Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
    3 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Have a wee lookie at this animation, may cheer you up a bit.
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snow;sess=

The snow level on that animation is generally about 200-300m above sea level away from the most inland/central Highland parts, though, so suspect it will largely be a non-event for low ground.  Hoping to be wrong though!

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
    18 minutes ago, spindrift1980 said:

The snow level on that animation is generally about 200-300m above sea level away from the most inland/central Highland parts, though, so suspect it will largely be a non-event for low ground.  Hoping to be wrong though!

These attempts at reverse psychology on the weather, despite your best efforts, will not bear any fruit :p As always, it's near impossible to accurately forecast this kind of weather. Think back 7 years just before Christmas time, who would have thought that weather front would have stalled right across the whole of central Scotland and given over a foot of snow for some! Just enjoy the prospect, it's certainly better than anything we've even had a sniff of in the last couple of years. Furthermore, the models are suggesting a more prolonged period of cold and with that some more shots at the elusive snowflakes; so to summarise it's quite a good time for cold/snow lovers if we put it in context with the last couple of years.

• Like 4
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

These attempts at reverse psychology on the weather, despite your best efforts, will not bear any fruit :p As always, it's near impossible to accurately forecast this kind of weather. Think back 7 years just before Christmas time, who would have thought that weather front would have stalled right across the whole of central Scotland and given over a foot of snow for some! Just enjoy the prospect, it's certainly better than anything we've even had a sniff of in the last couple of years. Furthermore, the models are suggesting a more prolonged period of cold and with that some more shots at the elusive snowflakes; so to summarise it's quite a good time for cold/snow lovers if we put it in context with the last couple of years.

It's not reverse psychology, just good old-fashioned Scottish pessimism!

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
    1 minute ago, spindrift1980 said:

It's not reverse psychology, just good old-fashioned Scottish pessimism!

I'm not sure if that's Scottish, or Lanarkshire! :rofl:

Spoiler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

This sort of thing drives me up the wall - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-38586981

Seriously - it would be different if there weren't warnings for severe weather - but there is, and have been for days.  Why do people persist in going "oh well, we'll just go anyway"

:wallbash:

• Like 6
    Posted

Well temp has taken a dive down to 1C and snaw flurries keep passing through, wet slush mess now building on my dustbins.

Edited by Cheggers
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

I hear tale its been snowing in Blairgowrie, but only rain here. Temp still at about 3C  :nonono: 

Is it snowing in Stirling? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

Tomorrow night looks like a decent shout for snow and I'm quite confident of being thigh deep in snow drifts up the hills near me on Saturday when I've got my boys down visiting. This set up is very similar to what we had at this time last year, but that time it was a snow to rain to snow event at my house. Up the hill it was epic snow, so I'll settle for not much at home if a ten minute drive away there's loads of snow. Here's a few charts for tomorrow night and make no mistake someone is getting utterly buried. Yes it may only be a mountain goat which gets buried but someone will be happy as there's a proper 60mph snow blizzard coming :) IMG_1714.PNGIMG_1715.PNGIMG_1716.PNGIMG_1717.PNGIMG_1718.PNGIMG_1719.PNGIMG_1720.PNG

Edit: And here we go, 16th January last year at about 300m above sea level. The photos I have of the big drifts all have my kids in them so I'm keeping them to myself :) 

IMG_1721.JPGIMG_1722.JPGIMG_1723.JPG

There wasn't that much snow but enough for good drifts and a whole load of fun.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    • Like 5
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

This sort of thing drives me up the wall - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-38586981

Seriously - it would be different if there weren't warnings for severe weather - but there is, and have been for days.  Why do people persist in going "oh well, we'll just go anyway"

Ben Lomond is (unfortunately) along with Ben Nevis, and to a lesser extent The Cobbler and some of the other most well-known hills, a magnet for people who treat the hills and weather casually.  These are the kind of conditions in the Highlands today (albeit on a 4,000-footer, a good bit higher than Ben Lomond), from a video on the Scottish Avalanche Information Service website.  Anyone who goes to the higher hills today needs their head examined (although I'm hoping to go up a hill of some kind on Saturday!!) I walked to East Kilbride town centre at lunch time in a short-lived sleet blizzard and that was harsh enough! 

