Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Angus - the first named storm of the season

Paul

Posted

Peak wind gust of 143 km/hr at Cap Hague on French coast, and sustained 68 knots for a ship west of the Greenwich Lightship which has similar gusts and strong sustained winds. This is not the same ship that had the 67 knot winds earlier near Cherbourg. Is there a ferry between Shoreham and Le Havre? The ship now experiencing the hurricane force winds is apparently moving SSW across the Channel. I hope they can weather the storm.

North of about Salisbury to Reading to Norwich, winds will remain northeast and peak gusts of 60-80 km/hr may develop but 40-60 will be more prevalent, the stronger winds above 80 km/hr in gusts will only be south of the low track which currently looks like being south of Oxford to about Stansted and Norwich. Extreme wind gusts can be expected to develop soon along the Sussex and Kent coasts.

Snow in the Pennines may be heavy (10-20 cm) as far north as south Lancs then would fall off gradually to 1-3 cm amounts in the Lake District.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Currently out along the Kent coastline, a lot of small branches down and a fair amount of sea foam blowing around. winds have picked up dramatically in the past 5 mins, I'd guess 60+ gusts fairly easily now. 

Plenty of roads starting to flood too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Since there isn't a lot being reported on here right now - 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Wow - what a night! Looking at the Jersey Met wind speed data from St Helier Harbour, the strongest mean recorded at sea level was around 54 knots (62mph) and the highest gust recorded at sea level was around 75 knots (86mph). It will be interesting to find out what they recorded at Jersey Airport which is more elevated ...

Jersey Met Data - Angus 19.11.16.jpg

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted

Extreme wind gusts being reported in the Channel south of Brighton, gusts to 155 km/hr at Greenwich Light Ship.

Radar shows squall line racing east through Kent.

Wind damage seems likely in east Sussex and Kent, consider taking cover if awoken by sounds of wind damage, rather than venturing out or looking through south-west facing windows, flying projectile risk in the darkness of pre-dawn. 

(not kidding, this looks very potent on both radar and satellite from Shoreham east, inland extent may be limited to South Downs)

Low centre appears to be about 30 miles southwest of Heathrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/ancient-tree-blocks-busy-plymouth-road-as-storm-angus-batters-city/story-29919146-detail/story.html

Looks like one of the big oaks has gone from Stoke Damerel church in Devonport. That's quite a sheltered spot in a small valley and I'd expect it must have gone around 8pm when the winds here were pretty vicious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

I slept throught the worst of it last night (although it was raining with the occasional gust before I went to sleep). I woke up just now to the power being off! I'm not sure how bad it got, but I wasn't expecting disruption to power

Posted

Just woken up - storm has passed here and all garden furniture still in position. So guessing it wasn't that bad here. Max gusts near here seem around 55knts so again, not that serious here. Sheltered IOW on a SWly!

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Non event on SE coast. I recorded 60mph once with elevation.

The max gusts back this up as at the higher end on Net weather extra.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Some pointers from here.

Tree down in Devonport ( as above) - Paradise Road opposite Devonport High for Boys.

Royal Parade Christmas lights down affecting buses.

A379 flooding between Yealmpton and Ermington.

Flooding in Plymouth at Lipson Vale, Wolesey Road, A374 Embankment inbound to City Centre, St Levens Road by Dockyard gates.

Certainly the rain hit us worst.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

In contrast to coastal and Channel Island locations, a very quiet night here with light winds, the main issue was heavy rain. Not much wind even now it has swung to the NW. Expecting an increase soon though.

Posted

As a channel coast location myself, I can report nothing exceptional  or indeed troublesome in terms of wind,standard winter fare.

The worst of the gusts mid channel,Northern France and Channel Isles.

If Angus had tracked a little further North........

English mainland Custs at their highest with Culdrose( Cornwall) 62mph equaled with Shoreham (Sussex)62mph. 

Edited by sunnijim

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hardly any wind of note in south London, looks like the low tracked on a more southerly track than models suggested yesterday. Most seem to exit centre of low over E Anglia rather than the actual exit around Thames Estuary/ N Kent, so strong winds confined to Channel and immediate S coast.

20161120.0735.PPVA89.png

Picked up a lot of rain overnight though here, 31mm at nearby Kenley in 12hrs.

Peak gusts overnight of 84mph Guernsey Airport, 74mph at Jersey Airport, 68mph Langdon Bay in Kent (exposed), 62mph at Shoreham on Sussex coast and also Isle of Portland in Dorset (exposed): not really that remarkable for exposed mainland coasts, Channel Isles worst off.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&DATE=1479614400&CONT=euro&LAND=UK&KEY=UK&SORT=3&UD=0&INT=12&TYP=windspitzen&ART=tabelle&RUBRIK=akt&R=310&CEL=C&SI=mph

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like Northern France took the brunt of #stormangus with gust of 105mph on Cherbourg Peninsula and 91mph at Cap Gris Nez near Calais, for example.

Cxr_V9HXEAA4x-g.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Just a bog standard autumn storm it seems if it were up here! Still though, 80mph and some flooding is nothing to be sniffed at. I envy a few people that beared the brunt :nonono:

Posted
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Just woken up - storm has passed here and all garden furniture still in position. So guessing it wasn't that bad here. Max gusts near here seem around 55knts so again, not that serious here. Sheltered IOW on a SWly!

Yup,  nothing more than a bog standard gale.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

My power has been back on for a while now, but a couple of houses over the road were out for longer. It looks as if a telegraph pole may have been damaged, but luckily was fixable

Edited by Jcweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Did just shy of 100 miles along the Kent coast this morning. Counted 9  large trees down, 2 power lines down, numerous large branches, 30+ snapped estate agent signs and a trampoline on top of a bungalow :rofl: A fair amount of surface flooding around, rivers just beginning to rise in response to the rain. 
Not a bad little storm, look forward to the next !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
4 hours ago, <<Ryan>> said:

trampoline on top of a bungalow

Oh how I wish there was a picture of this!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

That was an interesting storm system, still giving us gusty winds over here, but what a day. Just back from a cycle ride in 16c. It must be the Foehn effect around them there hills. Some big trees down after last night's winds, one road must have been blocked for a time as folks had been out and cut up a large fallen tree, and there are lots and lots of leaves about with the roads disappearing under them in places. Mother Nature's pruning tools have well and truly been out...

• Like 1