Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
1 minute ago, Spikey M said:

If I hear the words 'building-block' and 'day 10' again I might have to wrap the afore mentioned block around the users head.

Could be worse,could be a building-block full of POTENTIAL :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

Well another fortnight of nothing but crud roll on Spring had enough now .beeb are saying mild into next week that's what we should be grateful for. I don't understand why people look so far in advance for weather signals when 3 to 5 days is more than enough to get prepared for anything bad coming our way not that it ever happens well back to getting dinner ready which more exciting than reading this tosh.

Posted

I see the properly cold FI scenarios on GFS have once again disappeared today. Despite the greater hopes and promise of this winter Is this going to be a season that flatters to deceive and consequently even more disappointing than the last few where at least we suspected both in our hearts and from the science that real cold and snow would never arrive.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
13 minutes ago, Hammer50 said:

Well another fortnight of nothing but crud roll on Spring had enough now .beeb are saying mild into next week that's what we should be grateful for. I don't understand why people look so far in advance for weather signals when 3 to 5 days is more than enough to get prepared for anything bad coming our way not that it ever happens well back to getting dinner ready which more exciting than reading this tosh.

Its not good hunting the charts for UK snow. This weekend charts sums it up at best and no doubt the tv weather presenters will gladly inform the nation, "at least will will turn milder"  Just what you need to hear.

Edited by carinthian

Posted

I appreciate there has been some snow in some parts of the country over the last few winters but to get meaningful snow cover down in my neck of the woods you usually need a cold continental flow or an artic maritime trough. Cold zonality doesn't cut the mustard here. There's nothing in the charts apart from a possible northerly toppler becoming less potent by the modelling day.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
35 minutes ago, cornish snow said:

Could be worse,could be a building-block full of POTENTIAL :D

Ah yes but these are special building blocks...made out of sugar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, SW1988 said:

Well at least all the high pressure fans on the other thtead will be happy with the never ending borefest.

Always found it strange why weather enthusiasts would like constant HP,even in summer!

Because it brings the second best weather type in winter to snow for me personally anyway. Its either this or boring atlantic weather systems bringing an endless bore fest of rain = Its not as if, this high pressure wasn't to be here we would be under a polar vortex with a snow storm is it?

It would just be BORING RAIN as the most likely option along with a full on zonal pattern like the past 3 winters

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, SW1988 said:

Well at least all the high pressure fans on the other thtead will be happy with the never ending borefest.

Always found it strange why weather enthusiasts would like constant HP,even in summer!

If you lived up north last winter, you'd know why. Nothing good comes from endless rain and wind. 

I mean, come on - today is a sunny and frosty day. Nobody in their right mind can prefer wind and rain to this.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Cold downgrade as expected a winter without snow coming up. If I see a snow flake I'll pickle it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

If you lived up north last winter, you'd know why. Nothing good comes from endless rain and wind. 

Indeed, a rather stupid comment tbh. What's not to like about today's sunshine!

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

I mean, come on - today is a sunny and frosty day. Nobody in their right mind can prefer wind and rain to this.

My thoughts exactly Cheese. Although I have to go with the each to their own route, I cant help but feel that anyone that complains of DRY weather just sits indoors and never goes out

Probably not of course, but yeah im with you, why would anyone want wind and rain over HP 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
21 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

Haha... Excellent :yahoo:

Snowray that is exactly it.... I find posts like that absolutely hilarious but that one has to be the winner...... Convincing themselves that another snowless winter so far is OK, Because it can still snow in JUNE......Waaaaaaaaaaa :rofl:

And whats with the ''Lower expectations'' from that post - Its been 4 years for Christ sake... Even the blooming Sahara Dessert had snow last month!!

Your reaction is actually pretty funny too you've got to admit. Throwing your toys out of the pram is as much a cliche on this forum as the comments you've just pointed out. But don't think I'm singling you out, we're all guilty of it. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle between what you're saying and the thoughts of the annoying optimists who wind you up so much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

Very frustrating!

200 mile Westward shift and SE England would already be under -10 850's

Why is the UK always under the yellow/green sector?

05 Jan 17 850.png

Because of northern jet and positive NAO ! I looked at this over 20 years when trying to see why we (in SE Europe) have seen much more cold and snow than in years before that !

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Its not good hunting the charts for UK snow. This weekend charts sums it up at best and no doubt the tv weather presenters will gladly inform the nation, "at least will will turn milder"  Just what you need to hear.

"at least it will turn milder" is one of those annoyingly vacuous comments that are made on the news. The other is when they refer to average conditions as cold, e.g. "get your gloves and hats out, it'll be 8 degrees tomorrow."

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I'm not complaining about how dry it is: there is a small but annoying infestation of light rain showers currently blighting the Triangle of Doom...And I didn't see them on the models!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

More woeful winter weather model output today. The building blocks are in place for the potential of no snow again this winter:wink:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not bad again! but need 12Z's to follow, these thicknesses should support snow at lowish elevations, massive drifts though oop norf

hgt500-1000.png

Posted
31 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, I'm not complaining about how dry it is: there is a small but annoying infestation of light rain showers currently blighting the Triangle of Doom...And I didn't see them on the models!

Where is the triangle of doom? In another post you refer to the anointed ones. Sounds like you're in a H.P. Lovecraft novel lol. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Where is the triangle of doom? In another post you refer to the anointed ones. Sounds like you're in a H.P. Lovecraft novel lol. :)

It's around here somewhere, usually when everyone else is enjoying T-Storms or snow? Anywho, I need to reanimate myself and stock up on muesli!:unsure2:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Oh look Camborne main street 1979

C.jpg

Love it that it's soooo unusually cold for there that someone has donned a war time 'great coat'. That's the same winter which prompted the Hannah Hauxwell book & film 'Too long a winter', it was particularly harsh up in the Northern Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

Because it brings the second best weather type in winter to snow for me personally anyway. Its either this or boring atlantic weather systems bringing an endless bore fest of rain = Its not as if, this high pressure wasn't to be here we would be under a polar vortex with a snow storm is it?

It would just be BORING RAIN as the most likely option along with a full on zonal pattern like the past 3 winters

Relentless rain and wind is the single most boring winter weather possible. After a while in addition to being boring it becomes increasingly stressful..re: wind damage...flood damage.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Relentless rain and wind is the single most boring winter weather possible. After a while in addition to being boring it becomes increasingly stressful..re: wind damage...flood damage.

It's good to change things up every so often. I quite enjoy a good storm, but wouldn't want them every week.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Seasonality said:

Your reaction is actually pretty funny too you've got to admit. Throwing your toys out of the pram is as much a cliche on this forum as the comments you've just pointed out. But don't think I'm singling you out, we're all guilty of it. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle between what you're saying and the thoughts of the annoying optimists who wind you up so much.

Yes your right Seasonality; My thinking is probably equally hilarious to the optimists. But I would still rather be 'feet firmly on ground' and 'in reality' other than some dreamer convincing myself 'it will all be OK' because its only January!

All that aside, I still hope for the Optimists outcomes and I shall be the first to congratulate them - We all want the same thing at the end of the day = SNOW

• Like 1