Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There could be some interesting discussion (decanting of playthings from perambulators) in another place, over the next few days - showers might turn wintry, in NW Scotland, in about 7-8 days' time?? What on earth could go wrong!:shok:

• Like 1

Posted

As promised, an update on my central heating. Engineer out today and got it working, but it needs a part that they don't have.Probably won't get it until next week so while we're still waiting for a permanent fixyou can rest assured that we're still in with a chance of really cold weather. Once the new part is put in, I expect the weather to immediately change to unbroken sunshine and unseasonal temps of around 25C. Sigh... :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
22 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

78/79 was a snowy one, for sure and lasted from late December thru most of January. Then the cold returned later in that Winter i think.

Good call, I must have had a "senior moment" :D.  We had lying snow from Christmas to the end of February.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Good call, I must have had a "senior moment" :D.  We had lying snow from Christmas to the end of February.

I remember a twenty-four-hour-long blizzard, in Milton Keynes, in March 1979 - which, I think, went on to cause all sorts of mayhem up near Newcastle?

• Like 1

Posted

... now, eyes down to the 18z, let's hope the trends continue for the upcoming NW/N next week. Rant over!! 

Lets hope for some nationwide snow in the forthcoming week... or so :cold:

Edited by ajpoolshark
removed o/t part of post

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

As a long time lurker on this forum, of which I'm learning much from the more experienced meteorological observers I might add, I too have noted that "Fergieweather" has disappeared from posting. I've also noted that "Gibby" no longer posts his rather wonderful daily updates here either.  

Of the above examples, I also noted that Fergieweather would garner "likes" as if there were no tomorrow regardless of the length or quality of his post. For example (and I paraphrase), Ian could post something akin  to, 'Major change in ENS from 0z to 18z. Nothing set in concrete, but all to play for" and this would have 36 likes in 2 hours. Yet Gibby posted lengthy and highly detailed analysis of the models on a daily basis, including verification stats, before 09:00  more often than not and would get - maybe - two or three "likes".

I, obviously, can't answer for IanF but - personally - I would have found (and did find) the sycophancy regarding his every post nauseating.

It was as if his every word was greeted thus:-

kneelsuckers.gif

Nevertheless, I'll miss the musings of both but still read with interest the technical insights of the more........taciturn posters in the models forum.

Whilst I'm having a moan (because this is the thread that permits moaning, does it not??) can the mods on the model forum just stop deleting / pruning / modifying members posts just because said post does not specifically mention a model run, please? Each and every post has context to the subject in question, it doesn't de-rail the thread in question, they don't detract from the discussion but adds to it,  I'd be hacked off if someone anonymously pruned a post I had spent 15 minutes or so of my time composing (you owe me my time), and topic drift adds spice to a forum. 

<returnstolurkinghavingsaidhispiece>

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, carinthian said:

Minus -14c in my back garden and the wind blowing snow off my roof, nearly buried in it. Wish I could send just even one snowflake your way to the land that snow refuses to re-visit. Crap weekend charts again for Blighty, just mild, cloudy doss again. Fingers crossed for you guys for later next week.

c

Nice.  I want to echo those thoughts as a former resident ( 1997-04 ). I was really disappointed that successive winters for me during those years delivered little or nothing in the way of snow or very cold conditions. I lived on the south coast of England, Salisbury, and Swansea. I believe they weren't productive years in a historical context evn considering the locations, but now you guys have another batch of bad years. I would be interested to know whether temperate regions of the world ( north and south ) subject to a strong oceanic climate are losing their wintery type events more so than other regions due to changing weather patterns. Tasmanian winters are unrecognisable for instance, only brief wintry events,  blink your eyes and they're gone. 

Edited by Styx
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, dusk said:

As a long time lurker on this forum, of which I'm learning much from the more experienced meteorological observers I might add, I too have noted that "Fergieweather" has disappeared from posting. I've also noted that "Gibby" no longer posts his rather wonderful daily updates here either.  

Of the above examples, I also noted that Fergieweather would garner "likes" as if there were no tomorrow regardless of the length or quality of his post. For example (and I paraphrase), Ian could post something akin  to, 'Major change in ENS from 0z to 18z. Nothing set in concrete, but all to play for" and this would have 36 likes in 2 hours. Yet Gibby posted lengthy and highly detailed analysis of the models on a daily basis, including verification stats, before 09:00  more often than not and would get - maybe - two or three "likes".

I, obviously, can't answer for IanF but - personally - I would have found (and did find) the sycophancy regarding his every post nauseating.

kneelsuckers.gif

Nevertheless, I'll miss the musings of both but still read with interest the technical insights of the more........taciturn posters in the models forum.

Whilst I'm having a moan (because this is the thread that permits moaning, does it not??) can the mods on the model forum just stop deleting / pruning / modifying members posts just because said post does not specifically mention a model run, please? Each and every post has context to the subject in question, it doesn't de-rail the thread in question, they don't detract from the discussion but adds to it,  I'd be hacked off if someone anonymously pruned a post I had spent 15 minutes or so of my time composing (you owe me my time), and topic drift adds spice to a forum. 

