Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima winter 2016-2017 season

damianslaw

Posted

Surprised there isn't such a thread, usually one has started by now. Alas given we have probably the coldest night of the season ahead so far, with some spots in the Highlands possibly getting close to -10 degrees. 

Please use the thread to record:

-predictions of lowest minima for the season ahead and where

-recordings of low minima - a running track of the lowest minima

Would be good to know what is the lowest minima so far this month.

My prediction for lowest value of the season is Altnaharra at -19 degrees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Ok I'll have a crack at Braemar being -22 probably late Dec early Jan.....if only

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

-5C recorded last night at my little AWS at just over 400 metres above sea-level near Alston in Cumbria: I expect something a bit colder than the -6C which is the lowest it got last winter, I'm going for -9C during one of the cold frosty spells I predict for Jan/Feb 2017, but nothing lower. I am not actually expecting a severe winter!

Edited by iapennell

Posted

Easily the lowest min of the season so far last night recorded, -12.1 in Balmoral preety good going for this stage in the season. Coldest November min since 2010.

Scotland has been notably cold these past few days, and consistently cold mins are expected. Expecting the Nov mean for Scotland to be notably low.

• Like 1

Posted

Resurrecting once again, but feel this thread is perhaps defunct as people are using the regionals to report minima. Still it would be good to keep it alive as a running check against where we are currently at.

Good chance the lowest min of the season so far will be recorded tonight. What is the lowest value so far? 

Posted
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Resurrecting once again, but feel this thread is perhaps defunct as people are using the regionals to report minima. Still it would be good to keep it alive as a running check against where we are currently at.

Good chance the lowest min of the season so far will be recorded tonight. What is the lowest value so far? 

Braemar recorded -12.1*C last week.

• Like 1

Posted

-4.2C here this morning, the lowest since 17 January 2013 when -6.1 C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Current temp -12.5c. Clear blue skies. Wind lighter. Min last night -14c.

C

Posted

The first really cold night for southern England. Some of the lowest;

Pershore (31 m)-7.0 °C

Gatwick Airport (62 m)-6.0 °C

Shobdon (99 m)-6.0 °C

Farnborough (64 m)-6.0 °C

Woburn (89 m)-6.0 °C

RAF Odiham (118 m)-6.0 °C

Capel Curig (215 m)-6.0 °C

Cairngorms (1245 m)-6.0 °C

Credenhill (76 m)-6.0 °C

Leeming (32 m)-6.0 °C

Shawbury (72 m)-6.0 °C

Bala (163 m)-6.0 °C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I'd say that GFS chart looks way off - we're below -1 already here and Farnborough is showing -4.

Yup already -3.7c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

-4,3c coldest of the current season:cold:

C.S

Posted

Current lows;

Shobdon (99 m)-6.0 °C

RAF Odiham (118 m)-6.0 °C

Gatwick Airport (62 m)-6.0 °C

Hawarden (9 m)-6.0 °C

Bala (163 m)-6.0 °C

Leeming (32 m)-6.0 °C

Farnborough (64 m)-6.0 °C

Cairngorms (1245 m)-6.0 °C

Shawbury (72 m)-6.0 °C

Capel Curig (215 m)-6.0 °

No snow cover means dropping to -10c will be very difficult but is a small possibility. Happened in January 2009. -7 to -11c quite widely in the south despite no snow. It even got to as low as -12c in Benson and Chesham. These are probably the lowest attainable in southern England without the cover of snow.

Posted

A minimum of -5.8 in our garden this morning and -8.2 at Benson. So far the coldest place last night looks like Sennybridge at -9.5. I'll have to look back through my records - I think last night beat 2010 so probably the coldest November night we've had since I moved to Reading in 2002.

Edited by Stargazer

• 1 month later...
Posted

Apt time to take a check on things..

Is -12.1 degrees still the lowest min of the season so far?

What is the lowest min in England and Wales so far, S Farnborough got down to -8.5 degrees. 

In an average winter, normally expect somewhere in England to drop below -10 degrees.

Would be good to know low mins of recent years. To get -15 degrees or below requires a deep cold pool, something we have had very little of so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just to note that -20 deg has only been breached in 2 years in the last 20 years  whereas the previous 20 years yielded 9 times and all but one of them were colder than the two recently .

Posted
4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Apt time to take a check on things..

Is -12.1 degrees still the lowest min of the season so far?

What is the lowest min in England and Wales so far, S Farnborough got down to -8.5 degrees. 

In an average winter, normally expect somewhere in England to drop below -10 degrees.

Would be good to know low mins of recent years. To get -15 degrees or below requires a deep cold pool, something we have had very little of so far.

That may well be the lowest this winter season so far for England but -9.0c was recorded at Benson on November 30th.

Posted
10 hours ago, Optimus Prime said:

That may well be the lowest this winter season so far for England but -9.0c was recorded at Benson on November 30th.

Yes and the -12.1 degrees in Scotland was recorded on 20 November. Pity the cold conditions in the latter half of November couldn't have arrived a month later. I remember thinking the 23-26 Nov period had it occured a month later would have brought a super christmas snowy cold frosty spell. Alas the complete opposite occured.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Oh dear what a wimper of a winter season in terms of cold minima - this thread never got going, indeed many recorded there coldest night of the season in November!.. 

Would be good to compare how the lowest min this season compared with those of recent years.. if -9 degrees was the absolute min low in England and Wales that is a notably high - low min so to speak.

Tonight looks a cold one for the Highlands - might somewhere get down to -10 degrees, equalling one of the coldest nights of the season.

April can still pack a cold punch, but very outside chance we haven't hit our lowest min of the season.

I hopeful next season will see such a thread gain far more activity. I really feel this winter never happened.. it was so benign, the most benign since 91/92 a complete snooze fest.

Posted

Oh well, I'll reply to myself. Last night got down to -9 degrees I think in the Highlands, not sure where, and could see a repeat tonight.

Friday night looks like delivering a widespread air frost for northern inland parts, and quite likely Saturday night too.. 

• Like 1