Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
3 hours ago, knocker said:

From a contact in Minnesota (Cornish migration) yesterday

A snow storm came through yesterday, and now the cold front that followed has a forecast of minus 21 F overnight (-29C).

(We are so lucky over here to miss all this)

Min.jpg

That image brings back memories of the hell that was winter 2009/10. What felt like non stop snowfall forced a rather reluctant purchase of a snow blower. Instead of shovelling snow off the drive and paths for a few hours a day, the blower dealt with the chaos in half hour. Around 9am on the 8th January 2010 the temperature indicator on the car displayed -25C. The novelty of snow and cold quickly wore off that year...

Edited by Norrona2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Bit windy but if we hit 15c I am getting that BBQ going:D After all did a BBQ last june when the temp was close to 15c so why not. It will feel like a Christmas BBQ in OZ, well sort of....:cc_confused::drunk-emoji:

ECM0-144.GIF

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, knocker said:

A bit breezy for the barby; might need to relocate to the woodshed

gfs_t2maf_slp_uk2_25.png

Do you have the ECM wind speed for the 25th?

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Flip flops out! this looks balmy 

ECM1-216.GIF?19-0

Bit early yet

ECU0-216.GIF?19-0

High pressure in no rush to leave so expect plenty of dry weather post-Christmas away from the far north

ECH1-240.GIF?19-0

Posted
14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Do you have the ECM wind speed for the 25th?

They are not too bad as the strong winds skirt around north of Scotland and then SE into the north North Sea.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Bit early yet

ECU0-216.GIF?19-0

High pressure in no rush to leave so expect plenty of dry weather post-Christmas away from the far north

ECH1-240.GIF?19-0

Yes, let's hope it can be as dry as possible, I can never find temps for ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Poor charts for any real wintry weather, hopefully they will change though probably not!!!! :sorry:

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes, let's hope it can be as dry as possible, I can never find temps for ECM

Try yr.no

I believe they use ECM

Posted

More return of the Euroslug and downgrading of PM/cooler air before that, especially on the ECM:wallbash:

I'm beginning to lose it with our climate... I've defended it on here sometimes... really struggling at the moment!

Summer is much better than winters like this and that's saying something considering we're worse for warmth/interest than most places at our latitude...

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

Don't mind the downgrading of polar westerlies, they are useless here, but certainly safe to say no snow in the south before mid Jan, HLB is so rare in the mõdern era, and the euroslug is more common

but would prefer it mild/dry, to stormy and wet with PM air and 6°, neither any use to a snow lover, so may as well be super mild

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

More return of the Euroslug and downgrading of PM/cooler air before that, especially on the ECM:wallbash:

I'm beginning to lose it with our climate... I've defended it on here sometimes... really struggling at the moment!

Summer is much better than winters like this and that's saying something considering we're worse for warmth/interest than most places at our latitude...

Yes very depressing runs at the moment , seems impossible to get rid of the slug. Hopefully America will come out of the freezer soon, and the jet will die down, and take a nose dive south.

Posted

Was wondering at the time, if Nov 28th-30th would be coldest period of the season, have to rely on short lived inversions for cold nowadays

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am no expert but the pattern for this winter so far has been identical to the past few dreary wet and mild winters with America hogging all the cold.  Early cold followed by mild all the way to Spring. The curse of the Daily Excess?

Edited by Ravendane

7 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

You won't get this set up in Summer

Posted
1 hour ago, snowflakey said:

Yes very depressing runs at the moment , seems impossible to get rid of the slug. Hopefully America will come out of the freezer soon, and the jet will die down, and take a nose dive south.

Sorry MODS but was this post of mine in the wrong forum, please let me know. 

6 hours ago, Ravendane said:

I am no expert but the pattern for this winter so far has been identical to the past few dreary wet and mild winters with America hogging all the cold.  Early cold followed by mild all the way to Spring. The curse of the Daily Excess?

Not just America. many parts of Europe continue to have lots of snow. The UK has its own climate, often the reverse to the other areas . I mentiond earlier the snow that awaited me in Spain when the ferry docked. Two Years ago last Summer IArrived in Caen, France to a heatwave. This lasted 4 Months. 1OO miles north in UK was cool with drizzle most of that Summer

Edited by Tonyinhampshire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Probably odds on that it will be 4 winters in a row without a nationwide cold/snowy spell, surely we live in the most boring location at our latitude for weather?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, knocker said:

From a contact in Minnesota (Cornish migration) yesterday

A snow storm came through yesterday, and now the cold front that followed has a forecast of minus 21 F overnight (-29C).

(We are so lucky over here to miss all this)

Min.jpg

The nearest we get to a snowball comes in a glass with a slice of lemon

Posted

Terrible updates for January this evening. If some lucky few see some flakes this weekend that will likely be it until late Feb when the PV starts to weaken

Whether its low sun cycles or large Siberian snow cover, it means nothing for these islands.

5 hours ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Probably odds on that it will be 4 winters in a row without a nationwide cold/snowy spell, surely we live in the most boring location at our latitude for weather?

We do. New york had more snow in one day last Year ......3 feet ........than Hampshire has had in the last 40 years combined. That does not include the other snow storms they got that Year.

• Like 1

Posted

Hey guys, did you know that the Sahara desert is hotter than New York? It's crazy man. 

Posted

December 2015: "I don't think any winter month could annoy winter weather enthusiasts more than I have."

December 2016: "Hold my drink..."

Edited by Gord
  • Like 3