Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

19th/20th November 1996 deep depression and snow

Weather-history

Posted

A deepening depression (down to 960mb) tracked across southern areas of the UK and as it engaged the colder airmass present gave snowfalls along its northern flank across parts of Wales, Midlands and northern England, several inches across higher parts. Forecasts suggest that it underestimated the amounts of snow. It snowed here that morning although it was a on a wet side there was a temporary covering

Rrea00119961120.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It looks to me as if the forecasts primarily underestimated how far north the system would get, and thus the extent of interaction with the cold Arctic air mass that had moved south the previous day.  In coastal Tyne and Wear there was only rain and sleet from the system, due to the winds coming in off the North Sea, but east-coast snow showers brought a covering late on the 20th, in the showery northerly flow that followed.  Snow showers also affected many western areas overnight 22nd/23rd, and frontal snow fell widely on the 24th, and the 25th-30th, while still below average, were not quite as cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes WH, this was one of my favourite events, my snowiest day for years, probably matched by Jan 18th 2013 and 22-24 Mar '13

Posted

I was in Newcastle on the 18/19th and remember heavy sleety wet snow showers and a bitter northerly wind, but don't recall any cover. I do remember the frontal snowfall on the 24th it gave a cover here in Windermere but it didn't last too long. It was a decent early wintry spell for the time of year. The following weeks were generally average or cold, indeed it never got much above average save the odd short spell early-mid Dec until about the 11 January. One of those winters with a cold first half followed by a much milder second half, much like winters of 81/82, 10/11 but not nearly as severe in terms of depth of cold. Coming on the back of the very good cold snowy winter of 95/96 I thought hooray back to cold winters, alas it was not meant to be, and the following winters were very mild and wet.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Funnily enough, I do not remember this at all. I lived in London, and do not remember any significant snow fall other than December 1995 or January 2003.

Posted

I remember this event fairly well. I was in my first year of secondary school and I remember walking up to school in it. When we got there we were all gathered in the assembly hall and after a while it was announced that they were closing for the day. Then I walked back in it and it was fairly deep as well. It was only a one day wonder though as the following night milder air moved in and I could hear the constant dripping of the thawing snow. It was also the only time I was at secondary school that they closed due to snow although I do remember other days later where there was snow. It was a good snow day though, but regrettably I didn't take good advantage of it as I ended up hanging round my next door neighbours house all day and the kid there wasn't interested in playing out in it and he was obsessed with computer games so I ended up playing those with him all day. What a waste of time. Oh well never mind I suppose. I can't believe that was 20 years ago now though.