Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
10 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well a few weeks ago we had "1962/63 didn't start until xmas so chill out".......I'm guessing the 1947 excuse will be wheeled out soon? "it didn't start until 3rd week of Jan." :help:

Anyway I'm going to enjoy xmas now, have a good one all. :santa-emoji:

I'm 40 years old and live in central England  and I can honestly say I can't remember a white Xmas in my lifetime , why would this year be anything different. Our winters traditionally start after December and go well into March when the jet stream tends to calm down. 2010 was definitely the exception to the norm but I'm sure the new year will bring lots of opportunity. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, shotski said:

I'm 40 years old and live in central England  and I can honestly say I can't remember a white Xmas in my lifetime , why would this year be anything different. Our winters traditionally start after December and go well into March when the jet stream tends to calm down. 2010 was definitely the exception to the norm but I'm sure the new year will bring lots of opportunity. 

I am 34 live in Northants and same for me last white xmas Northants was 1981 checked it out 2010 was few days out as snow melted. Think was 2014 had wet snow boxing day that's as close as come to a white xmas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 hours ago, shotski said:

Let's hope so but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. I'm 67 this year coming up so quite a bit older than yourself. I've seen some amazing cold and snow events in my life time including 1962/63. But even years ago our climate was often a bit disappointing for snow because of the Atlantic and the prevailing westerly wind which has always been a thorn in the side of a "coldie" in this country, there was always long spells of mild weather in between the colder Winters.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

ECH1-240.GIF

Ding Dong, Verily a High!:santa-emoji:

Merry Christmas, all.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
40 minutes ago, knocker said:

Just a reminder if you are serving up 'Greeny Highs' tomorrow as a side dish, or even the main agenda, it's imperative they are not overcooked

Over cooked , it's positively falling off the bone :D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, BlueSkies_do_I_see said:

All I want for Christmas is a Greenie High.. 

I fancy a Murr sausage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Hardcore MO thread contributors in a froth over the latest ECM charts for the 3rd Jan.

We shall see as ever........

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 23/12/2016 at 17:14, phil nw. said:

Nothing wrong with a bit excitement,let's face it there's been nothing to shout about for coldies so far,however many of us have been here before with the old Atlantic ridge and the main jet running over the top.

This is what would excite me

archivesnh-2010-1-1-0-0.png

I don't think we are anywhere in that ball park currently.

Theirs a possibility that the ecm could produce that within the next few runs,i hope:santa-emoji:

ECH1-240.GIF.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Something is brewing,models are certainly showing the trend now to fill the coldies with a bit of hope,we need it after a shockingly warm xmas day!! Fingers crossed winter may be starting!:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
52 minutes ago, markyo said:

Something is brewing,models are certainly showing the trend now to fill the coldies with a bit of hope,we need it after a shockingly warm xmas day!! Fingers crossed winter may be starting!:)

Yep nothing unusual about January turning colder, what with the lag effect in our climate. December isn't normally a proper Winter month anyway, bar exceptions like 2010. Just like June isn't normally the hottest Summer month despite the most daylight. And September temps can often feel more Summer like than Autumn.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yep nothing unusual about January turning colder, what with the lag effect in our climate. December isn't normally a proper Winter month anyway, bar exceptions like 2010. Just like June isn't normally the hottest Summer month despite the most daylight. And September temps can often feel more Summer like than Autumn.

I certainly don't expect anything special this winter. It's another familiar tale of the pot of gold being dangled at day 10 only for this to be watered down to nothing! This sums up the last 24 hours on the models, sorry, last 6 years actually!

Posted
  • Location: Peasedown St John (Just South of Bath) Somerset 150m asl
  • Location: Peasedown St John (Just South of Bath) Somerset 150m asl
4 hours ago, markyo said:

I thought that back a few weeks back but look where we ended up.  

Anyway, lots of the big guns in the mod thread a minute or two ago. Good to see a sensible discussion going on.  

Maybe, ( there 'could be something brewing' ) may be more appropriate.  

IMO, better than there 'isn't anything brewing'.  IYFMD... drift (drifting) get it?

Night all.....

Posted

The odds are tumbling on social media that fergieweather, with a late burst up the rails, will get a mention in the New Years Honours List. :whistling:

" The trend is your friend"

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Nice looking winter charts to start 2017 for those looking for snow and near freezing temperatures. The first chart from UKMO (N Atlantic view ) at168t in the almost reliable time span shows the front clearing the south coast of England and a colder arctic sourced air mass covering much of the British Isles, maybe with a disturbance running along the Channel/ N France. Later chart from ECM at 240t shows cold air established well south into Western Europe with a nice Mid Atlantic block. GFS at the same time  shows polar disturbances starting to form and head towards the Britsh Isles with a slightly flatter Mid Atlantic block , resulting in a cut off of the cold supply for a while before a renewed Arctic attack again well south into Western Europe, but that's a long way off. Overall pleasing charts for most this morning and getting closer to a reliable time period for coming off !

C

ukm2.2017010200.168.lant.troplant.prp.fcst.gentracker.png

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

Edited by carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Many many positives on the horizon at last,something to cheer us up after a awful December. Love the way some folk just dismiss any move towards cold,bit odd in my opinion as some are senior members on the forum who should know better.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

Many many positives on the horizon at last,something to cheer us up after a awful December. Love the way some folk just dismiss any move towards cold,bit odd in my opinion as some are senior members on the forum who should know better.

Some get easily downbeat, others? Hmmmmmm i think most of us know full well what you mean , ignore function is wonderful....

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Some get easily downbeat, others? Hmmmmmm i think most of us know full well what you mean , ignore function is wonderful....

If it's me you are referring to I'll save you the bother of using the function.