Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Angus - the first named storm of the season

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Already quite blowy here. Could be one of those storms that is worse than initially predicted.

As a veteran of the Storm of '87, this appears to be set for a similar track. 

I wish I was there. Perhaps this is going to be the ONE?

All the indications seem to be that the predicted severity is being upped hour by hour. This certainly has the potential to be worse than predicted

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
3 hours ago, Slysi100 said:

Anyone got any decent streaming webcam links for the south east? Would be interested in watching the storm later from the comfort of the sofa :-) 

Bournemouth beach: http://www.urbanreef.com/surf-reef-webcam.html

HMS Warrior, Portsmouth:http://www.hmswarrior.org/webcam

• Like 1

If this storm does turn nasty, the MET is playing it too cool. What is the use of issuing a red warning at 3am when everyone is in bed, they should be doing it now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

Barometer now 984mb - fallen 4mb in last hour. Rain heavy now and wind increasing.

Centre of storm now SW of Cornwall 972mb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, nwextremeweather said:

If this storm does turn nasty, the MET is playing it too cool. What is the use of issuing a red warning at 3am when everyone is in bed, they should be doing it now

This doesn't qualify for a red warning. Yes, it will get nasty down on the Kent & Sussex coasts, but we're not in the same territory as '87.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, katemart said:

Here's a nice one from the pier: http://www.sortedsurfshop.co.uk/webcam_bournemouth

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It doesn't mess up anything if you use a modern and up to date browser. :)

If the 'bug was sorted, I wouldn't have to,but I take your point:)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

This doesn't qualify for a red warning. Yes, it will get nasty down on the Kent & Sussex coasts, but we're not in the same territory as '87.

I beg to differ...

'Centre of storm now SW of Cornwall 972mb'....it qualifies on that score alone for a red warning. But also because of the regions due to be impacted. The warning needs to take account of travel disruption likely as well population numbers due to be affected.

Posted
3 minutes ago, nwextremeweather said:

I beg to differ...

'Centre of storm now SW of Cornwall 972mb'....it qualifies on that score alone for a red warning. But also because of the regions due to be impacted. The warning needs to take account of travel disruption likely as well population numbers due to be affected.

Central pressure that low, doesn't mean the winds are stronger, or make it qualify for a red warning. It is down to the pressure gradients and how tightly the isobars are packed, particularly on the southern flank.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Check out the live weather data feed from the Jersey Met site paying particular attention to the wind speed at St Helier Harbour. They're expecting the worst of Angus between 23:00 and 03:00, a very similar time of impact to the 87 affair which caused unprecedented damage here. That said, the 87 storm blew from a direct southerly direction whereas the worst of Angus is expected to be from the SW which will potentially be our saving grace due to the islands geographical representation including terrain and physical factors of the environment.

http://www.gov.je/Weather/Pages/Live-Weather-data.aspx

Edited by Fitzwis
  • Like 1

Posted

Absolutely minging here! Rain and wind both picked up a lot the past couple of hours.

Have to say I think it is going to be decidedly nasty further to the east along the coast. It's certainly worse here than I was expecting this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my imagination or is this thing shaped a bit like Australia? at least on rain today, washout for me tomorrow, the 'perth' bit is mine tomorrow all day

Posted
1 hour ago, chionomaniac said:

Already quite blowy here. Could be one of those storms that is worse than initially predicted.

Yes already has the feel here of one of those storms from 2014 and it's hours before the peak. Really wish I'd put the kids toys in the shed - come to think of it, hope I still have a shed in the morning. Got complacent after the quiet autumn so far. And good to see you on here Chino!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

As at 22:25 

IMG_1414.PNG

Expecting it around midnight-ish

IMG_1411.PNG

Edited by Jcweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Old Fashioned Traditional Seasons

980mb now - fall of 8mb in one hour. Very heavy rain and strong winds. Temp falling - 7.8C

Rain totals would seem to be the issue in West Country, Wind strength more of an issue along the eastern channel coast overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
33 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

my imagination or is this thing shaped a bit like Australia? at least on rain today, washout for me tomorrow, the 'perth' bit is mine tomorrow all day

Wouldn't the "Perth bit" be Sting Jet / Tornado curl producing territory? 

Posted

Oh my oh my, I've really not given this enough attention. Just looked at latest AROME, 120-130km gusts hitting the west Solent coast by 2am, then spreading all up the rest of the channel coast. 130-140km gusts almost reaching IOW, which is the threshold beyond which things turn really dangerous.

• Like 4

Posted

Really nasty gusts of wind about 15 min ago accompanied by torrential rain. Now it's gone really quiet out there! I wonder which part of the storm went though just then?

Rainfall will almost certainly be an issue down here, will have to see how bad it is by the morning.