Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early season snowfalls: November 2001

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

I remember this event vividly. as it surprised me too. white christmas followed for us up North with a pretty cold snowy January. it has much similarities to this autumn. 

• 2 years later...
Posted

Have recollections of this, a potent northerly that delivered some low level snow to many north eastern locations, in the form of showers rather than continuous snowfall. A very biting northerly I seem to remember.

It preceded a relatively cold latter end to 2001, with quite a bit of frost in December and further spells of snow at times, with a very cold frosty end. However, the mild air won back around the 4 / 5 Jan and the rest of the winter was a mild fest. It has similiarities with winter 96/97 and 10/11 in this respect, in that the coldest weather was reserved in the first part of the winter, with the cold losing out to mild in January, though there was nothing especially severe temp wise in Dec 2001 unlike 1996 and most notably 2010 which brought significant cold and much more widespread snow.

Posted

Remember this cold snap well and came as a welcome relief following the warmest October on record, giving me hope for the coming winter.  However, as damianslaw explains above, after a coldish December, the rest of the winter was very mild and snowless.  Although December was on the cold side, I failed to see any snow IMBY and indeed for the whole winter!  This was also the time when I discovered the weather forums namely BBC Snow watch!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I have memories of seeing Bristol harbour frozen during the first week of January 1997, the first such memory I have. Bitingly cold, a dusting of snow around and mainly sunny. It remained a very quiet month thereafter. 

Unfoetunately can’t remember this November 2001 northerly very well, but as said above, the December northerlies were a lot better and gave some snow between Christmas and New Year. 

Posted

Earliest november snowfall here with a few snow showers and a dusting,today is the second earliest,of course end of october 2008 beat all the above.

• 1 month later...