Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Recommendations for winter sports areas for beginners

ArHu3

Posted

Hi would like to have some recommendations for winter sports areas for beginners (lots of easy and moderate pistes). Preferably an area which is kids friendly (and therefore apres-ski is a liitle bit less important:( ), has many options for different activities , lots of guaranteed snow and reasonable prices. Last year we went to the Zugspitz arena in Austria and we really enjoyed it there but I would like to know if there are other areas which might be even better. I think we like the Austrian "gemütlichkeit" too

Edited by ArHu3

Posted

Avoriaz is a good place for this, with plenty for everyone and things like the water park in the village. Morzine is also good, although for a beginner the slopes aren't quite as accessible. 

Pretty much anywhere in the three valleys would be good, as they all have easier slopes close to the villages - val thorens has a magic carpet and very shallow slopes literally on the doorstep to most of the hotels. I'm not too up on Austria and have only been to Obergurgl, but would definitely recommend it, and from what I can remember there are beginners slopes near the village. 

• 2 months later...
Posted

Try Ruka in Finland. It's amazing and totally oriented towards less experienced and new skiers. Don't worry about the cold it's easy to deal with it.

Self cater and it's not expensive either. We went two winters ago with Crystal so my wife could have a go after 20+ years. We also had a side trip mushing and you can't do that in many places!