Edited by spindrift1980
    • Like 3
    Posted

Thanks @spindrift1980 I like snow as much as the next guy - but seriously - who really enjoys being in *that* -

"let's go to the hills, we'll get frostbite, we may lose some limbs and succumb to hypothermia - we won't actually be able to talk to each other and breathing will be difficult - but let's go anyway - because it will be fun"

..... and the Darwin award goes to......

• Like 3
    Posted
    22 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

£20 the group is from England.

• Like 2
    Posted

Going to the hills in winter conditions CAN be fun if you use your head to choose a suitable time, but there are days where you just need to say that it's not a hill day, and (as you say) it's not as though today's conditions haven't been well forecast and advertised!

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Norrona2015 said:

£20 the group is from England.

Knowing Ben Lomond, it could just as easily be a Glaswegian jeans and trainers and bottle of Irn Bru expedition!

• Like 5
    Posted
    1 minute ago, spindrift1980 said:

Going to the hills in winter conditions CAN be fun if you use your head to choose a suitable time, but there are days where you just need to say that it's not a hill day, and (as you say) it's not as though today's conditions haven't been well forecast and advertised!

Exactly - and if I was in to that sort of thing - I'm pretty sure that seeing Cairngorm had recorded a 125mph gust overnight - would be enough to convince me that today was not the sort of the day to go hill climbing - yes it's not the same hill, but it gives you an idea of the wind speeds much higher up. Maybe common sense isn't free anymore - are they taxing it now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    18 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Exactly - and if I was in to that sort of thing - I'm pretty sure that seeing Cairngorm had recorded a 125mph gust overnight - would be enough to convince me that today was not the sort of the day to go hill climbing - yes it's not the same hill, but it gives you an idea of the wind speeds much higher up. Maybe common sense isn't free anymore - are they taxing it now?

Thatcher stole it along with free school milk :rofl:

• Like 7
    Posted
    20 minutes ago, spindrift1980 said:

Knowing Ben Lomond, it could just as easily be a Glaswegian jeans and trainers and bottle of Irn Bru expedition!

I reckon whoever they are they should be billed for Mountain Rescues time, considering the warnings in place.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
    2 hours ago, edo said:

Is it lying at all?

No, not yet. Bit more of a wintry mix this afternoon, but hopefully they'll pep up again overnight. Currently 2.3C/-2C. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    26 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Eh?

Most likely, but not always, it's people who have traveled a distance who end up going out in dodgy conditions. The "we're already here so might as well give it a go" crowd. Those who live closer to the hills usually look at the forecast and don't bother cos it's easy to do it some other day. Whomever it was, the more sensible decision this morning would have been "sod it, let's go to the pub".

Personally, on a day like today, and it's probably more benign here than in the West, I'd not even have taken a wander up my local hill. I know that like the back of my hand too and could navigate it in a whiteout no problem, it'd just be no fun.

• Like 6
    Posted

Just found this report too - on Sunday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35280149 

Not only were the walkers completely unprepared for hill climbing - they ignored the concerns of the other members of the party who realised it wasn't going to go well and turned back.

"Lomond Mountain Rescue Team, who were involved in the search, said their footwear was "inadequate" and they had no torches, ice axes or crampons."

"A rescue team spokesman said they were not equipped for tackling a Munro in "full winter conditions". As well as being poorly equipped, the walkers' mobile phones died because the batteries had not been fully charged before they left.
    The spokesman added: "It is clear that they did not fully comprehend the dangers of winter walking."

I mean - come on!!!!

• Like 4
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Just found this report too - on Sunday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35280149 

Not only were the walkers completely unprepared for hill climbing - they ignored the concerns of the other members of the party who realised it wasn't going to go well and turned back.

"Lomond Mountain Rescue Team, who were involved in the search, said their footwear was "inadequate" and they had no torches, ice axes or crampons."

"A rescue team spokesman said they were not equipped for tackling a Munro in "full winter conditions". As well as being poorly equipped, the walkers' mobile phones died because the batteries had not been fully charged before they left.
    The spokesman added: "It is clear that they did not fully comprehend the dangers of winter walking."

I mean - come on!!!!

An all to familiar story I'm afraid. I have a friend that's in mountain rescue and some of the nonsense he's come across is ridiculous.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Of course, anyone going outdoors unprepared is foolish and irresponsible.  And probably English.

• Like 1
    Posted

Just heard Forth Bridge to stay closed overnight, Kincardine Bridge now closed and Clackky bridge down to one lane, so traffic going to be a mess tonight

Edited by Cheggers