Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted

Wind woke me up through the night, it was howling. Quieter now.

An interesting 4 days coming up. Catch previously mentioned the little feature running south tomorrow (Thursday night). This will be a tightrope as milder air is pushed into Aberdeenshire down to Fife and East Lothian on the latest GFS run, with areas to the West staying in the cold air. Could be a good little snow event for some and a rain/sleet disappointment for others. One to watch as a slight change in the track will make all the difference, which is why the Met Office forecasts are referring to 'rain, sleet and snow' spreading from the north. 

Plenty of cold air before and after that feature mind you, but for those that miss the showers it's another shot at snow.

• Like 3
    Posted

If wind severity was classified using the noise round my house we'd be off the scale!

Edited by 101_North
    • Like 5
    Posted

I see the BBC weather pages are forecasting heavy snow through tonight and tomorrow - will be interesting to see how it pans out - Stirling needs a westerly to see decent snow, anything coming from a more northerly direction gets swallowed up by the hills.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    11 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Wind woke me up through the night, it was howling. Quieter now.

An interesting 4 days coming up. Catch previously mentioned the little feature running south tomorrow (Thursday night). This will be a tightrope as milder air is pushed into Aberdeenshire down to Fife and East Lothian on the latest GFS run, with areas to the West staying in the cold air. Could be a good little snow event for some and a rain/sleet disappointment for others. One to watch as a slight change in the track will make all the difference, which is why the Met Office forecasts are referring to 'rain, sleet and snow' spreading from the north. 

Plenty of cold air before and after that feature mind you, but for those that miss the showers it's another shot at snow.

Euro4 tantalises at +48hrs:

IMG_1713.GIF

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Very blustery during the night but a bit calmer now. We had horizontal sleet too and I expect more of the same over the next few days. Not building my hopes up for anything more than sleet here, snow rarely lies up here, it'll probably get blown away anyway!

• Like 1
    Posted

Sleet showers here after quite a windy night.  Can't grumble at the forecast...

Regional forecast

Strathclyde

Headline:

Squally wintry showers, snow to low levels later.

Today:

Frequent blustery showers with sleet and hail, perhaps thunder towards the coast. Showers turning to snow over the higher ground, but to low levels in the afternoon. Very strong winds especially near showers. Maximum Temperature 4C.

Tonight:

Frequent snow showers through the evening and night coupled with strong or gale force winds. Snow lying even at low levels with drifting, making for some travel difficulties. Minimum Temperature 1C.

Thursday:

Further wintry showers with snow to low levels and some drifting possible in the strong westerly winds. Showers dying out later in the day. Maximum Temperature 3C.

Updated: 02:35 on Wed 11 Jan 2017 GMT

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
    24 minutes ago, 101_North said:

If wind severity was classified using the noise round my house we'd be off the scale!

This probably made a bit of noise as it went over - hope none of you need to cross the Forth Road bridge imminently. 

Have a lot of driving tomorrow and must be the only nw member not praying for the southern snow. Hence hiding in here to vicariously enjoy yours :)

IMG_0229.JPG

• Like 9
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Soaring Hawk said:

This probably made a bit of noise as it went over - hope none of you need to cross the Forth Road bridge imminently. 

Have a lot of driving tomorrow and must be the only nw member not praying for the southern snow. Hence hiding in here to vicariously enjoy yours :)

IMG_0229.JPG

See the gap between the carriageways ?

That's straight down into the Forth.

The truck driver has had a lucky escape - probably needing a new pair of pants I should imagine.

• Like 7
    Posted

Stormy morning gusty wind squally showers and currently 3.2c.Looking out at cows and they are all sitting on straw not queued up at gate ready to go to turnips as normal ."think we"ll give a miss its horrible out there" they are real characters!!

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Still in Cornwall so almost certainly going to miss the snow unless it sticks around to the weekend (assuming it comes).

It was quite windy here too yesterday, kids went a bit mental running around on the beach burning off the sugar overload from the trip to their gran's. View from outside her flat below.

