are fleeing from the northern states to the southern ones to get away from the cold. You don't get people moving to other countries for colder winters.

This forum is not representative of the population as a whole. Most people do not care for very cold weather. People who live in cold climates are definitely used to the cold, but that doesn't mean they like it. I mean, I know this guy who lives in Vancouver and he chose to live there because it's the only major Canadian city that isn't freezing cold in winter. He loves the fact that Vancouver is so mild while the rest of the country freezes. 

I love snow and cold in winter, but I know most people in real life don't like it. 

I don't think you have got the point - Scandinavia & eastern Europe are much better prepared for cold. Your article is selective as well. "Many of the deaths were homeless" Of course they will bloody suffer. Most of us though spend far less time outdoors so -20C should be no problem at all if you are healthy & wrapped up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

I see North America are getting a good snow dumping now with super low temps. Moscow currently - 30

Indeed, heres a few pics from Southern Italy and Sicily, that I have already posted, propper dumping and more to come, anyone got anything from Greece? 

Hopefully it will be our turn later next week!

45910_1_1.jpg

45927_1_1.jpg

45927_1_4.jpg

• Like 4