Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

my 'guess' on the zonality challenge is late Jan! we may get a few days higher pressure to end it, Jan 26th! before it resumes early Feb

Feb is usually the driest month of the year, so I'll go for a high pressure-dominated Feb. In recent years, only Feb 2011 was wet. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, cheese said:

Feb is usually the driest month of the year, so I'll go for a high pressure-dominated Feb. In recent years, only Feb 2011 was unsettled. 

hope so! I remember a very wet day last year on 17th half term, but a lot of dry days

Posted
2 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

You hit the Christmas cherry early this year?

The weather doesn't care about our opinions? Then why the hell are we all here? 

What a stupid thing to say 

Ben you do seem quite cross about people having views that aren't the same as yours.  Are you suggesting we are all here because the weather does care about our opinions?

BTW, hitting a Christmas cherry seems a bit unfair - pick on fruit your own size next time:D

Posted
4 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

As is a good swathe of Turkey. Gets absolutely frigid there, check this out.

gfseu-9-6.png

Turkey is an odd country. Only the coastal west and south of the country get the good weather. The rest is all over the place. Cold, wet and generally nasty other than the peak of summer.

• Like 1

Posted

Fab rainfall figures here over past decade:

2007 57mm

2008 16mm

2009 24mm

2010 53mm

2011 74mm

2012 6mm

2013 17mm

2014 49mm

2015 17mm

2016 39mm

Feb definitely one of the best months if you hate rain like I do!

Posted

Where for cheese? thought Feb '14 was fairly wet, not as wet as Dec, Jan though, Feb '98 I quite liked, dry mostly

cheese, you Leedslad on TWO? agree I hate rain too

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
44 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Where for cheese? thought Feb '14 was fairly wet, not as wet as Dec, Jan though, Feb '98 I quite liked, dry mostly

cheese, you Leedslad on TWO? agree I hate rain too

Church Fenton, closest weather station to me. Feb 2014 was wetter than average but not too bad really.

And yes that's me.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Because all the Models are all over the place and still to a degree a little uncertain as to how things pan out. My bet is snow Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and St Stephens Day courtesy of a Northerly. It doesnt show yet but hey it will

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Brave call there DOdo, hope your right!:hi:

Posted

If i see a post suggesting EC 46,monthly or seasonal is going for height rises to the north  soon i think i will chuck the laptop through the window! :wallbash:

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Bets on the blues and purples over Greenland changing to yellows and oranges in time for summer.

Nailed on...

well April, when the PV etc dies down

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

LOL local radio station just announced no white Christmas for NW England going to be mild with temperature up to 12c WTF yes white Christmas away from high ground unlikely,but 12c don't think so,most charts I have seen suggest around the 7c range.

C.S

Posted

For the posts about cold zonality recently, I've already seen snow this season, this set up gave up to 2 inches above 200m in the Black Down Hills in Devon/Somerset as showers clumped together in a WNW flow with uppers only around -4C. Falling snow was reported from lower towns such as Tiverton and Honiton

CFSR_1_2016111806_2.png

and that was Mid November, so cold zonality or PM air can deliver some wintry interest even if it's not that common to lower levels down here. Beggars can't be choosers and all that. 
The SE is more sheltered from this wind direction as with a northerly/NNW flow so doesn't get the showers so much.

21 hours ago, snowray said:

No you dont, just take a trip to Italy, Turin could be pretty snowy this week.:santa-emoji:

dicembre-neve-31216_0.jpg

ciclone-di-natale-171216.jpg

I think that must be old as I can't see much in the way of <0C uppers for Italy or anything snowy looking

15 hours ago, Seasonality said:

As is a good swathe of Turkey. Gets absolutely frigid there, check this out.

gfseu-9-6.png

Yeah it's one of those things that make it seem more frustrating for us though most of Turkey is mountainous and pretty elevated so it's not really comparable to a lowland island
Turkey_topo.jpg

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Most depressing tweet ever just appeared by the met office. Last widespread snow event in uk Christmas 2010 :cray:

IMG_4202.JPG

properly depressing stuff

• Like 2

Posted

I'm not bothered anymore, we all know it's not going to snow for xmas and that's all that mattered to me, another xmas not feeling seasonal it's very much the norm for the uk unfortunately. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spikey M said:

Turkey is an odd country. Only the coastal west and south of the country get the good weather. The rest is all over the place. Cold, wet and generally nasty other than the peak of summer.

Spain and France are often cold too with Snow whilst we have cool drizzle. I recall the Paris snow storm of five Years ago and uk was mild with drizzle. Three Months later France had heat wave for 4 Months and we were Cool and wet.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Tonyinhampshire said:

Christmas is over!

2 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

LOL local radio station just announced no white Christmas for NW England going to be mild with temperature up to 12c WTF yes white Christmas away from high ground unlikely,but 12c don't think so,most charts I have seen suggest around the 7c range.

C.S

Lol even derby had the same. 

Posted

I was genuinely saddened by the passing of summer this year as it was decent and protracted.  I knew that winter will bring months of nothingness ... which is holding true to form so far ...

Despite our hopes, we all know that Christmas is usually grey and green.  Lots of ramping forecasts, falling by the wayside

Posted

From a contact in Minnesota (Cornish migration) yesterday

A snow storm came through yesterday, and now the cold front that followed has a forecast of minus 21 F overnight (-29C).

(We are so lucky over here to miss all this)

Min.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Each to their own off course but i just dont get this desire amongst some member's to see hurricane force winds sweep across the country on xmas day of all days!

Storm force winds are just bad news,end of.

I for one hope the worst of the weather stays out in the atlantic this christmas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 hours ago, knocker said:

From a contact in Minnesota (Cornish migration) yesterday

A snow storm came through yesterday, and now the cold front that followed has a forecast of minus 21 F overnight (-29C).

(We are so unlucky over here to miss all this)

Min.jpg

I wouldn't mind a bit of that.. I corrected your last sentence:p