Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
    32 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Nice one! We just missed the worst of that trough so only got some light snow from it. Need to let @CatchMyDrift know about snow in Kilmarnock since its so rare...

Normally when we get snow here there is nothing in Kilmarnock. The band seems to have developed a bit to the south of us. Bright and cold here now.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
    10 minutes ago, Rickoza said:

Big train of snow driving west to east across the south of Scotland, not too far from hear but far enough..........

Intently watching that one! Hoping the Souther Uplands don't kill this one for me... 

Posted

Serious straw clutching now but the Met have extended their warning area for today's showers to include Edinburgh - only just though! 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Think there was a couple of snow showers during the night but didn't really lie although it was icy. Then had a snow shower just after 8 which gave a very slight dusting but that was gone by half 10. Another snow shower has just started now but the flakes are very small as they have been for all the showers that I've seen, so they have obviously weakened a lot as they have pushed west. Think this might be the last one of the day too before the wind turns more northerly and I get sheltered from the showers. 

Is there anyone near Clydebank who can tell me what it is like there? I have a a football match there on Saturday on grass and have a feeling it will be off

Posted

Just a tiny bit too warm now for it to settle but it's back on again here too

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

You'd think I was living in a different country looking at all the photos. Still almost cloudless here and virtually calm. Temp up to 2.9C so probably pointless if a shower did make it across this far.

Looking at forecasts for tonight, I'm tempering my expectations hugely. Looks like it'll be just the wrong side of marginal here and I'm more likely to wake up to puddles than a covering of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side
    9 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

You'd think I was living in a different country looking at all the photos. Still almost cloudless here and virtually calm. Temp up to 2.9C so probably pointless if a shower did make it across this far.

Looking at forecasts for tonight, I'm tempering my expectations hugely. Looks like it'll be just the wrong side of marginal here and I'm more likely to wake up to puddles than a covering of snow.

It almost always seems to be marginal affairs in recent times but I'm encouraged by the Met office warning update: "A further 2-5 cm of snow is likely away from immediate exposed coasts"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Heavy snow, 1c

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    13 minutes ago, GoldenJackel said:

It almost always seems to be marginal affairs in recent times but I'm encouraged by the Met office warning update: "A further 2-5 cm of snow is likely away from immediate exposed coasts"

The warning texts for later today, and even into Sat, do give more cause for hope than most of the forecasts I've looked at. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    8 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

The warning texts for later today, and even into Sat, do give more cause for hope than most of the forecasts I've looked at. Fingers crossed.

Damn them and their exposed coasts!

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

kids were so excited at a dusting im actually considering throwing the toys out the pram as I cant imagine how excited they would get by enough to get the sledge out...

the feature that appeared on the euros this morning as bang over us at 8pm does not fit with the warnings ceasing at 8pm

then again maybe a good thing given recent non events when warnings are given

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    1 minute ago, scottish skier said:

Mrs SS is reporting 3-4 cm of snaw at the house.

And there's naff all here at work, W. Embra.:nonono:

Ah. That'll explain the silence from youngest HC.  He's borrowed my snow-dome and is having a trial run - he's fired it up on Princes St.,  mile radius. 

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Sporadic snaw showers continued overnight but only a bare dusting stuck. Pepped up at first light and became more prolonged, so we now have a decent covering - but that is all.

Underwhelmed by this first snaw shot of 2017 so far. Cauld right enough, so whatever falls should stick. 0.2C/-2C

Snow - 12.i.2017 - 2.jpg

Snow - 12.i.2017 - 3.jpg

Snow - 12.i.2017 - 4.jpg

Snow 12.i.2017 - 5.jpg

• Like 3
    Posted
    21 minutes ago, edo said:

kids were so excited at a dusting im actually considering throwing the toys out the pram as I cant imagine how excited they would get by enough to get the sledge out...

the feature that appeared on the euros this morning as bang over us at 8pm does not fit with the warnings ceasing at 8pm

then again maybe a good thing given recent non events when warnings are given

Same here - the kids were delighted to see the pathetic sprinkling this morning - it really was nothing. I thought last year was bad but I honestly think this year could trump it!!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
    5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Same here - the kids were delighted to see the pathetic sprinkling this morning - it really was nothing. I thought last year was bad but I honestly think this year could trump it!!  

ridiculously this is better than last year...not even a dusting last year....had a 2 inch fall last year that melted before could get out in it to play

Posted
    11 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Heavy snow shower, roads covered in 5mins. Off out for a drive...

Passing over here too. Pretty heavy mix of mix of snow, graupel and hail. Shower activity seems to be picking up a wee bit again for here.

Edited by JamesM
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

I love it when I'm wrong. Heaviest snow shower yet right now and it's starting to lie

IMG_20170112_134612444_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170112_134617362_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170112_134828881.jpg

• Like 4
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, spindrift1980 said:

Thundersnow here in East Kilbride!  A flash of lightning just there and the place seems to have disappeared in a great cloud of white.

Also here.

• Like 3