IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

lol cmd is that Stockholm??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The rain seems to be stuck right over me the last few days. 2C and wet again this morning on my way to work. No real sign of any snow on the local hills though, maybe, just maybe, a smattering of wet stuff on the very highest tops but it was hard to tell. Piste basher was out on the Lecht webcam earlier, looking quite snowy up there, I wonder if they'll try to open something at the weekend, or if the milder weather will arrive and kill all that nice snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Back briefly to the Black Isle this morning and looking across the firth, the hills to the north looked splendidly wintry in a way they haven't at this time of year for a good few years.  Clouds clinging to their damp slopes and glowing orange with the reflected light.

Chilly still - the car said no more than 3.5C up till an hour ago. Winter tyres NOW!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Snow is virtually gone now. Ended up with around 5cm for a day and a half, good going for this time of the season!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Same here, minus 2.5 exactly. White frozen car and white sweary husband.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' all! A tropical 8.5c here today, time to switch the heating aff! Calm too, but breeziness expected tonight. 

Posted

Crisp underfoot, clear skies, still, nice sunrise, 0c and some windscreen scraping will be necessary shortly.

sunrise 14.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

-3.5C here and the most obvious looking frost so far thus season , probably due to the moisture from all the rain we've had in recent days. 

Posted

Beautiful cold, frosty, pinky dawn this morning. You really feel winter is coming as, on cue, a skien of noisy geese fly overhead. What's not to love about Scotland?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.   Really expected a minus this a.m. but nope.  Currently 0.9c after an overnight low of 0.3c so it never quite made it below freezing here.   Still, first real frost I have seen this season.   More please!

aircam_thumb.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

There was also a minimum of -2.5C in Grangemouth. I love cold, sunny, frosty mornings, although high cloud spreading in from the West.

Posted

As others have said a cold/frosty start here. A nice finish to what's been a cold week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Like @CatchMyDrift I knew we were going to be too far East to get anything from the recent snow event - I stayed awake ALL night and despite the radar saying we had light rain over us for several hours - the roads remained bone dry. We eventually got 0.5mm of wetness out of the system around 9am on Wednesday - but not any snow or even sleet.

It was during this event that I discovered that Lamp Post Watching is no longer possible since they replaced them with those horrible bright white LED things which you literally can't stare at for more than 10 seconds without feeling like you are staring at the sun.

So - undeterred - I decided to create a page on Scottish Borders Weather that tracks the temperature of various Met Office Weather Stations, Airports, Traffic Scotland Stations and Personal Weather stations across Scotland for this winter period. (I'm still waiting for actual permission from Traffic Scotland - so that data may vanish at some point in the next 20-30 days) Please feel free to use it (it's not actually linked anywhere yet - so you'll need to bookmark it) - and just as a forewarning - Stornoway Airport appears to have some issues and sometimes reports -23 or -17 or -4 and then in the next update jumps back to +6 or +7 so probably best to ignore it.

At the moment the page refreshes every 2 minutes but I'm intending to do away with the refresh and update it dynamically with JQuery - and then I'll add a simpler version of the page to the mobile friendly section of the site.

http://www.bordersweather.co.uk/wxleague.php (Note Max temps at top, Min temps about half way down)

Edited by Andrew Simon Jones
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It was fairly mild here this morning, car was claiming 3C with no ice at all. Must have been icy after all that rain yesterday afternoon and evening ;) 

The overnight period was quite odd to be honest - my league table had 20 out of the top 25 (coldest) stations below freezing, and places like Strathallan and Peebles reporting colder than the Cairngorm Summit (-2.6), meanwhile I'm sitting here watching my station struggle to fall below 4.1..... 

EDIT: An I knew something odd was going on when earlier in the day I noticed that Weather Underground, Yr.no, DarkSky and BBC all were forecasting wildly different temperatures for us at around the same time (8AM), forceasts ranged from -5 through to +7

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Another mild morning to report here! It did get a wee bit breezy last night but nothing to write home about. I'd love some cold, crisp days but nothing doing this week according to forecasts!

Posted

A very mild night, also quite a wet one. The league table runs from +15 to +1.2 (yup the temperature at the Cairngorm Summit has finally risen above freezing). It's currently 8.1 in Greenlaw and the pressure over 24 hours has dropped from 1020mb to 1006mb but is now very much on the rise.

Cairngorm Summit temperature.

Posted

Very wet overnight but nice sunny dry morning here at the moment.   8.6c wsw  9mph.

aircam_pic.php.jpe

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A chilly spell just gone, very very brief snow in Stirling on Tuesday night but nice to see all the same. Precipitation just didn't go far enough east really.

As back home, despite being fairly near the coast, we had snowcover for a few hours in the morning with everything white. Friends who live a little further north and west saw a few inches.

Lived in this house 8 years and can't think of a November snowfall really excluding 2010. That did produce snow and cold, then mild and then we all know what happened next.

So pretty rare.

Seems like a milder slot now before we get chiller by the weeks end. More standard fare (not without interest for some of you infavourable  northern positions) but with eyes really on the last week of November into December.

Strong indications that we will have a decent chance of a cold pattern emerging, whether the UK gets a direct hit during the first 6-8 weeks of winter when conditions are favourable is far more tricky.

Fingers crossed. Tbh, i'd far rather have a cold December and January with a milder February than the other way around.

Only had 2/3 snowy birthdays that i can remember (14th December) so like 3/15. For the first 5 years i lived higher up and 95,96 were cold years were they not so probably

5/20 so far. Hopefully i can hit 6/21 :)

Posted

Another beautiful sunrise - calm with a slight frost - temp 0c - just how I like autumn / winter mornings. :)

On the subject of waxwings, I had an unsuccessful trip to Montrose yesterday in search.  According to local sources there is one, possibly two small flocks there at the moment - at least yesterday afternoon. If anyone is nearby and interested, I can supply details of the location.

sunrise_13-1.jpg           sunrise_13-2.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Yep, light rain  all day here!

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, frogesque said:

Driech!

It's the only word (printable) for this afternoon's weather. 

Yes same here although mild at 10c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Does this autumn feel a bit like late 2008 to anyone? My memory isn't that great, but the alternating pattern of cold/mild/cold seems to remind me of that year.