Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

We got another couple inches, temp is minus 1 and husband already been oot playing with the snow shovel.

• Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning cauld Kilties! Well, we were lucky to get a few cm's of snaw yesterday, nothing much to get excited about. A clear sky around 10pm and I knew that was our lot for yesterday. Just had a mini blizzard there for all of 5 minutes and the sky is trying to clear. It was nice while it lasted! Temp currently 1.4c.

• Like 2
    Posted
    4 hours ago, Hawesy said:

<Drum roll>

Ladies and gentlemen, much to my amazement we have about 3cm of snow here at sea level in Broughty Ferry. After a six year wait, I finally have snow on the ground! (Will need to find out about conditions in Crail).

:D:D:D:D:D

This really highlights how poor this spell was for round here but is surely worthy of a further drum roll :yahoo::D:drunk::clap::drinks:

So..... who else got pretty much nothing? Surely not just me and JoeShmoe?

Edited by 101_North
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Woke up around 4.30am and you couldn't see across the road for a powdery blizzard.   Mild sector must have kicked in tho' and removed what had fallen but left me with nearly the same amount as I had yesterday morning.   Not as cold though at 2.7c currently.

Don't think the southeasterners are all that happy by the sounds of it.

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 5
    Posted

Woke to find the covering of snow we did have completely disappeared.     4 degrees and wet.       To be fair,  the Meto forecast was spot on for this area.     Heres hoping its spot on for tonight/tomorrow as we are in for some snow. 

• Like 2
    Posted

Looked VERY promising on radar last night (and indeed after 2 in the morning it was blowing a hoolie) but then a hole appeared...............and got absolutely nothing in the end

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Heavy snow showers rattling through now on a strong wind. Attempting to lie here in Dyce despite the temperature (3C), but what does manage it will melt as soon as it eases off.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Woke up this morning to find the mild sector had done its work to whatever fell overnight. Snawcover fairly trashed and ice everywhere you don't want it.

In the end, really just a typical Scottish cauld snap and all a bit meh here. 

By the sounds of things, the TOORPing Outreach Centre is best avoided this morning...

Currently 2.9C/-2C and some sunshine on the go.  

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, 101_North said:

So..... who else got pretty much nothing? Surely not just me and JoeShmoe?

There was very little in Motherwell - a thin layer of wet snow on most surfaces early yesterday which partially thawed and then froze into a hazardous icy glaze on the pavements.

Have spent most of the time in EK, which has a decent covering, and got to see some thundersnow, so that has made it feel more wintry.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Contrast to @Northern Strath  :rofl:

bin tops.jpg

Heavy sleet and a max of 3C earlier, dropping slowly again and now at 1C. Latest shower was more like snow again although I think DP will be a bit high just yet. Hopefully more showers to come to bury the carnage...

• Like 8
    Posted

Well if we're moving on to trying to find the next 'cold spell' that probably won't be up to much then this mornings GFS 6z run provides us with it....

gfsnh-0-240.png?6  gfs-1-240.png?6

I'm not going to get excited quite yet, if fact given the winter so far I doubt anything much on the models will get me excited unless it looks like 'the day after tomorrow'.

• Like 4
    Posted
    12 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

Snow warnings that were in place for the east coast tomorrow now dropped.     

Still got an ice warning covering most of the UK, which also includes the mention of snow.

"Ice is likely to form on untreated surfaces especially where showers of sleet, snow and hail occur. 2 to 4cm of snow may affect low lying areas of Scotland, with 5 to 10cm over higher ground. Elsewhere, 1 to 2cm is locally possible."

• Like 2
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

Had about 20cms since 5pm last night so the we got a pasting, plenty digging this morning, nice easy snow to shovel, some drifting from snow blowing off the roof. Haven't been out locally yet but will hopefully manage some pics later, bins will do for now

Someone throw  @Hawesy in the model thread, his forecast depth for here by tomorrow is looking pretty bang on

Nothing like a bit of blind luck!:D Besides I think I got it wrong for a few others on the kilted thread!:oops:

Nice day here now. The low dew point is preserving snow cover away from the direct sunshine.

• Like 4
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Nothing like a bit of blind luck!:D Besides I think I got it wrong for a few others on the kilted thread!:oops:

Nice day here now. The low dew point is preserving snow cover away from the direct sunshine.

What was your prediction for me?

Posted
    14 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

What was your prediction for me?

4cm HC. 

I think I overestimated for most folks (except for myself!), in some cases quite badly but it's not Saturday yet and I guess I'm just a natural optimist!

• Like 2
    Posted

Difficult walking out there today with deep snow/slush where drifts formed 20170113_110549.jpg 20170113_110417.jpgBrighter now and back down to 0.5c with skin forming on the wet snow and any puddles.

One of farm tracks begining to have drifts crossing it last night and  a  stormy looking snow shower to the NE 

20170113_112033.jpg

When this lot freezes tonight we are going to be left with a lot of scars of snow for up to a week even it gets fairly mild but Ive seen a ground frost sneak in quickly in light winds and any clear skies at night to preserve it.

Edited by Northernlights
    • Like 8
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Well if we're moving on to trying to find the next 'cold spell' that probably won't be up to much then this mornings GFS 6z run provides us with it....

gfsnh-0-240.png?6  gfs-1-240.png?6

I'm not going to get excited quite yet, if fact given the winter so far I doubt anything much on the models will get me excited unless it looks like 'the day after tomorrow'.

TBF - the GFS had the "cold spell" pretty much spot on, and from way before...

Posted
    10 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

4cm HC. 

I think I overestimated for most folks (except for myself!), in some cases quite badly but it's not Saturday yet and I guess I'm just a natural optimist!

Bwtween 4cm and 5cm here so pretty well spot on :good:

• Like 5
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

TBF - the GFS had the "cold spell" pretty much spot on, and from way before...

@Ravelin is suffering from 'disappointment bias' - I recognise the symptoms all too clearly. Another good NEly blast is what he needs... :air_kiss:

• Like 3