I ehco your thoughts and reasoning Dusk. Mine was edited to extract my dismay with regard to the aforementioned. Enough to said before I get barred. I love this forum and I'm attached to it daily and I do not want to (and have been asked politly not to) mention it further. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, dusk said:

kneelsuckers.gif

I'm sorry, but in all fairness, the model output thread is strictly for model output discussion only...There are plenty of other threads available on NetWeather to post non-model discussion. This is regularly reiterated by members of the site team and in the vast majority of cases, it is adhered to. If for any reason you feel this is an unsatisfactory response then you are more than welcome to contact any member of the site team either by pm or email...........This particular thread is a less formal thread in approach than the model output discussion and is geared towards members either venting steam or expressing their happiness at the latest model outputs without having to necessarily having to elaborate in depth

• Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, dusk said:

kneelsuckers.gif

Oh dear. Clearly you still have much to learn. Whilst I too miss Gibby's informative and well written posts, your a little miguided regarging Fergie. A professional, who shared Meto thoughts and output with us that we would not normally have access to.

To compare his posts with some other so called "respected" posters, who have traded, in some cases for years, in telling people what they want to hear, is a bit insulting.

Maybe there are those here who just need to be told "it's going to snow xx days in the future and here's why", maybe they enjoy the toy throwing when it inevitably doesn't? 

I think most of us are over it and roll our eyes and move on.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

There is a distinct lack of salivating in the other thread this morning. I know not why. :cc_confused:

There's a distinct lack of weather in most of the UK, that's why!

Also, no carrots or raging easterlies. I'm beginning to miss the endless Atlantic lows of the last couple of years, at least then the sky moved about a bit :D

• Like 4

Posted

its ok everyone, i think its safe to say winters over, just seen the front page of the Daily Express and it says coldest winter for 6 years, well surely that cant be hard to achieve, but i guess it can.

• Like 1

Posted

This has to be the dullest winter I can remember - no snow, very few storms, just surface cold nothingness

Roll on spring, longer days and feeling the warmth of the sunshine - can't come soon enough 

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, JoeShmoe said:

This has to be the dullest winter I can remember - no snow, very few storms, just surface cold nothingness

Roll on spring, longer days and feeling the warmth of the sunshine - can't come soon enough 

Agree, benign, dead, boring, dull, flat, humdrum, insipid, monotonous, repetitious, routine, stale, tedious, tiresome, tiring, unexciting, uninteresting, unvaried, wearisome.

Just a few words that would describe the UK winter season to date!

But, we have seen a few decent frosts and I would prefer this boring blocked cooler dry pattern to sustained SW's, copious amounts of rain, flooding and exceptionally mild temperatures.

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sparky1972 said:

its ok everyone, i think its safe to say winters over, just seen the front page of the Daily Express and it says coldest winter for 6 years, well surely that cant be hard to achieve, but i guess it can.

Tomorrow here we expect maximum of -6 ! The lowest temp records for parts near here are broken it seems every few years !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
10 hours ago, Styx said:

Nice.  I want to echo those thoughts as a former resident ( 1997-04 ). I was really disappointed that successive winters for me during those years delivered little or nothing in the way of snow or very cold conditions. I lived on the south coast of England, Salisbury, and Swansea. I believe they weren't productive years in a historical context evn considering the locations, but now you guys have another batch of bad years. I would be interested to know whether temperate regions of the world ( north and south ) subject to a strong oceanic climate are losing their wintery type events more so than other regions due to changing weather patterns. Tasmanian winters are unrecognisable for instance, only brief wintry events,  blink your eyes and they're gone. 

Hi Styx, those winters 1997-04 in Blighty were for the most part not very wintry. 2005 made my mind up to get out as I could not face any more British winters. Just rewarded this morning with -20c, snow showers, sunshine. I love it, even at my age !

15875223_2413431578683818_8112961567700234097_o.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
41 minutes ago, cheese said:

Guess the razor blades are back out again this morning. Yawn.

With every packet of razor blades you get a free suspended snowflake to keep for old times sake !

C

Edited by carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

Agree, benign, dead, boring, dull, flat, humdrum, insipid, monotonous, repetitious, routine, stale, tedious, tiresome, tiring, unexciting, uninteresting, unvaried, wearisome.

Just a few words that would describe the UK winter season to date!

But, we have seen a few decent frosts and I would prefer this boring blocked cooler dry pattern to sustained SW's, copious amounts of rain, flooding and exceptionally mild temperatures.

It is a difficult one isn't it. On the one hand it is better than endless mild rain and we have had some decent frosts and cool sunny days. On the other hand it's unrelentingly boring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Told you so merchants out in force on the Mod thread this morning, BORE OFF!!!!!! 

• Like 2