Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, considering that 'some have alluded to upgrades', what could possibly go wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
6 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Some people just refuse to believe our winters have changed, and snow is much harder to achieve away from northern hills, it's called the mõdern era

Hi,

I'm genuinely confused by this term mod era, and was wondering why it seems it only affects us in the UK. As you can see from the supporting charts below there seems to be an abundance of very cold air all around us to low latitude, certainly cold enough for snow. Could it just be that we've been unlucky :pardon:image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm pretty sure in the 60s 70s and 80s Snow fell early December and stayed deep, crisp and even until the warming rays of spring, so there must be something wrong ? 

Edited by shotski
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

One time in Oldham that sticks in the memory was being there in the winter of 95/96. Thought I'd experienced bad snowy weather growing up in a North Wales village 700ft above sea level...

God...never felt so cold in all my life..was like being on a polar expedition...north east wind was like a knife and the snow (fine powdery stuff) actually stung when it hit the skin.

And I would give my eye teeth to relive it :)

Oh yes,totally agree,used to live in Saddleworth,Grasscroft actually,saw some pretty heavy and blinking freezing conditions regarding snow,like powder as you said......oh i wish:)

• Like 1

Posted

Is there a man made way to shift the slug other than a nuke? 

Edited by nn2013

Posted
56 minutes ago, shotski said:

Hi,

I'm genuinely confused by this term mod era, and was wondering why it seems it only affects us in the UK. As you can see from the supporting charts below there seems to be an abundance of very cold air all around us to low latitude, certainly cold enough for snow. Could it just be that we've been unlucky :pardon:image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm pretty sure in the 60s 70s and 80s Snow fell early December and stayed deep, crisp and even until the warming rays of spring, so there must be something wrong ? 

Most of the warmer global temperatures are in the oceans and thus that impacts us in the UK given we're an island at the butt-end of all that extra energy supplied to the polar front. Cold anomalies off Greenland (ice melt?) and much warmer + anomalies south of Newfoundland make for a considerably disrupted jet pattern.

Edited by PersianPaladin
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, PersianPaladin said:

Most of the warmer global temperatures are in the oceans and thus that impacts us in the UK given we're an island at the butt-end of all that extra energy supplied to the polar front. Cold anomalies off Greenland (ice melt?) and much warmer + anomalies south of Newfoundland make for a considerably disrupted jet pattern.

Thanks for the reply PP. the Atlantic currently looks colder than average ?image.jpg

Posted
29 minutes ago, knocker said:

I find that recently I have an ever growing affinity for slugs as well as squirrels. I know not why but I suspect it has something to do with drama queens. :cc_confused:

Drama queens are brilliant! :D

Posted
2 minutes ago, shotski said:

Thanks for the reply PP. the Atlantic currently looks colder than average ?image.jpg

Yes, but you have to consider the lag-time with respect to temperature in the oceans. Look at the higher-res November and December temps over the respective weeks:-

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/anomaly/2016.html

Posted
5 minutes ago, PersianPaladin said:

Yes, but you have to consider the lag-time with respect to temperature in the oceans. Look at the higher-res November and December temps over the respective weeks:-

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/anomaly/2016.html

Thanks for the link PP.

Don't get me wrong, I accept there is global warming happening, not sure of driver.

what I don't agree with is that low lying snow in this country is pretty much a thing of the past. We're always likely to be odds against tapping into any deep cold and that's  more down to geographical location as past winters have proved. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
2 hours ago, shotski said:

Hi,

image.jpg

From my 66 years' experience there were only a couple of winters when snow lay "deep and even" until spring: 1962/63 and 1981/82 although the Eighties saw several significant snow events lasting up to a month.  This was in the Merseyside area.

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

From my 66 years' experience there were only a couple of winters when snow lay "deep and even" until spring: 1962/63 and 1981/82 although the Eighties saw several significant snow events lasting up to a month.  This was in the Merseyside area.

Cheers mate , that was sort of the point I was trying to make. 

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

78/79 was a snowy one, for sure and lasted from late December thru most of January. Then the cold returned later in that Winter i think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

After just watching long range forecast on bbc news It's looking unlikely we'll see anything wintry in next 10 days.

It will be either mild and wet or mild and dry.

Early days yet but yet another snowless winter could be on cards. :wallbash:

Posted

Up early with a spring in my step and a fluttering heart thinking "what is the forecast and what do the models hint at? "

Answer..... very little :(

Posted
10 hours ago, Bradowl said:

After just watching long range forecast on bbc news It's looking unlikely we'll see anything wintry in next 10 days.

It will be either mild and wet or mild and dry.

Early days yet but yet another snowless winter could be on cards. :wallbash:

We are just about half way through the real winter period and nothing looks like changing in our favour.

That damn Azores High (UK Winter killer) has once again scuppered things for us.

I was really hopeful that, because of different NH pattern this year, we'd see a change to much more wintry conditions at some stage this winter but now I'm convinced it will not happen!

Another snowless winter for SE England is definitely now on the cards. :angry:

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

I often find the 00z gfs op run to be the most disappointing run of it's suite and way too flat on most occasions.  The ecm looks good in my opinion. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Mornings like this remind me how much I hate summer mornings! Feels so fresh and clean today,beautiful sky,feel so much more ready for the day!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
19 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Very frustrating!

200 mile Westward shift and SE England would already be under -10 850's

Why is the UK always under the yellow/green sector?

05 Jan 17 850.png

Yep must be very frustrating when many in Euroland getting snow this morning. Picture taken by my daughter this morning on her way to work in Stockholm City Centre , temp -12c. Cannot imagine centre of London looking like that ! Another bland weekend weather wise for Blighty with nothing weather but hopefully you will see some surprises later next week. But it always the same old story , chasing the cold, always just out of touch and meanwhile time ebbs away towards longer days . I am sure you will get some of the white stuff soon, at least a better shot than last winter.

C

15909306_10157886927905062_688629318_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Well at least all the high pressure fans on the other thtead will be happy with the never ending borefest.

Always found it strange why weather enthusiasts would like constant HP,even in summer!

• Like 2

Posted

If I hear the words 'building-block' and 'day 10' again I might have to wrap the aforementioned block around the users head.

Edited by Spikey M
  • Like 6