Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
    23 minutes ago, StewieEatWorld said:

How far south are we reckoning this blob will get before fizzling out? 

Also, whats with the feature running down the country later on tonight? I see it on the BBC maps but no mention of it at all in the forecast. 

Capture.PNG

Looks like we're in the firing line. Lamper time! :yahoo:

Temperature is up from -2.4C to -0.4. DP -3C. Cloud is rolling in after a braw clear (full) moonrise earlier on.

Come oan!!!

Edited by Polar Gael
    • Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Somehow this part of Leith managed to catch a talcum powder deep level of snow sometime earlier on (a random shower, if I said it was even 2 millimetres deep I'd be exaggerating). However it has turned the pavements and road surfaces into sheet ice in my local area. As usual not a drop of road grit was deposited despite the forecast.

• Like 3
    Posted

Not a huge amount but more than a dusting. A71 seemed to be a nightmare today. Wish I hadn't been working. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 4
    Posted

I do worry that the feature tonight may bring rain for quite a few areas it hits rather than snow. If it stays as snow then some areas will likely have an overnight blizzard.

Posted

That's the snaw on now and the wind is up, too - looks like a good wee shower on the go. 

Posted

And that's the snaw offski. Another frozen dandruff dusting. Looks like the hills to the north-west took the brunt of it and it was fizzling as it reached us. Typical showery northerly - always a bit hit and miss. On the upside, it's still baltic oot! :good:

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    29 minutes ago, doctormog said:

I do worry that the feature tonight may bring rain for quite a few areas it hits rather than snow. If it stays as snow then some areas will likely have an overnight blizzard.

I'm hoping for the latter obviously. Temp out here currently sat at zero but was slightly lower earlier. Probably not make much of a difference though as it's the uppers that will be marginal. I'd rather not wake up to a covering of frozen slush though. 

Still no real sign of the next front on the radar yet. 

Posted
    Just now, Ravelin said:

Still no real sign of the next front on the radar yet. 

Any idea what time it's due?

Posted

For my location, Aberdeenshire, Moray etc I thought it was around midnight. Unless it's going to be going at a good lick I'd expect to start to see it appear on the radar to the North fairly soon. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, doctormog said:

At a guess, around midnight up here.

I just checked the hi res models and WRF NMM has it at around midnight, ARPEGE at around 2am. Don't think I'll be staying up to see who's right. 

• Like 1
    Posted

Thanks Ravelin and doctormog. I'm travelling down to Dumfries and Castle Douglas first thing ( work). So I'm guessing about 4 am ish down here? I'm too lazy to look properly. Hopefully will make it that far west and be enough for a snow day.:pardon:

Posted

Wind starting to get up here.  Fingers crossed for a snowy top-up.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

There's a slight dusting on the grass in Central Glasgow, a few heavy showers passed through today but none of them lasted.

Quite a heavy one this morning about 8:30 or so which began to lie quite quickly, had it lasted longer it would have left a fair dump of snow. 

Also quite icy here as well. Not too hopeful we'll see any more snow. Everything coming our way seems to fizzle out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It's approaching the north coast now. My guess is it's going to be a snow to sleet to rain job so if you have snow now, get out and enjoy. We have snow at the water's edge here which doesn't happen bla bla. Temp just crept up from 0C to 0.5C in the last hour.

Edit: I misread that. It's dropped to -0.5C, not gone up. Straw clutching!

Edited by Hairy Celt
    • Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's approaching the north coast now. My guess is it's going to be a snow to sleet to rain job so if you have snow now, get out and enjoy. We have snow at the water's edge here which doesn't happen bla bla. Temp just crept up from 0C to 0.5C in the last hour.

It could actually be snow to sleet to rain to sleet to snow for some and just snow for others. Or, knowing my luck a rain to dry scenario here!

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

It was dry & clear with the temperature dropping to -1.3C but it has risen to -0.2C now as a fairly heavy snow shower has got going. Wasn't really expecting any more here. And given that this small band of snow has managed to move southwards over the Highlands into the middle of the central belt here in Grangemouth, does that not suggest that the more organised band overnight could do the same? I've watched many forecasts over the last couple of days and the only two that have mentioned it as a possibility was Christopher Blanchett at tea time yesterday and Sean Batty at tea time today although he said it would just be bits of snow breaking off the main band.

IMG_20170112_210616120.jpg

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    16 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's approaching the north coast now.

Well if that's it, I thought it would have been bigger!  (as the actress said to the bishop!):D   Seriously I think that should be well fizzled out long before it gets anywhere near here?  http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by Blitzen
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Well if that's it, I thought it would have been bigger!  (as the actress said to the bishop!):D   Seriously I think that should be well fizzled out long before it gets anywhere near here?  http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

That's just a the edge of the range of the radar and there will (should?) be a load more to the north out of radar range.

The radar image may give more of a clue http://en.sat24.com/en/eu 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
    28 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Thanks Ravelin and doctormog. I'm travelling down to Dumfries and Castle Douglas first thing ( work). So I'm guessing about 4 am ish down here? I'm too lazy to look properly. Hopefully will make it that far west and be enough for a snow day.:pardon:

Nah bro, doesn't look like it will be south enough, will veer east central belt ish.

Have a covering now, just shows 'get the cold in first' etc.

Admittedly it's a good wind direction for me but all the good showers during the day were non-lying snow/sleet.

1 decentish shower at 3pm helped and then just some tiny flurries have all added up to make everything look snowy (even if the depth is below 1cm, even less than 0.5cm)

Lethal out, i almost went flying as tried to open the bin which was frozen solid and feet went when i pulled hard. Managed not to die, thankfully.

Currently -0.1c

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    4 minutes ago, doctormog said:

That's just a the edge of the range of the radar and there will (should?) be a load more to the north out of radar range.

The radar image may give more of a clue http://en.sat24.com/en/eu 

Ah, I see.....  Now that looks a bit more interesting.   Thanks Doc!:)

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Will no doubt still get killed by the hills but looks great on the sat image....always love when the doc appears....will never forget that Saturday afternoon as he drew our attention to a feature in the north Sea that would become 28 hours of continuous snow over on TWO back in 2010

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Looks like we did no bad here last night/today. Withoot gaun ootside wi a tape measure ah would guess a boot 3 inches deep!

Big Innes

IMG_20170112_212512.jpg

IMG_20170112_212503.jpg

• Like 9