Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Oh, a shower has hit and there's just a hint of sleet in the heavier bursts. Wouldn't like to be out in that, driving cold rain/sleet.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted

Warnings updated - not at all surprised to see them reflect the usual northerly 'wishbone' effect. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Patience might be required then as showers look like being rain sleet until well into tomorrow here. 

I was thinking i didn't know what you guys were on about last night re the wind as it was completely still at 11pm.

However house is actually rocking at times today! 

5c, dry but a feels like of about 0c, bitterly cold wind

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Same as me Snowlover.... had warnings for snow for tomorrow and Friday and now have got none for both days but still forecast for heavy snow tonight and tomorrow

Posted

Was a bit surprised that there wasnt warnings out last night for the wind.    It was certainly blowin a hoolie out with us.       Just got very dark all of a sudden with a blast of sleety rain.         Meto keep changing the warnings for the next couple of days.     Likely to be far too close to the sea for any snow with us but those of you lucky to get some over the next few days..   enjoy.

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

Was a bit surprised that there wasnt warnings out last night for the wind.    It was certainly blowin a hoolie out with us.       Just got very dark all of a sudden with a blast of sleety rain.         Meto keep changing the warnings for the next couple of days.     Likely to be far too close to the sea for any snow with us but those of you lucky to get some over the next few days..   enjoy.

There was warnings on Met office, BBC etc but think it should have been orange, at least,  for some areas. 

Edited by Snowlover2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
    1 minute ago, Snowlover2 said:

There was warnings on Met office, BBC etc but think it should have been orange, at least,  for some areas. 

i was also surprised that the wind warning was only a yellow too. it wasnt like a gust of wind it was countine all night here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Yup - I was surprised last night with the strength of the wind - it definitely felt like it should have been higher than a Yellow warning for here! By the time I got to sleep at 6am

Cairngorm had seen a 123mph max gust (it's currently reporting 100mph). Cairnwell was reporting 112mph (currently 98mph).

The drive home update has downgraded the wind and sleet tonight a bit at least, but there is still strong winds and some sleet which will still be horizontal.

Not a fun day to be outside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    1 minute ago, asjmcguire said:

Yup - I was surprised last night with the strength of the wind - it definitely felt like it should have been higher than a Yellow warning for here! By the time I got to sleep at 6am

Cairngorm had seen a 123mph max gust (it's currently reporting 100mph). Cairnwell was reporting 112mph (currently 98mph).

The drive home update has downgraded the wind and sleet tonight a bit at least, but there is still strong winds and some sleet which will still be horizontal.

Not a fun day to be outside!

I took the dogs out for a 4 mile walk at half four this morning, it was fine, a bit blowy but nothing special. I'm originally from the west, I'm hard. 

#southernsofties 

• Like 7
    Posted

When Streetlights are trying to bend over - I describe it as a bit more than "a bit blowy" - you'd do well to present BBC Weather forecasts with those descriptions.....

Posted
    2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Nae power at Fort SS while they take away that fallen tree. Landed on the line that goes to the cottages.

I Don't "like" that you have no power - just acknowledging your post :)

Edited by asjmcguire
    • Like 2
    Posted

Don't "like" - just acknowledging your post :)

Ach it's ok, I'm at work, W. Edinburgh.

It's Mrs SS who's stuck at home withoot any power, so like away. :D

Edited by scottish skier
    • Like 3
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

It should be an automatic revoking of his HGV license, no excuse for stupidity like that. 

Weather...4C and blustery but nothing too severe. Lots of blue sky around but also some menacing clouds. If any of the showers on the weather radar do make it this far East I suspect we'll get a sleety mix at best for the moment. Thursday night still looks like the best bet fore here but I just long for the 'good old days' when you could expect a northerly in Jan to bring snow without all the 'will it won't it be rain/sleet/snow' rubbish.

Agree with Ravelin's last comment. In my younger days (!!!) you could be almost guaranteed snow from a N'ly. Just seems today's N'lys are short-lived, transient and often modified... if they appear at all, which is increasingly infrequently. Anyway, we'll see what transpires over the next few days.

Posted

Now that there is a lot more data - you can really see how striking that really odd +3.3C temperature increase was very early this morning......

temp_compare.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Now that there is a lot more data - you can really see how striking that really odd +3.3C temperature increase was very early this morning......

temp_compare.png

Happened here too...

chart.png

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!
    On 10/01/2017 at 09:27, CatchMyDrift said:

Ignore the quote thingy above, it keeps coming back and I canny get rid of it. Wind picked up here a wee bit now and flurries of snow off and on, then sun.

• Like 2
    Posted
    1 minute ago, mardatha said:

Ignore the quote thingy above, it keeps coming back and I canny get rid of it. Wind picked up here a wee bit now and flurries of snow off and on, then sun.

Hover over it and click on the cross hairs thing that appears at the top left of the quote and then hit delete. :)

• Like 1
    Posted

Strongest gust here 61 mph so far and after showers turning increasingly sleety later this morning we now have frequent hail showers which I can tell you from personal experience hurt like hell when you get caught in them:cold:

Just been out again to fill the bird feeders the poor wee boogers appear to be eating for Scotland today.  I'm trying not to get too excited about the prospect of snow as I live right on the shore but the little kid in me still ensures that I'll be lampost watching well into the wee hours:D

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

You pays your money I suppose - this is Joe B's take for the rest of January (27th) for Europe:-

"2013 Deja VU in europe. Both US and Europe had winter last well into spring ICE AGE now look tho next 15 days 1-5,6-10,10-15, snow"

C145dMjUUAI5c2b.jpg

C145fXOVIAEg5mH.jpg

C145hj3UUAUzgvb.jpg

C145j4pUAAE6X_-.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Snaw showers now here and they're potent. Wind's eased off a bit for the moment. 2.4C/0C - intae the freezer we go. 

Game on! 

Edited by Polar Gael
    adding in temp + DP.
    • Like 5