Will be watching thread with green eyes tomorrow.

DSC_0144.JPG

• Like 2
    Posted

Just reading that the bridge was closed to high sided vehicles when the lorry blew over, and that a man has been charged.

What an idiot - he's lucky there wasn't anything in the other lane when he blew over.

Posted

Wet and wild, and that is just the weather. Wee ones been up most of the night with the noise as it was not a lot of gusting, just constant gales.

Very raw outside and temp seems to be dropping, now at 3C here, and also a wee dusting appeared on the Ochils

Edited by Cheggers
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

MOD will be in mourning i would guess given the easterly de-railing and just more of a UK high being the form horse.

So let's enjoy what (if any) snow does come and fall, looks like some meaty showers are forecast but it will be hit and miss and still a bit too marginal to have any real confidence

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Bit breezy overnight and continuing blustery this morning with horizontal sleet showers. Tops of the surrounding hills already back in their winter plumage. 3.4C/1C and feels baltic. 

Latest TOORPing Therapy Centre update: the GFS appears to have gone cold turkey and the ECM & METO are sobering up - all backing away from the 'Beasterly' (sort of). 

"And a black cloud* did appear over all of Fluffyshire and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth before breakfast."

*unfortunately, it was not snow bearing. 

Edited by Polar Gael
    GFS doing the (B)easterly hokey-cokey
    • Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Rainfall just turned to snowfall in Kingussie my folks report. Too wet to lie currently but throwing it round in the wind. I told them I was jealous :-P

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    30 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Just reading that the bridge was closed to high sided vehicles when the lorry blew over, and that a man has been charged.

What an idiot - he's lucky there wasn't anything in the other lane when he blew over.

It should be an automatic revoking of his HGV license, no excuse for stupidity like that. 

Weather...4C and blustery but nothing too severe. Lots of blue sky around but also some menacing clouds. If any of the showers on the weather radar do make it this far East I suspect we'll get a sleety mix at best for the moment. Thursday night still looks like the best bet fore here but I just long for the 'good old days' when you could expect a northerly in Jan to bring snow without all the 'will it won't it be rain/sleet/snow' rubbish.

• Like 4
    Posted

Got caught in a lovely cold rain shower. You can't help the weather just waiting for the final ingredient to take place then we can start talking about snow

Posted
    46 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

He was travelling northbound and blew onto southbound. Glad he's been charged, absolute imbecile. 

Posted

Well the transition to snow this morn was slower than I expected but it's firmly been snow within the last hour or two. Hopefully a snowy wee period ahead for plenty of us. Fingers crossed the @Hawesy forecast materialises.. Eyes on the temperatures too, maybe we'll see some parts go well in to the below zero-teens come Saturday 

Terrible timing but I'm meant to be going to Glasgow today then back up the A9 tomorrow morn, should be interesting.. it's January though and at least it's finally acting like it!

Currently 0.9c and heavy snow  

• Like 7
    Posted

Pretty blustery overnight with the wind whipping around the back of the house. Bin day today so they were everywhere this morning. Sat next a drafty northwest facing office window with the wind is whistling through. Few branches down but nothing of note. Currently blue sky but earlier showers did have some sleet in them and the temp in the car dropped from 5c to 3c in the heaviest shower on the way to work.

Had a lorry from the same company as that on the FRB wedged down a narrow street in our village in November!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Showers piling through, but just to the North of Dyce so although I can see the big dark clouds I can't really say what mix they contain. Looks like wet snow showers on the Braemar webcam (http://braemarscotland.co.uk/snowgate-webcam/).

• Like 1
    Posted

If that comes off for the SE of the UK then my TV and radio might be unplugged for a bit....

17011218_1100.gif

Closer to home and there's 'potential' on the Euro4 for round here starting this evening. We never do great from the west so if anything settles in the next day or so I'll be happy.

17011118_1100.gif 17011200_1100.gif

Friday night still looking good for the NE especially. 

17011300_1100.gif

• Like 3